• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

pistol permit

dave1289

imported post

Are there any counties in Alabama that will issue and non-resident pistol permit to someone 18 years old. I've done some searching of my own but the lowest minimum age that I can find is 19.

dave1289

imported post

kurtmax_0 wrote:
I'm not sure that Alabama issues non-resident permits...

You have to be a resident of the county you apply in iirc.

Some counties said that you had to be a resident some did not. I'm not sure if the State law says anything about that.

Dave

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

dave1289 wrote:
kurtmax_0 wrote:
I'm not sure that Alabama issues non-resident permits...

You have to be a resident of the county you apply in iirc.

Some counties said that you had to be a resident some did not. I'm not sure if the State law says anything about that.

Dave
Section 13A-11-75License to carry pistol in vehicle or concealed on person - Issuance; term; form; fee; revocation. The sheriff of a county, upon the application of any person residing in that county..........

Alabama doesn't issue a non-resident Pistol License

dave1289

imported post

Comp-tech wrote:
Section 13A-11-75License to carry pistol in vehicle or concealed on person - Issuance; term; form; fee; revocation. The sheriff of a county, upon the application of any person residing in that county..........

Alabama doesn't issue a non-resident Pistol License

Well, looks like I'll just have to keep it in the trunk while I'm there.

Thanks
-Dave

Kingfish

imported post

dave1289 wrote:

Yea, I checked the states that issue non resident permits (for Alabama reciprocity) and they are all 21+. Without establishing residency, you will need to keep it locked up.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

kingfish wrote:
dave1289 wrote:

Yea, I checked the states that issue non resident permits (for Alabama reciprocity) and they are all 21+. Without establishing residency, you will need to keep it locked up.

The State of Utah will accept a CCW permit holder that is younger than 21.

For example IF you were from Wyoming you could apply for permit as young as 18-21 and it would be valid according to Clark Aposhian, the Chairman of the Board @ BCI, in Utah;)

Kingfish

imported post

macgulley wrote:
Alabama has reciprocity with MS so if you're licensed there you should be OK in AL.

Would be safe to assume he is not a permit holder at all since he is asking if he can get and AL non resident permit....

And...

Mississippi issues at 21+
http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/MSSL.pdf

"The Dept. of Public Safety “shall issue” a license to carry a concealed pistol or revolver to an applicant who is 21, been a resident of the state for over 12 months..."

dave1289

imported post

Thank you all for your replies.

I really don't understand why I can't get a permit hear in Mississippi. I can vote, I have to pay taxes, and I can serve in the military at 18, but I can't legally carry a firearm on my person until I'm 21. I think it's really screwed up here.

Thanks again
-Dave

Deacon Blues

imported post

dave1289 wrote:
I can vote, I have to pay taxes, and I can serve in the military at 18, but I can't legally carry a firearm on my person until I'm 21.
Old enough to defend our nation's interests abroad, but not to defend yourself at home. Doesn't seem to add up, does it?

I would love to see a bill to change this, but you know what the headlines would look like.

PT111

imported post

One thing to keep in mind that even if you get a permit from a state with a reciprocal agreement the state laws that you are in at the time apply. If you you have an Alabama permitand are in Mississippi then Mississippi laws would apply. In most cases if you are under 21 then it would not be good in a state that requires you to be 21.

dave1289

imported post

PT111 wrote:
One thing to keep in mind that even if you get a permit from a state with a reciprocal agreement the state laws that you are in at the time apply. If you you have an Alabama permitand are in Mississippi then Mississippi laws would apply. In most cases if you are under 21 then it would not be good in a state that requires you to be 21.
Well the main reason I wanted a permit was for car carry in Alabama. I don't think I would have a problem carrying in MS. I don't think that the MS law says that you have to be 21 to carry if you have a permit from a state that will issue at a younger age. Thats what the guy at the Firearm Permits Unit in Jackson told me. Could be wrong though.

kurtmax_0

imported post

It depends on the state. I looked up Tennessee permit laws and it seems that, even though you must be 21 to get a Tennessee permit, they recognize other valid state licenses regardless of your age.