• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Silly LEOs...

v8shoguy

imported post

Forgetting something at the store then going back for it isn't acting normally? Not wanting to be tailed isn't acting normally? I have rights too. Last I checked, Oxford isn't part of some "police state" where there is a curfew. I'm not trying to start an argument, just clarifying.

Kbrake

imported post

I am not saying that he did anything wrong. But in the eyes of the Police he was acting in a suspicious manner. Even if he wasn't carrying he encountered the police 6 times if I counted right. All I am saying that if we want to be legitimate we have to act like we are ligitimate.

Demarest

imported post

Sorry for the bump and my late addition to the thread. The title caught my eye and upon reading, there's much to be said.

@v8shoguy: I like the way you think, the way you ASSERT yourself while not being aggressive, and the purity of your mental approach. I think if every gun owner/carrier had a similar disposition, we could turn the tides of public perception in very short order :) Thank you for sharing. When dispatch told you that it doesn't happen around there, I probably would've countered that legality has nothing to do with frequency. What if there was a REAL criminal engaged in REAL suspicious activity that they could've caught had they not been tailing somebody that was clearly a law abiding citizen.

Criminals don't open carry. It would bring attention to them during a time when they're trying to go unnoticed for the surprise factor. When approached by police, they would panic, assume they're done for, and pull the gun for the sake of "survival." Openly carrying and NOT freaking out when police intervene kills their attempt at "suspicious." The single question I'm the most tired of answering is "Well how are we supposed to know?" You were given five senses. Use one.

Also, I agree with you about the question. If they ask if I have weapons, I'll answer accordingly. But the "anything I should know about" is essentially "I've got nothing on you, would you care to volunteer anything." While they may be good intentioned men, this is a sadistic ploy to prey off of those who are nervous in the presence of the police. Which with what happens these days, should be most everybody.

@Legba: I can certainly agree with your line or reasoning. However, not fighting for something because its small in comparison is how we got into this mess in the first place. Notice how ammo prices have skyrocketed? They can't take the guns, so they'll take the ammo. Or just the people with ADHD today and the bed wetters tomorrow. And so on. They nickle and dime because if you woke up and a grand was missing, you'd notice ;)

@Kbrake: WalMart is open to the public. So it occurs to me that one doesn't need a reason to go there. Therefore the question of why is irrelevant. I'm glad he went back even if it was to be a smartass (which I have no reason to believe it was and neither do you). EVERY SINGLE TIME somebody takes notice of you carrying a gun and sees that the aftermath is 100% devoid of violence and/or criminal activity, you are tipping the scales in our favor ever so slightly. So that one day, maybe we won't have to face ANYBODY asking us why we're going where we're allowed to be or what we're up to when we aren't doing anything wrong ;)

@ConditionThree: I completely agree with your every word. One point I try to make frequently is that a firearm being present does NOT change the equation in any shape or form. Those who feel otherwise are punishing the good guys for the transgressions of the criminals.