Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: 18 yo open carry

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Fredericksburg, ,
    Posts
    16

    Post imported post

    Im 18 years old and have been wanting to open carry. Im not sure how this would work since I am legally not allowed to purchase a handgun nor ammo. I was given a .357 mag by my father and would like to carry it.I have ammo but would I have to carry it unloaded? I just returned from Army basic training and I don't think it makes much sense that I can go to war for my country and operate fully automatic heavy machine guns, but can't buy ammo for my handgun.

  2. #2
    Regular Member Kingfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA
    Posts
    1,276

    Post imported post

    What state are you in?

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Fredericksburg, ,
    Posts
    16

    Post imported post

    Fredericksburg VA

  4. #4
    Campaign Veteran Dutch Uncle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,715

    Post imported post

    You certainly are able to OC legally. You need to be 18 to OWN the pistol legally, so you are good to go even if you can't buy one from an FFL or buy the ammo. Ask LEO 229 if you want. Welcome to the board.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Morgan, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,580

    Post imported post

    Dutch Uncle wrote:
    You certainly are able to OC legally. You need to be 18 to OWN the pistol legally, so you are good to go even if you can't buy one from an FFL or buy the ammo. Ask LEO 229 if you want. Welcome to the board

    Can he carry it Loaded, meaning 1 in the Chamber ??? O r does it have to be Unloaded ???

  6. #6
    State Researcher dng's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    , , USA
    Posts
    1,290

    Post imported post

    I would suggest reading the state's gun laws for yourself, and being educated on the topic before OCing. Best to know for sure; (no disrespect to anyone on this forum) because you read it with your own eyes. Plus it helped me to be able to recall facts regarding the lawmore easilywhen people question me about carrying.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Morgan, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,580

    Post imported post

    dngreer wrote:
    I would suggest reading the state's gun laws for yourself, and being educated on the topic before OCing. Best to know for sure; (no disrespect to anyone on this forum) because you read it with your own eyes. Plus it helped me to be able to recall facts regarding the lawmore easilywhen people question me about carrying.
    I know what they (the Laws) are in Utah but what I was indicating was that if vaguardmay not be aware of the OC is Legal he/she should NOT strap on and the firearm is Loaded when it's supposed to Unloaded for example.

    Do you, dngreer, have ANY reading material or directions for young vaguardwhere he/she can read up on this info ?? For Virginia. You seem to be so knowledgable

  8. #8
    Regular Member Kingfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA
    Posts
    1,276

    Post imported post

    dngreer wrote:
    I would suggest reading the state's gun laws for yourself, and being educated on the topic before OCing. Best to know for sure; (no disrespect to anyone on this forum) because you read it with your own eyes. Plus it helped me to be able to recall facts regarding the lawmore easilywhen people question me about carrying.

    Although I agree on a certain level...we should really take it easy on the guy. I for example, if he had been in TN or AL I could have given him an answer with statues sighted and he sould read them for himself. So, instead just basically saying, go find the answer yourself, why don't we help the guy out with a step in the right direction. I see this happen all the time where someone new asks a question (maybe a simple question that has been asked many time) and someone jumps all over him when we should be encouraging him and pointing him in hte right place.

  9. #9
    Campaign Veteran Dutch Uncle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,715

    Post imported post

    Virginia's handgun laws are on www.handgunlaws.us but there won't be any reference to OC specifically. Laws generally tell you what you can't do, not what you can. OC isn't forbidden, therefore it is within to law to do it. Article 1 sec 13 of the Virginia constitution makes it clear that citizens have the right to bear arms. All the restrictions on ownership and purchase of ammo for those under 21 are Federal laws, not state laws. There are no laws specifying anything about loaded vs. unloaded chambers in VA.

  10. #10
    State Researcher dng's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    , , USA
    Posts
    1,290

    Post imported post

    UTOC-45-44 wrote:
    dngreer wrote:
    I would suggest reading the state's gun laws for yourself, and being educated on the topic before OCing. Best to know for sure; (no disrespect to anyone on this forum) because you read it with your own eyes. Plus it helped me to be able to recall facts regarding the lawmore easilywhen people question me about carrying.
    I know what they (the Laws) are in Utah but what I was indicating was that if vaguardmay not be aware of the OC is Legal he/she should NOT strap on and the firearm is Loaded when it's supposed to Unloaded for example.

    Do you, dngreer, have ANY reading material or directions for young vaguardwhere he/she can read up on this info ?? For Virginia. You seem to be so knowledgable
    I'm sorry UTOC, this was not directed at you. It was an unfortunate way of how the post's order fell. It took me a little while to post that, (busy doing other things) and your post scooted in ahead of mine before I even read it. I was just offering some friendly advice to vaguard, and I didn't mean to come across as calling you out. It is easy to see how I came across as a know-it-all, and I truly never intended that. Hopefully this clears up the misunderstanding, and there aren't any hard feelings. I never meant it to seem like I was jumping all over someone.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Morgan, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,580

    Post imported post

    dngreer wrote:
    UTOC-45-44 wrote:
    dngreer wrote:
    I would suggest reading the state's gun laws for yourself, and being educated on the topic before OCing. Best to know for sure; (no disrespect to anyone on this forum) because you read it with your own eyes. Plus it helped me to be able to recall facts regarding the lawmore easilywhen people question me about carrying.
    I know what they (the Laws) are in Utah but what I was indicating was that if vaguardmay not be aware of the OC is Legal he/she should NOT strap on and the firearm is Loaded when it's supposed to Unloaded for example.

