• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Kicks for Guns"?

compmanio365

imported post

From KOMO 4:

Police get missile launcher during gun-shoe exchange

070820_missile_launcher.jpg

Orlando Police Sgt. Barbara Jones holds a missile launcher Friday, Aug. 17, 2007 that had been turned in to a Kicks for Guns program.

By Associated Press

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) - Police were hoping for a good turnout at their "Kicks for Guns" sneaker exchange, but they weren't expecting a surface-to-air missile launcher.

An Ocoee man showed up and exchanged the 4-foot-long launcher for size-3 Reebok sneakers for his daughter, the Orlando Sentinel reported Friday.

Taking advantage of the exchange's no-questions-asked policy, the man was not identified. He told the Orlando Sentinel that he found the weapon in a shed he tore down last week.

"I didn't know what to do with it, so I brought it here," he told the newspaper. "I took it to three dumps to try to get rid of it and they told me to get lost."

Besides the missile launcher police collected more than 250 guns. They were all exchanged for sneakers or $50 gift certificates.

What the heck is this "Kicks for Guns" program? It seems almost traitorous for an American citizen to go along with a program like that......."Here, we'll pay you if you turn in your ability to defend yourself......"

And I would bet that despite the "no questions asked" policy, that man is getting a visit from the KGB....I mean "Homeland Security".......over that rocket launcher......

Toad

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I can't understand why any one would get rid of any gun.....or rocket launcher for next to nothing in return. $50 gift card for a rocket launcher!! I think they would have to add a couple more zeros left of the decimal point and pay in cash.

So how long until we hear of a mishap with a rocket launcher during an attempt to defuse a hostage situation or other SWAT related action.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

I would say sell it, probably could make a good buck off of it, but I guess it would require jumping through several hoops to legally do so.

I don't think its a bad program, some people who have loved ones who were avid gun owners who died, or got guns in a will or something like that may have no use for them and not like them, it is not my duty to push liberty on them, so if they want to give it up for shoes or cash, fine with me.

compmanio365

imported post

Yeah, but I mean, jeez, go to your local gun shop and sell it for a hell of a lot more than that, and then you give someone else the chance to buy it themselves; give it to the police and they will never give them back to the public.

Deacon Blues

imported post

If I find a rocket launcher, I don't care what you offer me, I'M KEEPING IT!!! :cool:

Growing up playing DOOM and the like sort of puts a rocket launcher-shaped hole in your life.

Drewesque

imported post

I'm all for the attempt to outbid the buyback. I would not, however, have purchased that tube. It looks like an inert, already fired, one use rocket launcher. While an interesting conversation piece, I'd much rather have the guns.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Drewesque wrote:
I'm all for the attempt to outbid the buyback. I would not, however, have purchased that tube. It looks like an inert, already fired, one use rocket launcher. While an interesting conversation piece, I'd much rather have the guns.
I wonder about the legality of the outbidding, perhaps maybe a local gun shop offering double what the police are paying, and advertising the fact by people standing infront of the buy back program, saying we will give you much more for that if you drive a couple miles down the street...

dng

State Researcher
imported post

I want to start my own "Kicks for Guns" program. I don't like the idea of ripping someone off, but if they don't want their guns, bring them to me, and I'll make some good money selling the clean ones on GunBroker.com! ;) Ah, the entrepreneurial spirit of America will live on...

Deacon Blues

imported post

dngreer wrote:
I want to start my own "Kicks for Guns" program. I don't like the idea of ripping someone off, but if they don't want their guns, bring them to me, and I'll make some good money selling the clean ones on GunBroker.com! ;) Ah, the entrepreneurial spirit of America will live on...
I have to imagine that the original purpose of that program was to get people to turn in stolen guns. I'm sure, however, that the majority of the guns they get are not stolen, and the people who turn them in have no idea of their actual value. These people should be getting something closer to a fair price.

As an individual, you really wouldn't want to end with a bunch of stolen guns, though. If anyone is to start a counter-buyback program, it ought to be a dealer.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Deacon Blues wrote:
dngreer wrote:
I have to imagine that the original purpose of that program was to get people to turn in stolen guns. I'm sure, however, that the majority of the guns they get are not stolen, and the people who turn them in have no idea of their actual value. These people should be getting something closer to a fair price.

As an individual, you really wouldn't want to end with a bunch of stolen guns, though. If anyone is to start a counter-buyback program, it ought to be a dealer.
I was half joking. You are right about a dealer being the one to start something like this. It would be far all the way around. People turning in their guns wouldn't be ripped off, and gun lovers could get great deals on guns, and dealers could make a little money as well. Everybody's happy! Well, except for the anti-gun crowd, but I don't really care if they don't like it.

gregma

imported post

Drewesque wrote:
Looking really close at it, I'd say it's not even a launcher. My guess is that it's a storage tube designed to transport a munition.

Drewesque

imported post

gregma wrote:
Drewesque wrote:
Looking really close at it, I'd say it's not even a launcher. My guess is that it's a storage tube designed to transport a munition.
Y'know, I think you're right.

Deacon Blues

imported post

gregma wrote:
Surely you're not suggesting that the press would publish something without first getting the facts straight! ;)

It certainly doesn't look like any of the launchers I've seen. Does Jane's publish a Surface-to-Air Missile Recognition Guide?

Analogman

imported post

It appears to be an expended AT-4 launch tube, probably brought home from the range by some guy after a day of training and, at the time, it was a cool souvenier. The AT-4 is an anti-tank missile (NOT an anti-aircraft missile!) made by the Swedish company Bofors and used by many countries. The gray cover at the end is the shipping cover and is actually at the breech end of the weapon. The lady is holding it backwards and, if it were a full up round, she would not be able to hold it in one hand like she is.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Analogman wrote:

It appears to be an expended AT-4 launch tube, probably brought home from the range by some guy after a day of training and, at the time, it was a cool souvenier. The AT-4 is an anti-tank missile (NOT an anti-aircraft missile!) made by the Swedish company Bofors and used by many countries. The gray cover at the end is the shipping cover and is actually at the breech end of the weapon. The lady is holding it backwards and, if it were a full up round, she would not be able to hold it in one hand like she is.

Good one, Analogman. I do believe you are correct. Thanks for educating me.

30Jan04AT4-johnson.jpg

Spc. Thomas Johnson, a paralegal with HHC, 2nd Bde., shoots an AT-4 round during weapon familiarization at the Udari Range in Kuwait Jan. 30. Soldiers of the 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 25th Infantry Division (Light) are currently preparing for their Operation Iraqi Freedom rotation. US Army photo by Spc. Sean Kimmons - 25th ID (L) Public Affair Office

http://www.25idl.army.mil/deployment/OIF%20Iraq/Deployment/combinedpictures.htm

P.S. I wonder if... it's legal to OC one of those....