• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My first OC LEO encounter

vrwmiller

imported post

So, I was out tonight with the family...we stopped at Dairy Queen in the Festival at Bull Run Shopping Center off of I-66 in Prince William County. It was not especially busy, though there were a few patrons incoming and outgoing...

My family and I were sitting talking about the revolutionary war when I noticed a Prince William County cruiser pull up and park at the curb at a neghboring retailer. I thought little of it, until a second cruiser pulled up directly in front of Dairy Queen followed quickly by another in the parking lot. I knew at that point what it was about...

Four officers enter the establishment...

LEO1: Hey, How ya doin'?
ME: Alright, how ya doing?
LEO1: Pretty good
LEO2: I'm sure you know why we're here...
ME: Why are you here?
LEO2: Somebody called cause they're freaked out about a gun. We got no problem with it....that's all
LEO1: Just makin' sure everything's ok
ME: Yeah, everything's just fine. I appreciate it.
LEO1: Like I said, we've got no problem with it, but people are just looking...they get worried, they call in
LEO2: They see something they don't normally see...
ME: Yeah...Absolutely...everything's cool. We appreciate it.
LEO1: Have a good night, ok?
ME: Thank you.

The entire exchange lasted 44 seconds and they left. They did stand outside chatting for a few minutes while myself and my family remained inside. We stayed for a couple minutes, then decided to leave...

Upon leaving I approached the officers and thanked them for their professionalism and service to the public and I went on my way.

My first LEO encounter...I was nervous, but confident. The exchange went well and as they should.

Tomahawk

imported post

Yeah, the cops are usually fine, but I really have a problem with the d**ches who wip out their cellphones

BECAUSE AN ARMEDMAN IS PEACEFULLY EATING ICE CREAM WITH HIS FAMILY !!!!!

These people torque me off.

Nice going, vrmiller. Keeping up the OC = ice cream tradition, I see.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

vrwmiller wrote:
LEO1: Hey, How ya doin'?
ME: Alright, how ya doing?
LEO1: Pretty good
LEO2: I'm sure you know why we're here...
ME: Why are you here?
LEO2: Somebody called cause they're freaked out about a gun. We got no problem with it....that's all
LEO1: Just makin' sure everything's ok
ME: Yeah, everything's just fine. I appreciate it.
LEO1: Like I said, we've got no problem with it, but people are just looking...they get worried, they call in
LEO2: They see something they don't normally see...
ME: Yeah...Absolutely...everything's cool. We appreciate it.
LEO1: Have a good night, ok?
ME: Thank you.

The entire exchange lasted 44 seconds and they left...
Very cool. Well done, vrwmiller. Well done, LEOs.

LEO 229

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Yeah, the cops are usually fine, but I really have a problem with the d**ches who wip out their cellphones

You gotta love it!!!

Hello?? 911?? A man sitting issitting with his family and they areeating ice cream and he has a GUN!!!!

I am scared that he might shoot something or someone after the sugar kicks in!!

Having metvrmiller in person..... I would have asked to check the SN on his gun! ;)

But seriously... Glad it went well.

vtme_grad98

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:

You gotta love it!!!

Hello?? 911?? A man sitting issitting with his family and they areeating ice cream and he has a GUN!!!!

Having metvrmiller in person..... I would have asked to check the SN on his gun! ;)

Hello, 911? There's a man eating ice cream, and HE'S NOT SHARING WITH HIS GUN!! I'm afraid his gun will want some too, jump out of its holster, and go on a rampage until it gets it's own cone.

LEO 229

imported post

vtme_grad98 wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:

You gotta love it!!!

Hello, 911? There's a man eating ice cream, and HE'S NOT SHARING WITH HIS GUN!! I'm afraid his gun will want some too, jump out of its holster, and go on a rampage until it gets it's own cone.

Good one!!!

Why do people call when it is holstered?? I can see if he was pointing it or appeared to be a threat. vrmiller looks like a very normal and casual person. Rather Non threatening if you ask me. Looks like a responsible family man.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:

You know, LEO 229, I've been thinking about the SN checking thing a little bit.

Seems to me with RFID technology, that a SN chip could be put into guns and then a portable networkedreader could be used to "check" all theguns you need to check.

Would that technology be useful to you? :shock:

LEO 229

imported post

HankT wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

Seems to me with RFID technology, that a SN chip could be put into guns and then a portable networkedreader could be used to "check" all theguns you need to check.

