• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

18 yo open carry

vaguard

imported post

Im 18 years old and have been wanting to open carry. Im not sure how this would work since I am legally not allowed to purchase a handgun nor ammo. I was given a .357 mag by my father and would like to carry it.I have ammo but would I have to carry it unloaded? I just returned from Army basic training and I don't think it makes much sense that I can go to war for my country and operate fully automatic heavy machine guns, but can't buy ammo for my handgun.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

You certainly are able to OC legally. You need to be 18 to OWN the pistol legally, so you are good to go even if you can't buy one from an FFL or buy the ammo. Ask LEO 229 if you want. Welcome to the board.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
You certainly are able to OC legally. You need to be 18 to OWN the pistol legally, so you are good to go even if you can't buy one from an FFL or buy the ammo. Ask LEO 229 if you want. Welcome to the board

Can he carry it Loaded, meaning 1 in the Chamber ??? O r does it have to be Unloaded ???

dng

State Researcher
imported post

I would suggest reading the state's gun laws for yourself, and being educated on the topic before OCing. Best to know for sure; (no disrespect to anyone on this forum) because you read it with your own eyes. Plus it helped me to be able to recall facts regarding the lawmore easilywhen people question me about carrying.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

dngreer wrote:
I would suggest reading the state's gun laws for yourself, and being educated on the topic before OCing. Best to know for sure; (no disrespect to anyone on this forum) because you read it with your own eyes. Plus it helped me to be able to recall facts regarding the lawmore easilywhen people question me about carrying.

I know what they (the Laws) are in Utah but what I was indicating was that if vaguardmay not be aware of the OC is Legal he/she should NOT strap on and the firearm is Loaded when it's supposed to Unloaded for example.

Do you, dngreer, have ANY reading material or directions for young vaguardwhere he/she can read up on this info ?? For Virginia. You seem to be so knowledgable

Kingfish

imported post

dngreer wrote:

Although I agree on a certain level...we should really take it easy on the guy. I for example, if he had been in TN or AL I could have given him an answer with statues sighted and he sould read them for himself. So, instead just basically saying, go find the answer yourself, why don't we help the guy out with a step in the right direction. I see this happen all the time where someone new asks a question (maybe a simple question that has been asked many time) and someone jumps all over him when we should be encouraging him and pointing him in hte right place.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Virginia's handgun laws are on www.handgunlaws.us but there won't be any reference to OC specifically. Laws generally tell you what you can't do, not what you can. OC isn't forbidden, therefore it is within to law to do it. Article 1 sec 13 of the Virginia constitution makes it clear that citizens have the right to bear arms. All the restrictions on ownership and purchase of ammo for those under 21 are Federal laws, not state laws. There are no laws specifying anything about loaded vs. unloaded chambers in VA.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
dngreer wrote:

I know what they (the Laws) are in Utah but what I was indicating was that if vaguardmay not be aware of the OC is Legal he/she should NOT strap on and the firearm is Loaded when it's supposed to Unloaded for example.

Do you, dngreer, have ANY reading material or directions for young vaguardwhere he/she can read up on this info ?? For Virginia. You seem to be so knowledgable
I'm sorry UTOC, this was not directed at you. It was an unfortunate way of how the post's order fell. It took me a little while to post that, (busy doing other things) and your post scooted in ahead of mine before I even read it. I was just offering some friendly advice to vaguard, and I didn't mean to come across as calling you out. It is easy to see how I came across as a know-it-all, and I truly never intended that. Hopefully this clears up the misunderstanding, and there aren't any hard feelings. I never meant it to seem like I was jumping all over someone.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

dngreer wrote:
UTOC-45-44 wrote:
dngreer wrote:

I'm sorry UTOC, this was not directed at you. It was an unfortunate way of how the post's order fell. It took me a little while to post that, (busy doing other things) and your post scooted in ahead of mine before I even read it. I was just offering some friendly advice to vaguard, and I didn't mean to come across as calling you out. It is easy to see how I came across as a know-it-all, and I truly never intended that. Hopefully this clears up the misunderstanding, and there aren't any hard feelings. I never meant it to seem like I was jumping all over someone.
Don't worry about it. We are all buds here. We're Ok :dude:

JimmyN

imported post

vaguard,

Here are some of the sections that would apply to your situation. You can Google to find them online for the complete text. I only provided the relevant information below...

VA 18.2-308.7 Possession or transportation of certain firearms by persons under the age of 18; penalty.
It shall be unlawful for anyone under 18 years of age to knowingly and intentionally possess or transport a handgun or assault firearm anywhere in the Commonwealth.......

VA 18.2-287.4 Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty.
Says you can open carry it loaded as long it is not equipped with a magazine that holds more than 20 rounds, or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer.

To get around the 20 round and silencer limitation you have to have a concealed handgun permit (CHP), which requires you to be 21 years of age.

So at 18 you can possess a handgun, and can open carry it while loaded. There are exceptions that prohibit carrying in certain locations, such as in courthouses, federal property, etc.

Bubba Ron

imported post

vaguard wrote:
Im 18 years old and have been wanting to open carry. Im not sure how this would work since I am legally not allowed to purchase a handgun nor ammo. I was given a .357 mag by my father and would like to carry it.I have ammo but would I have to carry it unloaded? I just returned from Army basic training and I don't think it makes much sense that I can go to war for my country and operate fully automatic heavy machine guns, but can't buy ammo for my handgun.
Dutch Uncle has provided you with excellent advise for open carry in Virginia. Thank you for serving our country, please continue to frequent this website so we can keep tabs on you. You're one of us now.....

taurusfan

imported post

Vanguard, what does your dad think about your intention to openly carry the firearm he gave you?

I think you ought to respect his opinion on whether you should openly carry it. :)

UTOC-45-44

imported post

taurusfan wrote:
Vanguard, what does your dad think about your intention to openly carry the firearm he gave you?

I think you ought to respect his opinion on whether you should openly carry it. :)

Respect it doesn't mean that he should not OC.

To not use it is a VERY expensive Paperweight.

What I mean is that it's his "Piece" and it's 100% up him how to use it.

Bubba Ron

imported post

taurusfan wrote:

The man is serving our country in the US Army - he's entitled to make his OWN decisions now. After all, his Dad gave him the gun - I doubt he wanted his Son to keep it in the box.

vaguard, if you're not already a VCDL member - now a great time to join - you can join online at www.vcdl.org - I guarantee you will never regret it!!

vtme_grad98

imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
Virginia's handgun laws are on http://www.handgunlaws.us but there won't be any reference to OC specifically. Laws generally tell you what you can't do, not what you can. OC isn't forbidden, therefore it is within to law to do it. Article 1 sec 13 of the Virginia constitution makes it clear that citizens have the right to bear arms. All the restrictions on ownership and purchase of ammo for those under 21 are Federal laws, not state laws. There are no laws specifying anything about loaded vs. unloaded chambers in VA.
You can also go right to the source (http://www.virginia.gov).

If you click the right spots there, you can get to the section for the State Code (http://leg1.state.va.us/000/src.htm). Select "Table of Contents", then "Title 18.2", and then start browsing through Chapter 7.

Title 15.2 Section 915 is also worthwhile to read, in the event that someone tries to claim that you're violating a city law banning open carry.