• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Held at gunpoint:

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Man wielding gun, knife robs Route 62 gas station

The Herald

BROOKFIELD —
Police are looking for the man who held a gun to a Brookfield gas station clerk’s temple during a robbery Sunday night.

Thirty-two-year-old Salil Gupta said he wasn’t scared during the holdup, but he acquiesced when the man pulled a knife out in his other hand.

Gupta opened up the cash register and the robber made away with cash and cigarettes before getting into a blue car with Pennsylvania license plates and speeding away.

Fuel Express, a full-service gas station located on U.S. Route 62 just west of the Pennsylvania-Ohio border, hasn’t been robbed in the three years he’s owned it, Sammy Kumar of Sharon said.

The robber walked into the station and asked about lottery tickets, then looked around before he pointed the gun at Gupta.

“He told me to empty the register,” Gupta said.

He said wasn’t scared by the robbery.

“It’s not a big thing for us,” Kumar said.

This guy is either stupid, has had this happen before and not been assaulted, lying, or has way more guts than I do. I can't say that I am okay with a gun pointed in my face, and then being robbed on top of that. I hope this isn't the typical response that people have to being held up...

dng

State Researcher
imported post

You racist! I'm surprised you didn't refer to him as "Abu". What are you saying about people who work at gas stations? (Sarcasm!;)) Actually, all joking aside, you are probably exactly right.

apu_small.jpg

Deacon Blues

imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
I'm thinking English is not his first language and it was just an articulation issue.
I was thinking the same thing. My guess is he was trying to say some to the effect of "I am not intimidated by this; robberies are a rare occurence here."

Then again, if this guy is a 1st generation American, he may just be extremely hard-boiled by conditions in his native country (India, I'm assuming). Remember, most of the world would consider our crime rates insignificant.

retgarr

imported post

Another possibility is the attendant knew what to do in case of robbery. He didn't have a means to defend himself and his best bet was to stay calm and try to defuse the situation. The robber is already hopped up on adrenaline (if not something else too), the attendant being nervous and not functioning normally is not going to help any. Don't want to do anything to set him off.

FightingGlock19

imported post

dngreer wrote:
You racist! I'm surprised you didn't refer to him as "Apu". What are you saying about people who work at gas stations? (Sarcasm!;)) Actually, all joking aside, you are probably exactly right.

apu_small.jpg
fixed it for you

spurrit

imported post

I LOVE it when Apu says, "Oh, my various Gods and deities!"