• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Taser C2

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

This new Taser C2 is pretty nifty. It looks effective, too. I think it has a chance of great commercial success. And that would probably be good for the pro-gun position.

I will recommend it to women. I tink it isa great self-defense tool with adequate training/preparation.

If Taser has success in the consumer market, there should be some beneficial effect on firearm ownership, self-defense and carry.

The video at the link below kind of tells the story: "It doesn't feel like a weapon...not as threatening asa gun..."

I'd guess that it wouldbe OK to OC, too. That would be interesting...

Aug 12, 2007 8:58 pm US/Mountain

TASER Markets Gun As Self-Defense Tool For Women

Karlyn Tilley
Reporting

(CBS4) DENVER It's small, sleek and can take down an attacker in seconds. Now the TASER has taken on a new look and is now being marketed as a self-defense tool for women. With the new design, the company is hoping it will get more use from female citizens.

Statistics show about one out of 100 people gets assaulted every year in this country, so personal protection has become a big industry.

The TASER shoots at a distance of up to 15 feet carrying a voltage of 50,000 watts for 30 seconds to take down an attacker.

"Their muscles contract, they can no longer attack you, but you're not causing any physical damage to the hardware of the human body," Chief Executive Officer of TASER International Rick Smith said.

Considered the lowest risk of injury of any police force tool, the TASER gun has been used for years by law enforcement, but through the years the gun has gotten smaller and now it comes with a completely different shape.

"It doesn't feel like a weapon in my hand and I guess that's what makes me feel more comfortable with it," shopper Connie Vazquez said.

Shoppers got a lesson on the TASER gun Saturday and then they got to shoot it.

The TASER gun shoots out two metal hooks attached to wire which delivers the electric shock. It also shoots out confetti which can trace the gun back to its owner. And now it even comes in a variety of colors to attract consumers.

"They have something that is not as threatening as a gun and not as benign as pepper spray, that's what drew me to it." Vazquez said.

But the TASER doesn't replace common sense.

"The best thing you can do to be safe is to pay attention to your environment around you , not to get over confident and not to take unnecessary risks," Smith said.

The TASER gun is not a risk-free device. There have been serious injuries and even some deaths reported, but officials say the more serious injuries are usually head traumas when the person who's been shot falls down.

Any adult can buy a TASER weapon, but the company says it can only be activated if you pass its background check first.

http://cbs4denver.com/consumer/local_story_224230051.html

tapper95

imported post

That article is actually pretty fair...

Kimber is also going into the less-than-lethal market with their LifeAct line of pepper sprays... They are marketing them as an alternative if you find yourself in a situation where you don't wan tot use lethal force, but hand to hand is not a safe bet... which it never is if you are carrying... but in case you have been under a rock, or don't read gun magazines, you've got to check them out... they are much more effective than the old sprays that every jogger and college coed was supposed to carry...

http://www.life-act.com/

compmanio365

imported post

My wife was looking at the one that is not the pistol, but the other......said she would like something like that. She already has pepper spray, it is pretty good, but that wouldn't be a bad idea for someone to have.

DrewGunner

imported post

I have a 75,000 volt stun gun. I would never consider using it for self defense.

Like the article says "Their muscles contract, they can no longer attack you..." This is true, but only when the voltage is flowing. When you release the trigger, no voltage, no contracted muscles, just a pissed off attacker.

My buddies and I zap eachother with it all the time. No one has ever been knockout by it, even with the juice on 15- 20 seconds. Maybe this one has got a little more kick to it, I'd sure hope so if you plan on using it to save your life.

Think I'll be sticking with my .45

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Pepper spray is not a very reliable self defense tool. In my several years working as a security guard, I used pepper spray many times in defense of myself and others. The stuff I used was a 12% OC mix (highest % legal in California), and it was effective about 75% of the time. Even among those affected by it, there are varying degrees of incapacitation.

For example, one time I stumbled upon two women (a domestic couple) who were having a loud argument at about 1:00 AM at a motel where I was working. I attempted to calm the two, but suddenly one lept on the other and started beating her about the face. Not wanting to chance a gun grab in a 2-on-1 struggle, I chose to subdue the aggressor with pepper spray. I scored a direct hit, but the 'victim' got some splash and vapor due to their close proximity. The victim immediately assumed the fetal position and started screaming and crying. The aggressor, who had pepper spray covering her face, immediately stood up and moved towards me in an aggressive manner. This left me scrambling backwards while holstering my pepper spray and drawing/extending my asp baton. (The police arrived at that exact moment, and were able to take control of the two without any further use of force.)

While pepper spray me be an easy option, I would definitely discourage it as an only option. Carry some more reliable tools to supplement it, or just skip the spray altogether.

DrewGunner

imported post

I've been hit with pepper spray before, I couldn't see anything, but it did not put medown what-so-ever, just made me very, very angry. Once again, my buddies and I was screwing around, I managed to grab my buddy and kick his a**. I think the pepper spray was more affective then the stun gun, neither stopped me, but the pepper spray blinded me.

I wasinthe drive-thru at jack in the box once, two cars in front of me, the people in the car start arguing with the other, driver of car one gets out throws some garbage at car 2, driver of car 2 gets out yelling at drive of car 1, drive of car 1 pulls out some pepper spray and gets drive 2 right in the face, then jumps back in her car. This is where it gets good. The girl that got sprayed (both drivers were females) reaches in the half way closedwindow of car 1, unlocks the door, opens it, pulls the girl out by her hair and well, lets just say that the drive of car 1 should never have gotten out for her car.