    Do you, dngreer, have ANY reading material or directions for young vaguardwhere he/she can read up on this info ?? For Virginia. You seem to be so knowledgable
    I'm sorry UTOC, this was not directed at you. It was an unfortunate way of how the post's order fell. It took me a little while to post that, (busy doing other things) and your post scooted in ahead of mine before I even read it. I was just offering some friendly advice to vaguard, and I didn't mean to come across as calling you out. It is easy to see how I came across as a know-it-all, and I truly never intended that. Hopefully this clears up the misunderstanding, and there aren't any hard feelings. I never meant it to seem like I was jumping all over someone.
    Don't worry about it. We are all buds here. We're Ok

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    , Virginia, USA
    Posts
    13

    Post imported post

    vaguard,

    Here are some of the sections that would apply to your situation. You can Google to find them online for the complete text. I only provided the relevant information below...


    VA 18.2-308.7 Possession or transportation of certain firearms by persons under the age of 18; penalty.
    It shall be unlawful for anyone under 18 years of age to knowingly and intentionally possess or transport a handgun or assault firearm anywhere in the Commonwealth.......


    VA 18.2-287.4 Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty.
    Says you can open carry it loaded as long it is not equipped with a magazine that holds more than 20 rounds, or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer.

    To get around the 20 round and silencer limitation you have to have a concealed handgun permit (CHP), which requires you to be 21 years of age.

    So at 18 you can possess a handgun, and can open carry it while loaded. There are exceptions that prohibit carrying in certain locations, such as in courthouses, federal property, etc.



  13. #13
    Regular Member Bubba Ron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Virginia Beach, , USA
    Posts
    883

    Post imported post

    vaguard wrote:
    Im 18 years old and have been wanting to open carry. Im not sure how this would work since I am legally not allowed to purchase a handgun nor ammo. I was given a .357 mag by my father and would like to carry it.I have ammo but would I have to carry it unloaded? I just returned from Army basic training and I don't think it makes much sense that I can go to war for my country and operate fully automatic heavy machine guns, but can't buy ammo for my handgun.
    Dutch Uncle has provided you with excellent advise for open carry in Virginia. Thank you for serving our country, please continue to frequent this website so we can keep tabs on you. You're one of us now.....


  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Richmond, ,
    Posts
    65

    Post imported post

    Vanguard, what does your dad think about your intention to openly carry the firearm he gave you?

    I think you ought to respect his opinion on whether you should openly carry it.









  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Morgan, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,580

    Post imported post

    taurusfan wrote:
    Vanguard, what does your dad think about your intention to openly carry the firearm he gave you?

    I think you ought to respect his opinion on whether you should openly carry it.








    Respect it doesn't mean that he should not OC.

    To not use it is a VERY expensive Paperweight.

    What I mean is that it's his "Piece" and it's 100% up him how to use it.




  16. #16
    Regular Member Bubba Ron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Virginia Beach, , USA
    Posts
    883

    Post imported post

    taurusfan wrote:
    Vanguard, what does your dad think about your intention to openly carry the firearm he gave you?

    I think you ought to respect his opinion on whether you should openly carry it.
    The man is serving our country in the US Army - he's entitled to make his OWN decisions now. After all, his Dad gave him the gun - I doubt he wanted his Son to keep it in the box.

    vaguard, if you're not already a VCDL member - now a great time to join - you can join online at www.vcdl.org - I guarantee you will never regret it!!

  17. #17
    Campaign Veteran Dutch Uncle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,715

    Post imported post

    +1

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Fredericksburg, ,
    Posts
    16

    Post imported post

    Hey thanks alot for the infoguys. The VCDL looks like a great organization which I will defenitly be a part of.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA, ,
    Posts
    385

    Post imported post

    Dutch Uncle wrote:
    Virginia's handgun laws are on http://www.handgunlaws.us but there won't be any reference to OC specifically. Laws generally tell you what you can't do, not what you can. OC isn't forbidden, therefore it is within to law to do it. Article 1 sec 13 of the Virginia constitution makes it clear that citizens have the right to bear arms. All the restrictions on ownership and purchase of ammo for those under 21 are Federal laws, not state laws. There are no laws specifying anything about loaded vs. unloaded chambers in VA.
    You can also go right to the source (http://www.virginia.gov).

    If you click the right spots there, you can get to the section for the State Code (http://leg1.state.va.us/000/src.htm). Select "Table of Contents", then "Title 18.2", and then start browsing through Chapter 7.

    Title 15.2 Section 915 is also worthwhile to read, in the event that someone tries to claim that you're violating a city law banning open carry.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •