Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open Carry on vacation

Post imported post

I'll be going to Spokane Washington for vacation to visit my mother. Can'twait! and of course if I DO have any issues, my uncle is head detective, and my step father used to be on the swat team, but from what I've read, washington is fairly easy on OC

I live in Colorado and OC is fully legal (except downtown Denver) so I'll feel just like I'm at home

Post imported post

Just remember, to legally OC in a vehicle, you must have a valid CPL/CWP (i.e. WA-issued or other state that WA recognizes - CO not being one of them according to http://www.handgunlaw.us/).

Otherwise, it must be unloaded and in an opaque case or secure wrapper, while within a vehicle.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Post imported post

Yeah I won't have to worry about OC in a vehical. The gun never leaves my hip and if I happend to get pulled over, well I can just throw the gun in my center console right quick and lock it, doubt I'll my truck searched

Post imported post

Um, that will still get you hit with it being loaded. I don't condone illegal actions, but if you're going to carry in a vehical without a permit, I'd go condition 3 and pull the mag out before "stashing" it, since then it's unloaded.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Post imported post

Just to have the "Link"...

RCW 9.41.050

"Carrying a LOADED pistol in a car"...

(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

"Carrying an UNLOADED pistol in a car"...

(3)(a) A person at least eighteen years of age who is in possession of an unloaded pistol shall not leave the unloaded pistol in a vehicle unless the unloaded pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

Post imported post

Not to pop anyones bubbles, but if I DO get pulled over, and drop my firearm in my center console, what are the odds of my truck being searched?

Post imported post

Adamdude04 wrote:
    Not to pop anyones bubbles, but if I DO get pulled over, and drop my firearm in my center console, what are the odds of my truck being searched?
    Does it really matter what the odds are?... Why risk it?
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Post imported post

Well as a Trooper I dont think it'd even get to that point.

Post imported post

Adamdude04 wrote:
    Well in this case you will more than likely get "the courtesy" from another LEO. It is still illegal under Wa law but if you are LEO you probably know how this "courtesy" is extended.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

Post imported post

If you are a trooper, you can carry anyway with your badge and ID under HR 218. Right? So why worry in the first place?
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" - George Washington
    "Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest." - Mahatma Gandhi

As always, insert standard IANAL disclaimer here.

Post imported post

If you are a trooper, you can carry anyway with your badge and ID under HR 218. Right? So why worry in the first place?

Whoops...sorry for the double post...
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" - George Washington
    "Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest." - Mahatma Gandhi

As always, insert standard IANAL disclaimer here.

Post imported post

Adamdude04 wrote:
    Thats right, you one a da Good ol boys. Them laws don't apply to yous. So don't yous worry.

Post imported post

Adamdude04 wrote:
    With a holster on you hip? Pretty damned high I'd say. If you are a trooper, then it won't be necessary, so why did you suggest it in the first place? Somethings not ringing true here.

Post imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
    Adamdude04 wrote:
    With a holster on you hip? Pretty damned high I'd say. If you are a trooper, then it won't be necessary, so why did you suggest it in the first place? Somethings not ringing true here.
    You've never come acrossed a cop that didn't know the law?

Post imported post

Lets focus on the reason for this post, I'm going on vacation and I open carry EVERYWHERE I go, so I'll feel at home, knowing I can OC in WA. I'm not going to wear my uniform while on vacation, so thus if I'm in street clothes, and in an unfriendly OC area, I'll be getitng cops called on me, and having to explain my story "I'm one of you guys"..see what I'm trying to get at?

Honestly, how many of you have got pulled over, and your car searched? yeah
    "why risk it"..but if your car is being searched, why you have a gun to begin with?

Not trying to bust anyones balls but regardless of my status I HIGHLY doubt I'll have my truck searched..so no worries!:celebrate

Post imported post

Adamdude04 wrote:
    Not trying to bust anyones balls
    Oh, well that makes one of us.

Lets talk about this:

Adamdude04 wrote:
    "having to explain my story "I'm one of you guys".."

