• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC at the Western ID Fair

MarKing

imported post

I'm new to the site as well as Idaho, so please excuse my ignorance.

I was at the Fair last night in Boise with my family and noticed to men OCing, is that legal at the Fair? I was unsure as our stroller and bag were searched at the entrance.

Also, I know you can get a CCW, but what constitutes Open Carry? Is it totally visible, partially visible?

How visible does it have to be?

I have the same question as it relates to CCW. How concealed does it have to be?

Thank you in advance for your help.

IdahoCorsair

State Researcher
imported post

Mark,

Welcome to opencarry.org! I'm also from the Boise area, maybe we should have an OC lunch with the others on here from our area? :p

I suggest you spend some time browsing the Idaho Statues here: http://www3.state.id.us/idstat/TOC/18033KTOC.html
most of them are easily understood by the "mere common man."

Other than that, I believe that OC at the State Fair is legal, though I'm not sure because it may fall under the private propert rights? I've heard of guys carrying OC or CC there before and were talked to by LE but not told to leave or disarm or anything... but that was a while back.

Open carry in Idaho is basically defined as visible to common observation or what a reasonable person would say was visible. So, don't throw you jacket over you shoulder holster... that would be CC.

An inside the waistband holster with just the grip of the firearm showing would be OC, because a normal reasonable person would know it's a gun, and be able to see it.

Basically use common sense.

Corsair

Saint

imported post

Welcome to the world of OC! Always good to see new people show up around here. :D

I was at the fair last night (not OCing) and didn't notice any signs up saying that firearms were prohibited. I am going again on Thursday and I may try to OC for at least part of the day. Does anyone know if the W. ID Fair has a stated policy regarding weapons?

MarKing

imported post

IdahoCorsair wrote:
Mark,

Welcome to opencarry.org! I'm also from the Boise area, maybe we should have an OC lunch with the others on here from our area? :p

I suggest you spend some time browsing the Idaho Statues here: http://www3.state.id.us/idstat/TOC/18033KTOC.html
most of them are easily understood by the "mere common man."

Other than that, I believe that OC at the State Fair is legal, though I'm not sure because it may fall under the private propert rights? I've heard of guys carrying OC or CC there before and were talked to by LE but not told to leave or disarm or anything... but that was a while back.

Open carry in Idaho is basically defined as visible to common observation or what a reasonable person would say was visible. So, don't throw you jacket over you shoulder holster... that would be CC.

An inside the waistband holster with just the grip of the firearm showing would be OC, because a normal reasonable person would know it's a gun, and be able to see it.

Basically use common sense.

Corsair

Corsair,

Mabye I'm not reading it right, or I'm looking at the wrong statutes, but I can't find anything that directly addresses OCing.

Everything I read addresses CCWing.

Thanks for your help.

IdahoCorsair

State Researcher
imported post

Mark,

Armed4life is correct... in the absense of laws prohibiting OC it is by default legal. Also you'll notice in the statutes that I linked you to, that there are several places where it says something to the effect of "these restrictions shall not apply to a visibly carried handgun." So, browse the Idaho page a bit, and you'll see that we've had a few run-ins with LEOs, but most know it's legal. So, hope to see you down there OCing soon! :p

MarKing

imported post

IdahoCorsair wrote:
Mark,

Armed4life is correct... in the absense of laws prohibiting OC it is by default legal. Also you'll notice in the statutes that I linked you to, that there are several places where it says something to the effect of "these restrictions shall not apply to a visibly carried handgun." So, browse the Idaho page a bit, and you'll see that we've had a few run-ins with LEOs, but most know it's legal. So, hope to see you down there OCing soon! :p

I appreciate everyone's patience and help.

I look forward to meeting you all.

IdahoCorsair

State Researcher
imported post

Welcome Sage! Maybe you've been here a while, but I didn't notice... my bad! Again... welcome! Hope to see you around town!

Saint

imported post

Was at the fair last night. I was not carrying as I was doing rides (i.e. upside down and spinning) and didn't feel like having something happen and having my gun get knocked out of it's holster. However, I asked a Security guard what the weapons policy was and he said firearms are not allowed.

That being said, there are no signs posted anywhere stating this and it could very well have been a single guard spouting off a supposed policy.