Hot sauce vs. a half an ouncespeice of lead moving at 800ft/sec.

tapper95

imported post

I like the way Kimber is marketing their stuff as another option... not your only option... The Kimber stuff also claims to be significantly more accurate and effective than the old keychain crap...

The biggest problem with tasers or spray is that you have to be close enough to use it...

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Sitrep wrote:
How about a taser module that mounts to your gun. Heck add a pepper spray unit to it too. Gives you one weapon with 3 progressive levels of force.:D
I don't think a taser mount would be a bad idea, we are probably years away from that type of technology though, would be nice to mount on a equip. rail.

Or... we could just create a gun that fires batteries!:p

tarzan1888

imported post

Sitrep wrote:
How about a taser module that mounts to your gun. Heck add a pepper spray unit to it too. Gives you one weapon with 3 progressive levels of force.:D

Sitrep Location:Seattle

Figures :banghead:

It is really easy.

If you feel that your life is in danger you stop the threat.

You use the quickest and most effective force available to stop said threat.

If you spend a lot of time trying to decide which of several gadgets that you have might be the minimum force required to stop this threat, the threat will stop you.

End of Story :banghead:

Use your head and stay safe.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

tarzan1888 wrote:
Sitrep wrote:

Sitrep Location:Seattle

Figures :banghead:

It is really easy.

If you feel that your life is in danger you stop the threat.

You use the quickest and most effective force available to stop said threat.

If you spend a lot of time trying to decide which of several gadgets that you have might be the minimum force required to stop this threat, the threat will stop you.

End of Story :banghead:

Not entirely true. You cannot use "the quickest and most effective force available" if it results in excessive force being used.

Remember HankT's admonition on unthinking and/ortestosterone-based civilian self-defense:

You'll be sorry if you use excessive force. :cry:

tarzan1888

imported post

HankT wrote:
Not entirely true. You cannot use "the quickest and most effective force available" if it results in excessive force being used.

Remember HankT's admonition on unthinking and/ortestosterone-based civilian self-defense:

We are not the Police

If our life or the life of an innocent party is threatened, we have the right to use sufficient force to stop the threat.

I know HankT that you are hung up on excessive force.

In my world, (and my state) we are allowed to use force, even force likely to cause death, in the defense of ourselves or a third party, from a threat to life or limb.

When a person decides to cause great bodily harm, maim, assault, kill or so on, another another person, this person becomes a threat. We are allowed to use the quickest and most effective means at out disposal to stop that threat.

You have heard it before, but here it is again.

I felt my life, (or the life of another) was in danger. I stopped that threat.

My lawyer will answer all other questions.

I stopped the threat. I did not attempt to stop it. I did not sort of stop it. I STOPPED IT! for me nothing less is acceptable.

HankT you do what you feel you mustand I will do the same.

I hope that neither ofus ever have tostop a threat, but if the need arises, I hope that we are both up to the task.

I can't help but feel that it would cause us both great pain to do so, but I can't help but feel that the pain of not saving an innocent person from a threat, would be greater.

Tarzan

DrewGunner

imported post

tarzan1888 wrote:
HankT wrote:

We are not the Police

If our life or the life of an innocent party is threatened, we have the right to use sufficient force to stop the threat.

I know HankT that you are hung up on excessive force.

In my world, (and my state) we are allowed to use force, even force likely to cause death, in the defense of ourselves or a third party, from a threat to life or limb.

When a person decides to cause great bodily harm, maim, assault, kill or so on, another another person, this person becomes a threat. We are allowed to use the quickest and most effective means at out disposal to stop that threat.

You have heard it before, but here it is again.

I felt my life, (or the life of another) was in danger. I stopped that threat.

My lawyer will answer all other questions.

I stopped the threat. I did not attempt to stop it. I did not sort of stop it. I STOPPED IT! for me nothing less is acceptable.

HankT you do what you feel you mustand I will do the same.

I hope that neither ofus ever have tostop a threat, but if the need arises, I hope that we are both up to the task.

I can't help but feel that it would cause us both great pain to do so, but I can't help but feel that the pain of not saving an innocent person from a threat, would be greater.

Tarzan

Yea, there'sno middle ground. There's no should I use my expandable baton, pepper spray, taser, or run? There is "stop" then there is "stop or I'll shoot" and there is "BANG"! (And in certain cases steps 1 and 2 can be skipped).

DrewGunner (Location: Seattle)

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

DrewGunner wrote:
Yea, there'sno middle ground. There's no should I use my expandable baton, pepper spray, taser, or run? There is "stop" then there is "stop or I'll shoot" and there is "BANG"! (And in certain cases steps 1 and 2 can be skipped).

This is very limited. Too limited, really. Just tough-sounding talk. Too gun-first.

Discrimination is good. Preparedness for non-dichotomous situations is wise.

What if you're dealing with an unarmed assailant/threat? Or only a potential threat?

Remember HankT's Postulate of Civilian Self-Defense:

It is a bad strategy to shoot an unarmed person.

In any event, good luck to you.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

khmer_gentleman wrote:
can a taser be OC'ed?

I think that most state laws will allow this, primarily by not defining a Taser as a firearm or deadly weapon.

A fascinating question is generated bya civilianwho wouldOC a Taser.

OCing a firearm isgenerally touted as a deterrent to attack/crime. But is it the same for OCing a Taser? Would OCing a Taser be a deterent toattack/crime?

What do others think?