• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry on vacation

Adamdude04

imported post

I'll be going to Spokane Washington for vacation to visit my mother. Can'twait! and of course if I DO have any issues, my uncle is head detective, and my step father used to be on the swat team, but from what I've read, washington is fairly easy on OC

I live in Colorado and OC is fully legal (except downtown Denver) so I'll feel just like I'm at home :)

just_a_car

imported post

Just remember, to legally OC in a vehicle, you must have a valid CPL/CWP (i.e. WA-issued or other state that WA recognizes - CO not being one of them according to http://www.handgunlaw.us/).

Otherwise, it must be unloaded and in an opaque case or secure wrapper, while within a vehicle.

Adamdude04

imported post

Yeah I won't have to worry about OC in a vehical. The gun never leaves my hip and if I happend to get pulled over, well I can just throw the gun in my center console right quick and lock it, doubt I'll my truck searched :)

just_a_car

imported post

Um, that will still get you hit with it being loaded. I don't condone illegal actions, but if you're going to carry in a vehical without a permit, I'd go condition 3 and pull the mag out before "stashing" it, since then it's unloaded.

gregma

imported post

Just to have the "Link"...

RCW 9.41.050

"Carrying a LOADED pistol in a car"...

(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

"Carrying an UNLOADED pistol in a car"...

(3)(a) A person at least eighteen years of age who is in possession of an unloaded pistol shall not leave the unloaded pistol in a vehicle unless the unloaded pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

Adamdude04

imported post

Not to pop anyones bubbles, but if I DO get pulled over, and drop my firearm in my center console, what are the odds of my truck being searched?

just_a_car

imported post

Adamdude04 wrote:
Not to pop anyones bubbles, but if I DO get pulled over, and drop my firearm in my center console, what are the odds of my truck being searched?
Does it really matter what the odds are?... Why risk it?

joeroket

imported post

Adamdude04 wrote:
Well as a Trooper I dont think it'd even get to that point.
Well in this case you will more than likely get "the courtesy" from another LEO. It is still illegal under Wa law but if you are LEO you probably know how this "courtesy" is extended.

eBratt

imported post

If you are a trooper, you can carry anyway with your badge and ID under HR 218. Right? So why worry in the first place?

eBratt

imported post

If you are a trooper, you can carry anyway with your badge and ID under HR 218. Right? So why worry in the first place?

Whoops...sorry for the double post...

Bear 45/70

imported post

Adamdude04 wrote:
With a holster on you hip? Pretty damned high I'd say. If you are a trooper, then it won't be necessary, so why did you suggest it in the first place? Somethings not ringing true here.

DrewGunner

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
Adamdude04 wrote:
With a holster on you hip? Pretty damned high I'd say. If you are a trooper, then it won't be necessary, so why did you suggest it in the first place? Somethings not ringing true here.
You've never come acrossed a cop that didn't know the law?

Adamdude04

imported post

Lets focus on the reason for this post, I'm going on vacation and I open carry EVERYWHERE I go, so I'll feel at home, knowing I can OC in WA. I'm not going to wear my uniform while on vacation, so thus if I'm in street clothes, and in an unfriendly OC area, I'll be getitng cops called on me, and having to explain my story "I'm one of you guys"..see what I'm trying to get at?

Honestly, how many of you have got pulled over, and your car searched? yeah
"why risk it"..but if your car is being searched, why you have a gun to begin with?

Not trying to bust anyones balls but regardless of my status I HIGHLY doubt I'll have my truck searched..so no worries!:celebrate

DrewGunner

imported post

Adamdude04 wrote:
Not trying to bust anyones balls

Oh, well that makes one of us.

Lets talk about this:

Adamdude04 wrote:
Well as a Trooper I dont think it'd even get to that point.
"having to explain my story "I'm one of you guys".."

So you get special privileges because your a cop?

So, say you drive up to Washington, you've got a loaded gun in your car, no WA state CWP (which is illegal to do), you get pulled over by state patrol for something. What happens then?? You explain how you're "one of you guys", and they let you go?

You are the law, so you're above the law?

Bear 45/70

imported post

Adamdude04 wrote:
Lets focus on the reason for this post, I'm going on vacation and I open carry EVERYWHERE I go, so I'll feel at home, knowing I can OC in WA. I'm not going to wear my uniform while on vacation, so thus if I'm in street clothes, and in an unfriendly OC area, I'll be getitng cops called on me, and having to explain my story "I'm one of you guys"..see what I'm trying to get at?

"why risk it"..but if your car is being searched, why you have a gun to begin with?

Not trying to bust anyones balls but regardless of my status I HIGHLY doubt I'll have my truck searched..so no worries!:celebrate
As they so pointedly said on Miami Vice, so many years ago. "Master Badge", It gets you anything you want or need. So ID and the badge would make the gun a non-issue, anywhere. But I do know a story of a cop, on vacation, whoalmost got his butt shot for playing hide the gun and not telling the officers that stopped him that he was an officer and there was a gun in the vehicle, which got seen in a glove box.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
Adamdude04 wrote:

As they so pointedly said on Miami Vice, so many years ago. "Master Badge", It gets you anything you want or need. So ID and the badge would make the gun a non-issue, anywhere. But I do know a story of a cop, on vacation, whoalmost got his butt shot for playing hide the gun and not telling the officers that stopped him that he was an officer and there was a gun in the vehicle, which got seen in a glove box.
Most states recognize an officer's warrant card as a CHL.

denwego

imported post

I'm not taking sides, but I'm curious: doesn't the LEOSA allow him to carry concealed everywhere in the country, so long as he has his badge/ID with him? Console carry seems "about the person" to me, so I'm just wondering if he'd be exempt from the Washington state laws anyways due to the federal law. If he OC'ed without a permit in a car, that I can see as being a state matter and possibly a problem if the "good ole boys" didn't feel like playing ball, but I would've thought CC were covered.

Adamdude04

imported post

I never claim to be above the law, but to raise a point, I guess when I'm off duty, if I see something going on that, if I was on duty, I would of course handle, I'll just not do anything because I'm off duty, and I have no authority.

Do I make a good point?