• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Utah DWR forum says open carry is illegal?!?

xmirage2kx

imported post

Utah's laws are silent on open carry, thus making it legal if you obey all other laws (age, unloaded, 1000+ft from a school).

combatcarry

imported post

You don't have to convince me... :) Help me convince them.... I think they believe since it is a "concealed" firearm permit, the word "concealed" requires the gun to remain hidden. Supposedly one of them has a "sitting judge" relative that has revoked permits previously for open carry.

xmirage2kx

imported post

Ask them to find a law that says it is ILLEGAL to OC. Unless there is a law against it, then it IS legal.
"concealed" firearm permit gives you the ability to carry concealed. However the 2A gives you the right to own a gun, and Utah laws just state it is illegal to carry in certain areas while loaded, and 1000+ft from a school. So without a permit you can legally openly carry an unloaded gun (in Utah this is 2 actions from firing). Whit a permit you have these same rights PLUS the ability to carry loaded and/or concealed.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

combatcarry wrote:
... I think they believe since it is a "concealed" firearm permit, the word "concealed" requires the gun to remain hidden. ..

It says "concealed" because concealed carry is specifically prohibited by statute, without a permit.
OC is NOT prohibited by statute, therefor legal.
Tell them to show you the statute outlawing OC.
...Better yet.... Post the statute outlawing CC and then tell them to show you the statute outlawing OC. :)

Supposedly one of them has a "sitting judge" relative that has revoked permits previously for open carry.
I've heard this umteen times... NEVER once saw any proof. Hearsay is a popular tool in internet arguments since it is not verifiable...
Again, ask for an actual citation to this happening (doesn't exist because OC is legal).

xmirage2kx

imported post

Everyone (smart anyways) will always tell you to look it up yourself. I can say it is illegal to wear a red shirt and carry a gun. I can even (mis)quote laws to prove it. But until you confirm the info it is just hearsay. This is why posting a source is so important so it makes iteasy to prove/disprove. Take the laws as they are written, not what they may imply.

D. "Concealed" means that which is covered, hidden, or secreted in a manner that the public would not be aware of its presence and is readily accessible for immediate use.

Where does this say you cannot OC. Sure it is a great legal description for what concealed is, but how does this mean you cannot OC? I do not even see words that imply ANY restrictions, just a definition

Edit for more info

UTOC-45-44

imported post

combatcarry wrote:
I need some backup from peoplewiser than myself.

Over on the Utah DWR forum there is a rumor spreading that Open Carry is illegal in Utah.Here is the link: http://www.wildlife.utah.gov/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26454

"Nope. No firearms in camp, or on person during the archery hunt unless you have a CFP. Atleast that's what I understood."

This first part the discussion on that forum is for a discussion during Hunting which has different rules. When I took my HunterEd Class at Lee Kays as far as I understood it you can carry a handgun, but IF you don't have a Permit it has to be "Utah" loaded.

When It comes to OCing in the State of Utah Please refer to

Utah Code Section 76-10-505

[size=-1]76-10-505. Carrying loaded firearm in vehicle or on street. (1) Unless otherwise authorized by law, a person may not carry a loaded firearm: ...[/size]

76-10-505. Carrying loaded firearm in vehicle or on street.
(1) Unless otherwise authorized by law, a person may not carry a loaded firearm:
(a) in or on a vehicle;
(b) on any public street; or
(c) in a posted prohibited area.
(2) A violation of this section is a class B misdemeanor.

AND we have a Uniform Law in Utah

Utah Code Section 76-10-500

[size=-1]76-10-500. Uniform law. (1) The individual right to keep and bear arms being a constitutionally protected right, the Legislature finds the need to provide ...[/size]

76-10-500. Uniform law.
(1) The individual right to keep and bear arms being a constitutionally protected right, the Legislature finds the need to provide uniform laws throughout the state. Except as specifically provided by state law, a citizen of the United States or a lawfully admitted alien shall not be:
(a) prohibited from owning, possessing, purchasing, selling, transferring, transporting, or keeping any firearm at his place of residence, property, business, or in any vehicle lawfully in his possession or lawfully under his control; or
(b) required to have a permit or license to purchase, own, possess, transport, or keep a firearm.
(2) This part is uniformly applicable throughout this state and in all its political subdivisions and municipalities. All authority to regulate firearms shall be reserved to the state except where the Legislature specifically delegates responsibility to local authorities or state entities. Unless specifically authorized by the Legislature by statute, a local authority or state entity may not enact or enforce any ordinance, regulation, or rule pertaining to firearms.

tarzan1888

imported post

xmirage2kx wrote:
Everyone (smart anyways) will always tell you to look it up yourself. I can say it is illegal to wear a red shirt and carry a gun. I can even (mis)quote laws to prove it. But until you confirm the info it is just hearsay. This is why posting a source is so important so it makes iteasy to prove/disprove. Take the laws as they are written, not what they may imply.

D. "Concealed" means that which is covered, hidden, or secreted in a manner that the public would not be aware of its presence and is readily accessible for immediate use.

Where does this say you cannot OC. Sure it is a great legal description for what concealed is, but how does this mean you cannot OC? I do not even see words that imply ANY restrictions, just a definition

Edit for more info

Two Quotes cometo mind.

"He that hath ears to hear, let him hear"

and

"A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still."

It they don't want to believe you, they won't.

b1ack5mith

imported post

freakin idiots makin up laws on the other sites... someone enlighten their liberala$$e$ lmao

and they think its illegal to have a handgun in a camp!? wtf, oh yeah, a bear comes in and mauls your son, and you cant defend him...

xmirage2kx

imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:
freakin idiots makin up laws on the other sites... someone enlighten their liberala$$e$ lmao

and they think its illegal to have a handgun in a camp!? wtf, oh yeah, a bear comes in and mauls your son, and you cant defend him...
there are a different set of rules for hunting. If you are Bow hunting and dont have a CHP you cant have a handgun.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
b1ack5mith wrote:
but in a camp (family outing, fishing, whatever) you can open carry (if ANY PLACE is legal, that would be it lol!)
In the "Camp" you can even have the Firearm Loaded
Utah laws protect us wherever we call "home". Even if it is a temporary home such as a campsite.
[font="<!--"]
76-10-511. Possession of loaded weapon at residence authorized.
Except for persons described in Section 76-10-503, a person may have a loaded firearm at his place of residence, including any temporary residence or camp.
[/font]

UTOC-45-44

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
b1ack5mith wrote:
HAHAHAH what if i was a bum lmao!

Then you could have a loaded firearm in your refigerator box. That is if you don't trade it for whiskey or vodka. :p

Why trade in the Wiskey/Vodka ??? when you can drink AND Carry:celebrate???

In the State of Utah is the same Alcohol Levels as DUI;)