• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

GMU, how could you?

muzz3256

imported post

From a VCDL alert sent this morining:

( http://tinyurl.com/2kza4w )

Killings Focus Attention on Security at Colleges
By Valerie Strauss and Amy Gardner Washington
Post Staff Writers Saturday, August 18, 2007; B03

With the Virginia Tech massacre still fresh in the minds of students returning to campuses across the nation, universities and colleges this fall are taking new steps to address security issues.

The concerns run deep. A new poll suggests that half the students headed to college this year will feel less safe on campus because of the April rampage, in which a Virginia Tech senior killed 32 people before taking his own life.

Some George Mason University students sought a loosening of restrictions on carrying concealed weapons there, saying they want to be in a position to defend themselves if a similar event should occur.

But security-minded GMU officials acted yesterday to strengthen the ban on carrying weapons on campus. Only police officers are exempt from the policy.

"Just as our institution is committed to providing students with the best possible education, we are equally dedicated to establishing the safest possible environment for our students to pursue their educational goals," said Thomas Hennessey, GMU's chief of staff.

Colleges and universities have spent millions of dollars to update emergency procedures since Seung Hui Cho's rampage at Virginia Tech. Some campuses have installed surveillance cameras, and others have installed computer programs that alert students and parents to emergencies. There were numerous complaints that Virginia Tech officials were slow to alert those on campus about the shootings.

This fall, the University of Richmond will use a new notification system that can reach every student by text message, e-mail or voice mail in the event of an emergency. The University of the District of Columbia is installing a public address system to inform students of incidents.

At Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, thousands of students will receive new bookmarks with tips on staying safe.

David Ceasar, 22, a first-year graduate student at George Washington University, said: "Parents who send their kids away to colleges all around the country are always worried about safety and want to keep a watchful eye, but especially in the Washington, D.C., area because we are the nation's capital and the threat of terrorism here is higher."

A new era of security on college and university campuses began with the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks on New York and the Pentagon, school officials say. Those attacks, followed quickly by a national anthrax scare, prompted institutions of higher education to begin revamping their security structures. The sense of vulnerability was reinforced a year later by the Washington area sniper shootings. Security plans have been evolving since.

"Virginia Tech served as another exclamation point," said Sally Weinbrom Kram, director of public and governmental affairs for the Consortium of Universities of the Washington Metropolitan Area.

A survey commissioned by MTV and conducted by the consulting firm OTX asked 200 people heading off to college whether the Virginia Tech shootings will affect how safe they feel on campus this year. Half of them said it would.

The GMU students who want gun restrictions eased contend that fewer people might have died at Virginia Tech if those with permits to carry guns had been allowed to enter university facilities while armed.

"What is the point of telling somebody that their life is so unimportant that they should not be allowed to defend it?" asked Philip Van Cleave, president of the Virginia Citizens Defense League and a supporter of the students' request. "Where does the university come off defending such a policy?"

The GMU Board of Visitors voted yesterday to adopt a new policy prohibiting guns on campus, because of concern that the ban might be susceptible to legal challenge. The new policy has been deemed legally acceptable by the university's attorneys and by the office of the Virginia attorney general, GMU spokesman Dan Walsch said. "That's not to say there won't still be a legal challenge," he said.

Other security initiatives have been implemented at GMU. Campus buildings will be locked after hours, and key cards will be required to enter dormitories.

On many campuses, students and faculty members will have access to new text-messaging emergency notification systems. Some, including Catholic University in the District, allow parents to receive alerts.

Georgia Tech's emergency alert system went into effect this month. More than 4,200 students have signed up for text and voice mail notifications, and the number is growing by about 100 or more a day, officials there said.

UDC's public address system is not so high-tech, though it can sound warnings across the campus. Kram said such systems do not convey precise information. For example, one beep might mean "shelter in place," and two might mean get off campus as fast as possible.

"You have to do some education with these systems," she said.
Here is a poll. Let them hear from us!

( http://www.myfoxdc.com/myfox/ )

muzz3256

imported post

The GMU Board of Visitors voted yesterday to adopt a new policy prohibiting guns on campus
May not have had a chance to update the webpage yet?

Also, VCDL Alert:

If you would like to communicate on this matter with the University Provost, Dr. Peter N. Stearns, here is his email address:

pstearns@gmu.edu

Ironically, Dr. Stearns is a member of the HISTORY department!
Surely he, of all people, should know that those who don't learn from history, are doomed to repeat it.

My email is already sent.

TEX1N

imported post

Tess wrote:
What am I missing here? New policy is at http://www.gmu.edu/facstaff/policy/newpolicy/1120gen.html and I can't see a difference anywhere except Section II from the old policy.

Still no punishment listed; still applies to students, faculty, and staff.

There must be something more that I haven't seen.
That's not the newest policy. The newest policy was enacted on Friday (8-17-07), so it should be on GMU's website within the next few months :banghead:

I've attached a press release from GMU on the new policy.

Attachments

• GMU Press Release on BOVs Weapons Policy.pdf
    104.6 KB · Views: 126

TEX1N

imported post

Ok, lets take a comparative look at this.

VA Attorney General's Opinion on College Carry [emphasis added]:

It is my opinion that the safe operation of the campus allows regulation of, or under limited circumstances, prohibition of, firearms by any persons attending events on campus, visiting dormitories or classroom buildings, attending specific events as invitees, or under any circumstance permitted by law. The universal prohibition of firearms by properly permitted persons other than students, faculty, administration, or employees, however, is not allowed under law.
&

GMU's Press Release on their new Weapons Policy [emphasis added]:

The BOV's decision prohibits the university students and employees, with the exception of law enforcement officers, from carrying or bringing weapons onto campus. It also prevents the members of the community at large from entering any campus buildings and/or facilities or attending any event on campus with a weapon.
You do the math!!! ;)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Progress is supposed move forward not back-ass-wards!
When will they learn? What will it take?
More sheep for the wolves.:cuss::banghead:
Yata hey

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

That's just what I want my daughter to have when she goes to college, no means of protecting herself, instead she gets a text message saying she is about to die.. have a nice day.

:banghead:

LoveMyCountry

gsh341

imported post

TEX1N wrote:
Ok, lets take a comparative look at this.

VA Attorney General's Opinion on College Carry [emphasis added]:

It is my opinion that the safe operation of the campus allows regulation of, or under limited circumstances, prohibition of, firearms by any persons attending events on campus, visiting dormitories or classroom buildings, attending specific events as invitees, or under any circumstance permitted by law. The universal prohibition of firearms by properly permitted persons other than students, faculty, administration, or employees, however, is not allowed under law.
&

GMU's Press Release on their new Weapons Policy [emphasis added]:

The BOV's decision prohibits the university students and employees, with the exception of law enforcement officers, from carrying or bringing weapons onto campus. It also prevents the members of the community at large from entering any campus buildings and/or facilities or attending any event on campus with a weapon.
You do the math!!! ;)
It would appear as if the GMU policy is in violation of VA state law.

nova

imported post

Hi everyone...I'm new here.

I'm starting at mason this fall (next week to be exact) and to tell you the truth this new policy is a huge slap in the face :quirky

I'm still not old enough for a CCW permit yet (old enoughto OC though but that's not the issue.) but I fully support the effort...but this new policy is a step in the wrong direction for sure.

Scheetz

imported post

Tomorrow I will be emailing GMU. I was considering taking 2 classes there so I can transfer them to my current college but not any more.

nova

imported post

I really hope they change their policy...I mean...Mason does have a good law school...:)

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

[align=left]nova wrote:
...but hopefully they'll change it.

Don't hold your breath, my friend.

Even in Virginia, academia tends to represent islands of liberal idiocy in a large sea of traditonal, conservative values.

:banghead:
[/align]

TEX1N

imported post

AbNo wrote:
Ditto, GMU's off my transfer list, as well...
The problem with the free market mindset when applied to this issue, is simply that there are currently not enough colleges that allow carry, and there are a lot of other factors that affect a persons need for an education. In the area of education I would surmise that we have a somewhat controlled marked.

Meaning that if you decide to go to a four year institution that allows carry, you are limited to CO State University and public colleges in UT. Which to someone on the east coast could mean an exorbitant price tag, in addition to possibly limited degree choices.

If you want things to change you are going to have to step up and fight for it.

sjhipple

imported post

nova wrote:
Hi everyone...I'm new here.

I'm starting at mason this fall (next week to be exact) and to tell you the truth this new policy is a huge slap in the face :quirky

I'm still not old enough for a CCW permit yet (old enoughto OC though but that's not the issue.) but I fully support the effort...but this new policy is a step in the wrong direction for sure.
There's an effort at GMUto change the policy. Join here. We're having a meeting on Thursday. One thing Mason has going for it is that we have very libertarian faculty in the Economics and Law departments, so we have a fighting chance of changing this policy. It may take a few years though.

AbNo

imported post

TEX1N wrote:
Meaning that if you decide to go to a four year institution that allows carry, you are limited to CO State University and public colleges in UT.  Which to someone on the east coast could mean an exorbitant price tag, in addition to possibly limited degree choices.

If you want things to change you are going to have to step up and fight for it.

Didn't say I would be not attending without telling them. ;)

Kendo_Bunny

imported post

I worked with a bunch of GMU girls last year... sorority girls. Apparently a few frat brothers were robbed at gunpoint last Christmas- for a cell phone and $50.

sjhipple

imported post

Kendo_Bunny wrote:
I worked with a bunch of GMU girls last year... sorority girls. Apparently a few frat brothers were robbed at gunpoint last Christmas- for a cell phone and $50.
That's impossible. GMU is a gun free zone.:idea: