• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HENRICO -- It's for real.. Charges for "Voluntary Commitment" gun denial!

psmartin

imported post

For all the McCarthy supporters, and the naysayers of "it couldn't happen to me"

I was in Henrico General District court today appearing as a witness, and the case before mine was about a guy in court for "providing false information" on a firearms background-check form:

Here's the information as I have it (I was unable to electronically record, but it was on the 9:30 docket for Court #1, the last name of the defendant started with a C)

Facts as I have them:

1) Man was brought up on charges of providing "false information" on his background check form(the Va State Police were witnesses for the Commonwealth)
2) The reason for denial was "involuntary commitment"
3) The man's attorney readily admitted the man was "voluntarily committed", although not "involuntarily commited" and had all the commitment paperwork to show it, although the judge said: "I can't make a decision on voluntary vs involuntary in this case, this must be brought before another court"<very paraphrased>
4) The reason cited for the commitment was: The man was taking prescription painkillers<legally> for an injuryand began having hallucinations, and checked himself into a local center.
5) The paperwork that the state was arguing was an "involuntary commitment" was not properly filled out, not signed by the defendant, and noted he did not have counsel during the commitment process, and the defense attorney argued<very successfully> that it was NOT in fact an involuntary commitment... Although many thousands of dollars will have to be spent working on that government-snafu
6) The defendant plead guilty to a lesser misdemeanor charge with 12 months suspended and community service on a related charge, but it appears his lawyer "got him off" on the serious charge of "lying on the form"

So there ya have it, an average joe<very clean cut, he was able to hire this attorney who KNEW HIS STUFF> gets railroaded by the system.

Who knows how many years it will take to have his rights restored.

I was a fence-sitter on the whole mental-health issue before today, but then I witnessed the hell-bent angle a prosecutor is willing to make to score one for the home-team.

kaiheitai17

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Already started down that slippery slope, didn't take long did it?. Pretty soon,most of U.S. citizens will not be allowed to legally own a firearm because they have been excluded for a reason such as this. :cuss:

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I hope the guy considers contacting the NRA about this. They might be interested in pursuing it for him because of the wide implications of the case.

pkbites

imported post

kaiheitai17 wrote:
Already started down that slippery slope, didn't take long did it?. Pretty soon,most of U.S. citizens will not be allowed to legally own a firearm because they have been excluded for a reason such as this. :cuss:

This is the slippery slope Governor Doyale of Wisconsin is trying to create by prohibiting people with misdemeanor convictions involving firearms from owning one. That could include disorderly conduct charged because of open carry!:what:

Check out my thread on this over in the Wisconsin section (for some reason I can't post a link to it right now).

RU98A

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
I hope the guy considers contacting the NRA about this. They might be interested in pursuing it for him because of the wide implications of the case.
Won't do any good as the NRA was a big part of geting this type of bill passed.

robertnmjr

imported post

what this bill is going to do is cause alot of people to go out and buy there guns illegally. they are not going to care what these anti gun/ anti rights people say or try to impose on them because they are going to protect themselfs and there families regardless of what anyone says.