• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ah, the ideas of former cops...

Drewesque

imported post

I had an interesting discussion about the legality of open carry at Larry's Guns today.

I've carried openly in Larry's before, and I will again. Only one employee even gave me a second glance. He pointed toward it, smiled, and asked who I worked for. When I told him, he quickly frowned. As I had fully expected, he assumed I was an Only One. He told me that OC was "technically" legal, and I should expect to be stopped by the police. I explained that it was completely legal and the police were starting to be informed. I offered to go out to my car and get the training bulletins, but he brushed that off.
He told me that in Shelton, where he was once a cop, he would've stopped me. Trying not to be hostile, I said that he then would've let me go once my name cleared the system. He, of course, said he'd let me go and tell me to conceal. I asked what he'd say if I didn't have a concealed carry permit with me. He said he'd arrest me, which I promptly informed him would be a wrongful arrest. He started digging through a bag for his old, worn out copy of one of those traveler's guides to gun laws (I think...I never really saw the cover.
I browsed the store while he looked up what he needed, and even went out to get the training bulletins. When he finally found it, he pointed out that it said open carry was not recommended, as though this were the magical phrase that made it illegal. I showed him the training bulletins, which he scrutinized for a few minutes. He then scowled and said, "well what are these supposed to prove?" "Why, they're just proof that police departments are being trained to correctly interpret the law, which allows for open carry." He tried to tell me that someone being uncomfortable would make it brandishing, which I pointed out is not the case. I told him that a police officer could, at best, encourage me to move along.
He finally ended with a tirade about how he doesn't want people to know he's armed, since he'll then be shot. I tried to explain that OC can easily deter crime, as well. I didn't convince him that private citizens should be able to walk around with guns out in the open, but he started to see it as a possibility. Larry's grandkid, who was also working, seemed very receptive to the things I said.
I guess that an Only One stays the Only One no matter the circumstance.

This is also posted as part of a blog post on delivering the fliers for August 28th.
http://republitarians.blogspot.com/2007/08/open-carry-while-delivering-fliers.html

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Very good work, Drewesque. You had a good argument with him.

It's clear to me that you were the most persuasive because he changed the subject at the end. People who have a weak position always change the subject.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

HankT wrote:
Very good work, Drewesque. You had a good argument with him.

It's clear to me that you were the most persuasive because he changed the subject at the end. People who have a weak position always change the subject.
Or the person who has the better argument changes the subject just so than can win two arguments in one sitting :p

Good job Drew on standing your ground, it does sound like this guy got disgruntled and just dug himself deeper into an already poor argument. Would like to hear what the grandkid thought about your argument.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Hmm - sure! Actually thats my dry fire target:p/girlfriend.

Hopefully I get some new shots this weekend, but you have to have the proper ingredients, such as vodka and beer, and a pinch of mojo...

Someone found my avatar mildly offensive, which is fine, I suppose I could remove it if others find it offensive, haven't really contemplated if I would for sure or not.

amlevin

imported post

When I have discussions like this with "former cops" that don't understand the law, I ask them why they are no longer cops. Those that didn't retire from the job often just mumble things like "couldn't stand the department", "leadership was a bunch of fools", and excuses like this. The ones I find most interesting are those that left the field of Law Enforcement and became "Clerks", "Range Officers", and "locksmiths". With all that Leadership Expertise, and Knowlege (tounge in cheek here) they could have all become Chiefs in small town departments. Having grown up near Shelton as a kid, I wouldn't be too surprised that their cops were ignorant of the law. Back then, Ignorant described most of the force. If this "employee" is in his 60's, he was probably one of "them" when I was a kid.

bobcat

imported post

Remember that most folks will only change their mind if THEY think they were the ones that came up with the idea.

Be content with 'planting seeds' on fertile ground. Water a little now and then and eventually, they will be preaching your idea to YOU! Smile, agree, don't gloat and be content with knowing your 'little system' works. ;)

Phssthpok

imported post

openryan wrote:
Vasectomy?

*slaps own hand*

OW!

*slaps own hand*

Bad, Phssthpok...bad, BAD Phssathpok....

*slaps own hand*

DrewGunner

imported post

openryan wrote:

Hopefully I get some new shots this weekend, but you have to have the proper ingredients, such as vodka and beer, and a pinch of mojo...

Someone found my avatar mildly offensive, which is fine, I suppose I could remove it if others find it offensive, haven't really contemplated if I would for sure or not.
I think I speak for everyone here Ryan when I say, none of us find it offensive. You get anymore complaints, you send them my why and I'll take care of it. ;)

metricinch

imported post

ryan, I find it offesive that the avatar size isn't bigger on this forum. :D

as for Larry's, I purchased my first pistol there, but have never purchased another thing there. I find that the guy's in there are ignorant and rude. Much like Wade's in Bellevue, which is appropriate considering that they were once owned by the same person as I recall.

The one that pushed me over the edge of not giving them any more biz was the fact that they tried to push an Olympic Arms AR-15 off on me as top of the line. I am guessing they get a nice percentage from Olympic, being local and all.

Drewesque

imported post

amlevin wrote:
If this "employee" is in his 60's, he was probably one of "them" when I was a kid.

He was one of "them," I'm thinking. I think he got to retire, but I don't know for sure.

Ryan, thanks for reading my blog and, no, your avatar isn't offensive, as long as she is okay with it. I find it a bit odd that you display your girlfriend on here, but it looks as though you have reason to :lol:

As for Larry's, I deal with Larry only, if I can help it. He generally knows what he's talking about, though he can be sort of a pain to deal with at times. His wife is the most pleasant person in the store, but she doesn't know as much (still better than the other employees). I've purchased two handguns and a shotgun from him, and only the first handgun was new. I now use the store to find good used deals (like the Kimber lightweight double stack 1911 that's in there now...I just don't have the money).

I don't let them tell me much of anything about the guns, since some of them figure a high-end Olympic Arms AR is top-of-the-line, as you say, and Larry wouldn't ever let you know that he's selling you something that may not be the best gun in the known universe. I've even given them outs to say that there might be a particular problem with a certain model/caliber combination, like when I told them the horror stories I had read about the early models of the Taurus 24/7 Pro in .45.

I'd probably go elsewhere if I could find a decent price and better folks, but J&S is pretty much an Olympic Arms shop with some smatterings of other stuff (none of which they have any idea about), and the other places I hit are big box retailers, which means that I deal with people who need me to draw them a diagram before they can locate the gun I am identifying, pointing at, and describing.

If anyone knows of a good gun store within a reasonable distance from Lacey, I may check it out.