Hank... that was supposed top be a secret! Now they will all know I plant the RFID chip in their guns when they let me hold them. Thanks buddy!

hitachirfid.jpg

Tomahawk

imported post

HankT wrote:

Old idea, that. Part of the periodic "smart gun" craze that blows through places like Jersey and MD.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
HankT wrote:

Old idea, that. Part of the periodic "smart gun" craze that blows through places like Jersey and MD.

Yah, but the smart gun idea mostly deals with firing a gun. So the application would have to be failsafe.

With a SN chip, it would not have to be thus, enabling easier adoption.

I see something coming in that tech genre coming for gun detection and ID. It would solve a lot of problems. And there is a need for it...

nickerj1

imported post

Sounds like they could do that with a lot of things. Like passports or.... Wait just a minute! :D

I cover my gun with aluminum foil.

vrwmiller

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:

Indeed. That does irritate me as well, unfortunately, the couple did not stick around long enough for the PD to actually show up and see that it was a non-issue. Y'see...I know who called the PD...

They were there near the front of the door when we walked in and I saw their :what: look as I walked by. We got our order and had a seat, also not far from the front of the establishment. They continued to finish their order...I don't know....10 minutes passed before they left and as they left, the guy gave my wife and 'evil eye look' as she referred to it. I saw them walk out and get into their vehicle. They sat there, musta been for about 5 - 10 minutes. They left before the PD showed....shame, I would have rather they stuck around.

BTW, Tomahawk...indeed keeping the OC & IC (Ice Cream) tradition going... :celebrate

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
HankT wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

Hank... that was supposed top be a secret! Now they will all know I plant the RFID chip in their guns when they let me hold them. Thanks buddy!

hitachirfid.jpg

I see that you have been busy, LEO 229. Very busy. Your hand has been shown.

So, Citizen was right! You are not ...one of us.....

YOUAREALIBERALCLINTONISTASPOOKMMERANTI2AJBT!!!!!

ixtow was right about you!

:p

vrwmiller

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
vtme_grad98 wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
You gotta love it!!!

[ snip ]

Good one!!!

Why do people call when it is holstered?? I can see if he was pointing it or appeared to be a threat. vrmiller looks like a very normal and casual person. Rather Non threatening if you ask me. Looks like a responsible family man.

LEO229, You can check my S/N when you get my driving record cleaned up :D

Thanks for the compliment. I like to think I am non-threatening and a responsible family man.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
HankT wrote:
And there is a need for it...

Wow, you really like to stir up some s***, don't you.

Maybe you should start another thread. Think of the fun you'll have spinning people up.
It's just an idea, 'hawk. You don't have to be afraid ofit...

vrwmiller

imported post

I've decided that since the exchange went well and the officers did not abuse any of their authority, that I would compliment the officers and mail a letter of compliment to the chief...here is that letter...

Mr. Deane:

I wanted to take a moment to compliment four of Prince William County’s police officers in response to a call for service that was received by the police department on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 at approximately 8:30 – 9:00PM EDT at the Dairy Queen restaurant on Sudley Manor Dr in the Festival at Bull Run Shopping Center.

According to the officers, a worried citizen had called the department regarding a person with a gun at that location. I was that person with the gun. I was lawfully carrying my holstered sidearm when approached by the officers inside the establishment. They indicated that they had received a call and were simply “making sure everything was ok”.

I assured them that everything was fine and I am confident that their assessment of the circumstances showed no wrongdoing. I had the opportunity to personally thank them for their service to the county and the public. Additionally, I appreciated them responding to the call for service, quite frankly, because had I been the one to call the department worried about someone with a gun, I would certainly appreciate officers of the law showing up.

The officers were extremely courteous and professional in their demeanor. My motives for carrying a firearm were not questioned nor was advice on my mode of carry offered up. This clearly exemplifies that the officers are properly trained in upholding the laws and protecting the individual rights of citizens.

Unfortunately, I do not have each of the officer’s names. I did not think to ask for their cards while conversing. However, I hope that the information provided above is enough information that the department will be able to determine the names of the responding officers and recognize them accordingly.

Once this information is ascertained, please feel free to update me on the officer’s names so that I may know them. I hope that each of their superiors will be notified and that this letter of compliment will be added to their personnel file