• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WA Man Shoots/Kills Swordman

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Never bring a sword to a shotgun fight...

Wednesday, August 22, 2007
Local Digest

$1 million bail set in arrest after killing

Vashon Island

Bail was set at $1 million for a 23-year-old Vashon Island landlord who was arrested Sunday night for allegedly killing a tenant who had come to his home.

The landlord claimed he fired his shotgun at 53-year-old Ronald Childers on Aug. 19 in self-defense after Childers charged him with a sword, according to the King County Sheriff's Office. The Seattle Times generally does not name criminal suspects unless they have been formally charged.

Detectives with the Sheriff's Office said in court documents that the landlord had a long-running dispute with the tenant.

The 23-year-old, who has no previous criminal record, is being held in King County Jail on investigation of murder.

The Sheriff's Office said the case will likely be forwarded today to prosecutors and a charging decision will be made.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2003847649_dige22m.html

Mainsail

imported post

HankT wrote:
Bail was set at $1 million for a 23-year-old Vashon Island landlord who was arrested Sunday night for allegedly killing a tenant who had come to his home.

The landlord claimed he fired his shotgun at 53-year-old Ronald Childers on Aug. 19 in self-defense after Childers charged him with a sword, according to the King County Sheriff's Office.

The way the story is written seems a little duplicitous, in that it appears to be self defense, but he could be charged with murder. Nevertheless, he was arrested and had bail set. I have to wonder if this is done intentionally by the newspaper (or the police) so as to create a doubt in the public’s eye that there is such a thing as justifiable homicide.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Breaking News: Murder suspect released, pending investigation

Aug 22 2007

By LESLIE BROWN
Staff Writer

A Vashon Island resident who allegedly shot and killed one of his tenants has been released pending further investigation, Dan Donohoe, a spokesman for the King County Prosecutor, said Wednesday.
By law, the county cannot hold him longer than 72 hours without charging him with a crime.
"They're still investigating, and we're not ready to make a decision yet," Donohoe said.
Ronald Childers, a 53-year-old handyman, was killed in the incident, which occurred Sunday evening in the 20300 block of 87th Ave. S.W. A King County Sheriff Department's report said that the suspect admitted shooting him two times with a 12-gauge shotgun, then a third time after he had collapsed on the floor.
Childers, who police say was in a dispute with the suspect, lived in another home the suspect owned on 87th Avenue S.W.
The Beachcomber, as a matter of policy, does not print the names of suspects until they've been charged with a crime.
On Tuesday, the suspect was held in lieu of $1 million bail. Wednesday was the deadline for charging him with a crime.
Asked why there's a delay in charging him, Donohoe said, "We simply need to let the investigation continue."
Meanwhile, several members of the sheriff's department, some of them clothed head-to-toe in white hazardous-materials suits, were at the split-level house on Wednesday where the incident occurred. They declined to talk to a reporter.
The suspect, 23, who has lived on Vashon four years, owned the house; he rented out several rooms to tenants, many of whom are young and living paycheck to paycheck.
Most of the tenants are now out of the home, staying with friends or family, a tenant told The Beachcomber; one has moved out.

http://www.vashonbeachcomber.com/portals-code/list.cgi?paper=90&cat=23&id=1050294&more=0

GreatWhiteLlama

imported post

Interesting, there is no mention of the sword this time. Also, the murder charge seems to make more sense now with the 3rd shot being fired after the swordsman was down.

Reminds me a bit of the Norman Bordan case in Florida, in that, once the attacker has been incapacitated, stop shooting!

compmanio365

imported post

Indeed......sounds like someone got a little carried away and let his emotions continue the problem long after it should have stopped and he should have called 911. I can definitely understand the situation, you are afraid for your life (if the other guy really had a sword) and you shoot, then you become angry because this guy was threatening your life, but you can't let the anger dictate your actions. Once you do that it becomes a lot harder to prove self defense to a jury.......

It's interesting that they say there was people in hazmat suits.....makes one wonder if there was a meth lab and it had something to do with this........it will be interesting to follow this one and see how it comes out.....I already have my suspicions as to how it will turn out, but let's wait and see what news comes of it........

tarzan1888

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
.....It's interesting that they say there was people in hazmat suits.....makes one wonder if there was a meth lab and it had something to do with this........it will be interesting to follow this one and see how it comes out.....I already have my suspicions as to how it will turn out, but let's wait and see what news comes of it........

My first thought was where in today's economy does a 23 year old man get the scratch to own not one but at least 2 houses? :question:

Me thinks that we do not yet know the whole story. :shock:

olive1

imported post

In regards toChildershaving stormed the landlord with a sword,I have read articles where the police told the Landlord that, because of the trail of blood, Childers could not have grabbed a sword beforehand. The Landlord then renigged on his original story and admitted that Childers did NOT attack him with a sword, that he (the Landlord) grabbed the sword and placed it by the dead man's hand AFTER the shooting and before he called 911.

I certainly hope the police took fingerprints off the sword.

olive1

imported post

actually-this is taken from the Vashon Beachcomber-dated August 21, 2007:

"According to the report, the suspect told a 911 operator and the first detective to take a statement from him that Childers had run after him with a sword and that he grabbed a shotgun from behind a piano and fired three rounds.
When officers told him blood evidence at the scene did not match the incident he described, the suspect admitted Childers had not charged after him and that he approached Childers with his gun, fired twice, then fired a third shot after Childers collapsed onto the floor, according to the report.
He also admitted to moving evidence at the scene and lying to the 911 operator, the report says. "

So-Now-would someone please tell me why this guy has not been charged with anything?????

tarzan1888

imported post

olive1 wrote:
actually-this is taken from the Vashon Beachcomber-dated August 21, 2007:

"According to the report, the suspect told a 911 operator and the first detective to take a statement from him that Childers had run after him with a sword and that he grabbed a shotgun from behind a piano and fired three rounds.
When officers told him blood evidence at the scene did not match the incident he described, the suspect admitted Childers had not charged after him and that he approached Childers with his gun, fired twice, then fired a third shot after Childers collapsed onto the floor, according to the report.
He also admitted to moving evidence at the scene and lying to the 911 operator, the report says. "

So-Now-would someone please tell me why this guy has not been charged with anything?????
That is a very good question. :banghead:

AbNo

imported post

Well, *I* read that they were actually both space aliens fighting over a cow to mutilate.

I can say anything I want, and claim I read it in a story.

Without links, such postings are pointless.

olive1

imported post

AbNo wrote:
Well, *I* read that they were actually both space aliens fighting over a cow to mutilate.

I can say anything I want, and claim I read it in a story.

Without links, such postings are pointless.
you want a link-have a link...
http://www.vashonbeachcomber.com/portals-code/list.cgi?paper=90&cat=23&id=1049273&more=0
y
not to mention that I happen to live next door to him...sorry-not willing to give a link for that one. My privacy is more important than supplying that link.

kurtmax_0

imported post

Well, this sounds like the guy with the shotgun is in loads of trouble.

As for shooting someone on the ground... I dunno. On the ground is not the same as incapacitated. If I dropped someone and they started reaching for something in their clothes or whatnot, they would get another shot.....

I doubt I'd ever pass the stupidity test requiredto be on a jury, but I probably wouldn't consider a person being shot while on the ground in my decision.Even if he was already incapacitated when shot. I've never shot anyone, but I could imagine if the situation ever arised, it might be hard to stop shooting....

imported post

No one deserves to be shot. Unless it was true self defense. I would imagine that meth could be a part of the problem. He was a meth user, and sold meth from our rental house. Had a bad temper when under the influence of daily use of alcohol, destroyed property, and abused his female partner. There is a long history of none payment of rent and eviction. A true nightmare.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

just telling the truth wrote:
No one deserves to be shot. Unless it was true self defense. I would imagine that meth could be a part of the problem. He was a meth user, and sold meth from our rental house. Had a bad temper when under the influence of daily use of alcohol, destroyed property, and abused his female partner. There is a long history of none payment of rent and eviction. A true nightmare.
Who was the meth user? The shooter or the shootee?