• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry on vacation

DrewGunner

imported post

Adamdude04 wrote:
I never claim to be above the law, but to raise a point, I guess when I'm off duty, if I see something going on that, if I was on duty, I would of course handle, I'll just not do anything because I'm off duty, and I have no authority.

Do I make a good point?
No, I'm talking about how you get special privileges because your a cop.

just_a_car

imported post

USN_MA1 wrote:
Not to start an argument, but isnt a cop a cop 24/7?
+1. Especially if it's the "right thing to do" as both a human being and an American citizen.

DrewGunner wrote:
Adamdude04 wrote:
I never claim to be above the law, but to raise a point, I guess when I'm off duty, if I see something going on that, if I was on duty, I would of course handle, I'll just not do anything because I'm off duty, and I have no authority.

Do I make a good point?
No, I'm talking about how you get special privileges because your a cop.
Actually, he gets that because WA State law says he does... not just because of any "good ol' boys" system.

DrewGunner

imported post

USN_MA1 wrote:
Not to start an argument, but isnt a cop a cop 24/7?
What?

Is a cop a cop 24/7? Guess that depends on the cop. Although that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about how cops get special privileges because they're cops (i.e. not getting there cars searched). I think it was ebratt that said since he's a cop if he carries his badge and ID it act like a CWP for all state, not sure if that's true or not, but it sounds like it is. I don't have a problem with that. I think all law abiding citizens should carry gun, cops or not. I have a problem with the statement:

Adamdude04 wrote:

Well as a Trooper I dont think it'd even get to that point.
He's implying that he'd get out of his car being searched because he's a cop, not that under blah blah blah law he can legally carry his piece all the time, but because he's one of the good ol boys and cops don't write cops tickets or search each others cars. He's implying that cops look the other way when there fellow cop has done something wrong. That's what I'm talking about. That's what I have a problem with.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Adamdude04 wrote:

Do I make a good point?
What you make is a piss poor cop!

Adamdude04

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
Adamdude04 wrote:
I open carry EVERYWHERE I go. Usualy, and I tell my buddy this, is ask the person "If I was in uniform, would you be threatend by me having my firearm exposed?" ..which is a pshycological way to not only make whoever think you're an LEO, but also protecting yourself, because it's a simple quesiton, IF I WAS IN UNIFORM..hell maybe tomorrow I'll join the police academy and get into a uniform. I ask that simple question, and they get the hint, and nothing more said or done. Works every time for myself and my buddy..then if you want to, you can teach them the OC laws for your state. It's a great way I find, to calm everyone down, and prevent any further actions
Adamdude04 wrote:
and for the record, I open carry anywhere and everywhere, unless they have a metal detector, I dont care.
Adamdude04 wrote:
Well I'll start out by saying, In westminster, I walked up to an LEO (wasn't packing, I was at work) and asked him is it legal to open carry in the state of Colorado. I was asking to see if he knew the law or not. He clearly didn't. He said if he seen me with a firearm on my hip, odds are he'd draw his firearm and detain me until he could figure out what was going on.

Anywho, I've open carried many times with my XD .40 on my side. No issues at all. Everyone I talk to says I look like a detective..I normaly dress nice all the time. Here's some pictures of Dress clothes, street clothes, gangster just hurry up and deal me some drugs so I can rob my cash back from ya, clothes :)

under HR 218 you can carry anywhere with your badge and ID

SomethingsNOT ringing true here.

Adamdude04 wrote:

Simple solution, for you wanna-beeeeees
Go down to your local print shop, make a name for your security company, for example, "Colorado Armed Security: Providing Armed security" and have some business cards printed up.
Get a tax ID
if you ever get in a spot where you need a reason to carry it, "uhhh I'm armed security, owner"
or ask this, "if I was in uniform, would you be worried?"
Two great ways to imply you're important!

I like the badge idea. I got my from CSP.state.co.com

You must have done this before.
Sounds like your the wanna be!!!

Dude you couldn't even get the web address right http://csp.state.co.us

Ok lets think before we speak, here, I'll help you (not trying to bust your balls, but maybe this will let you know you should think before you speak)

Ok so my first quote, I was of course talking about when I'm wearing normal street clothes, which for me, I'm usualy dressed up nice. I like to look good wherever I go (hence why all my friends say I look like a detective), and that question I ask people, as well as my BUDDIES who ask it, never have an issue. It's a true statment for me, if I was in uniform, would you be worried? And I was also throwing out there to you, what a person on the streets would think, and if YOU used that question, you could have a reason for asking it, hey maybe tomorrow you can go join and become a cop.

2nd quote: You dont always have to be in uniform when at work. Just because my career choice requires me to wear a uniform, doesn't mean everyday at work I'm required to wear one for such times I would have to dress upor not wear my uniform, for a specialevent.Can't believe you didn't think of this actually, but some people don't think before they speak.

3rd quote: first off, wow I used .com at the end instead of .us ..sorry I'm not perfect. oops? And I like the badge idea, yeah it was a joke. "I like the badge, I got mine from.." ..honestly, lets think here? I will admit though, it is a good idea, and I think it'd people some people at ease. The average person would brush it off. But yes, get infront of an LEO you'll have a great time, trust me ;)

Well now that I just wasted 5 minutes of my time I'm going to try andregain that 5 minutes again and have me a beer on my patio.

USN_MA1

imported post

DrewGunner wrote:
WOOOOOW.... You're not really a cop, are you...? They let you carry a gun? You're actually allowed to stop people and write them tickets? Arrest people?

Bear quoted the portion that I was making my statement to. I knew what were getting at. ;)

I quoted this DrewGunner just because I was meaning my post to be to you...sorry if there was any confusion.

just_a_car

imported post

What the hell, guys?! Agent19, DrewGunner... the guy makes logical and well-thought-out replies and you come back with one-liners that sound "conspiracy theory"-esque. Lay the hell off!

Oh, and guess what?... Those explanations he wrote are exactly how I initially read his first post, so at least some of us understood what he wrote.

Give the guy a break, he's not trying to tell you what to do, he's not trying to tell you what the laws are, he's just stating he's a trooper elsewhere and that he's trying to get people to get comfortable with OC.... I, for one, have no issue with any of that. Now, the fact that WA state law says he gets special priviledges due to being an LEO, I have an issue with, but it's an issue with the law, not with this gentleman.

I mean, if I told you I worked on aircraft parts for a living at one point and now have life-time FAA certification for those things, would you start questioning that? I realize it has nothing to do with gun laws, but that's about what you're doing at this point; you're questioning what this guy does for his job. Oh, and by the way, the stuff about FAA cert's?... it's true. ;)

just_a_car

imported post

USN_MA1 wrote:
My comment was just aimed at the "its not my jurisdiction, its not my problem" comment...my ONLY issue.
Yeah, I made a comment to the same above... I figure if you're an American Citizen and you see a fellow American in trouble, you have a duty as a Citizen to assist them. That's just my opinion, though.

DrewGunner

imported post

just_a_car wrote:

Give the guy a break, he's not trying to tell you what to do, he's not trying to tell you what the laws are, he's just stating he's a trooper elsewhere and that he's trying to get people to get comfortable with OC.... I, for one, have no issue with any of that. Now, the fact that WA state law says he gets special priviledges due to being an LEO, I have an issue with, but it's an issue with the law, not with this gentleman.

You must have not read the second part of my post:

He's implying that he'd get out of his car being searched because he's a cop, not that under blah blah blah law he can legally carry his piece all the time, but because he's one of the good ol boys and cops don't write cops tickets or search each others cars. He's implying that cops look the other way when there fellow cop has done something wrong. That's what I'm talking about. That's what I have a problem with.