So you get special privileges because your a cop?

So, say you drive up to Washington, you've got a loaded gun in your car, no WA state CWP (which is illegal to do), you get pulled over by state patrol for something. What happens then?? You explain how you're "one of you guys", and they let you go?

You are the law, so you're above the law?

Post imported post

Adamdude04 wrote:
    Lets focus on the reason for this post, I'm going on vacation and I open carry EVERYWHERE I go, so I'll feel at home, knowing I can OC in WA. I'm not going to wear my uniform while on vacation, so thus if I'm in street clothes, and in an unfriendly OC area, I'll be getitng cops called on me, and having to explain my story "I'm one of you guys"..see what I'm trying to get at?

"why risk it"..but if your car is being searched, why you have a gun to begin with?

Not trying to bust anyones balls but regardless of my status I HIGHLY doubt I'll have my truck searched..so no worries!:celebrate
    As they so pointedly said on Miami Vice, so many years ago. "Master Badge", It gets you anything you want or need. So ID and the badge would make the gun a non-issue, anywhere. But I do know a story of a cop, on vacation, whoalmost got his butt shot for playing hide the gun and not telling the officers that stopped him that he was an officer and there was a gun in the vehicle, which got seen in a glove box.

Post imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
    Adamdude04 wrote:

As they so pointedly said on Miami Vice, so many years ago. "Master Badge", It gets you anything you want or need. So ID and the badge would make the gun a non-issue, anywhere. But I do know a story of a cop, on vacation, whoalmost got his butt shot for playing hide the gun and not telling the officers that stopped him that he was an officer and there was a gun in the vehicle, which got seen in a glove box.
    Most states recognize an officer's warrant card as a CHL.

Post imported post

I'm not taking sides, but I'm curious: doesn't the LEOSA allow him to carry concealed everywhere in the country, so long as he has his badge/ID with him? Console carry seems "about the person" to me, so I'm just wondering if he'd be exempt from the Washington state laws anyways due to the federal law. If he OC'ed without a permit in a car, that I can see as being a state matter and possibly a problem if the "good ole boys" didn't feel like playing ball, but I would've thought CC were covered.

Post imported post

I never claim to be above the law, but to raise a point, I guess when I'm off duty, if I see something going on that, if I was on duty, I would of course handle, I'll just not do anything because I'm off duty, and I have no authority.

Do I make a good point?

Post imported post

Adamdude04 wrote:
    I never claim to be above the law, but to raise a point, I guess when I'm off duty, if I see something going on that, if I was on duty, I would of course handle, I'll just not do anything because I'm off duty, and I have no authority.

Do I make a good point?
    No, I'm talking about how you get special privileges because your a cop.

Post imported post

Not to start an argument, but isnt a cop a cop 24/7?

Post imported post

USN_MA1 wrote:
    +1. Especially if it's the "right thing to do" as both a human being and an American citizen.

DrewGunner wrote:
    Adamdude04 wrote:

Do I make a good point?
    No, I'm talking about how you get special privileges because your a cop.
    Actually, he gets that because WA State law says he does... not just because of any "good ol' boys" system.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Post imported post

USN_MA1 wrote:
    What?

Is a cop a cop 24/7? Guess that depends on the cop. Although that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about how cops get special privileges because they're cops (i.e. not getting there cars searched). I think it was ebratt that said since he's a cop if he carries his badge and ID it act like a CWP for all state, not sure if that's true or not, but it sounds like it is. I don't have a problem with that. I think all law abiding citizens should carry gun, cops or not. I have a problem with the statement:

Adamdude04 wrote:

He's implying that he'd get out of his car being searched because he's a cop, not that under blah blah blah law he can legally carry his piece all the time, but because he's one of the good ol boys and cops don't write cops tickets or search each others cars. He's implying that cops look the other way when there fellow cop has done something wrong. That's what I'm talking about. That's what I have a problem with.

Post imported post

Adamdude04 wrote:

Do I make a good point?
    What you make is a piss poor cop!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast