• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Campus Police

UTOC-45-44

imported post

HankT wrote:
UTOC-45-44 wrote:
HankT wrote:
dngreer wrote:
More feasible than spending billions of dollars (and never actually succeeding) trying to secure all our nations schools with cameras, locks, loud speakers, email alerts, and campus shutdowns. School security will be the strongest when you can get right to the problem. What's closer to a classroom shooting than the people actually there, at the confrontation?

What would it cost to train and arm 6.2 million teachers?

Would you also train and arm some school staff/employees too?

Ballpark, how much d'ya think?
Cheaper than 6.2 million students dying !!!:cuss:

Huh?

:uhoh:

I would rather have 6.2 million teachers get their CCW and trained and to be able to "see" my tax$$$ at work than another VA Tech or Columbine.

What is the Cost ($$$ wise) of a dead Mother,Brother, Sister or Dad to compare to ??? Not even to mention the Emotional "cost" ???

I'd rather see 6.2 million teachers get their "Piece" than Bush running around in Iraq for No reason and It costs $$$450 BILLION +:cuss:

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Well, I think I have one supporter (maybe)for my idea... :D Maybe Ron Paul will like my idea? I think I'll call his cell and ask him if I'm crazy, or if that's just HankT. :exclaim: Just kidding HankT, it's all in good fun.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

I wish I had his cell number, and I wouldn't mind having some other candidates cell numbers. Believe me, I'd pass them on. But I'd be yelling some of the other candidates, so that wouldn't be good...

dng

State Researcher
imported post

bayboy42 wrote:
$100 for 12 hours of Firearms training......I'm moving to Ohio :lol:
I would advise against that... I wouldn't exactly call Ohio "God's county", but you're welcome to come take the CCW classes. Little expensive by the time you pay for airline tickets. I'm planning on taking the classes with my wife and grandfather here in a little while, so you'd have someone to go with. :idea:

Legba

imported post

The city of Hamilton Municipal Police Department offers the CCW class at $55 per (the permit application is that much again through the Sheriff's Dept.) I refer people to that by default as the least expensive training locally. Anyone from Butler or an adjacent county can obtain their permits through here thus (although I guess you can take the class itself from certified instructors anywhere). So - the $100 for 12 hours nearly covers 2 people here.

-ljp

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Now I'm jealous. Why did you have to go and do that to me, Legba? But by the time I spend the money to drive down there, I'd break even.

Legba

imported post

Gas I can't help with, but I think the city cops here owe me a comped permit for all the referrals (I actually suggested this in an e-mail - no response).

-ljp

ChinChin

imported post

There are many assumptions in my following plan granted, however:

Let assume raw police recruits receive a solid week of firearms training total dispersed throughout their 3 months at the academy training to be an officer. Training to include proper handling, proper use of lethal force, cleaning, and accuracy/range practice & instruction. That is 5 days at 8 hours per day =40 hours of Firearms training.

Most agencies I know of require yearly, or bi-yearly certification of their firearm training/accuracy. This recertification as required by their policies asks they report to (x) police range to qualify. Lets say this takes 4 hours. This assumption does not take into account any training for SWAT, or related paramilitary related special units.

Going with a bi-annual requirement, that is 48 hoursfor the firstyear an officer spends to be “trained” with their weapon, with 8hours every year thereafter and does not take into account any practice they pay for out of pocket themselves. . .which from officers I know is reported to be rare. Let’s round up to 50 hours just for a good round number for year 1. Now, obviously we want great instructors to train our teachers since they’ll be defending our children. We’ll use the pricing they use at the Thunder Ranch training facility in Oregon. A 3 day course costs $880.00. Assuming 8 hours a day of training, (880.00 / 24 hours total = $36.67 per hour x 40 hours for the week of training = $1466.80 per teacher to be trained, as good as, if not better than your average campus security officer.

Weapons:

We want our teachers to have a sturdy and reliable weapon, and something able to have enough rounds to seriously deter a deranged gunman. I’m opting for a Glock 17 .9mm semiautomatic firearm for the purposes of pricing. A quick check shows me that any Joe of good social standing can purchase said handgun for a retail price of $559.00, which includes 1 17 round magazine. Now, any accountant can tell you that when you order in bulk, you get great pricing. So lets say a state (or commonwealth) puts out an RFP to purchase 124,000 firearms (6.2M / 50 states = 124,000 teachers). For a contract that large, you better believe the cost will come down. Lets assume the winning bid for that Glock 17 came in at $459 per unit.

They’ll need to shoot rounds of course. . .

A box of Hornady 90252 XTP Pistol 9mm Luger 115Gr JHP, 20Rnd runs $12.16 (with 3 rounds left over!!! )A nice 3-slot hip holster from Galco runs $62.00 (again with the RFP/reduced pricing for contract win) would go for $42.00.

So fully armed the material cost would be $513.16.

Total cost to arm a teacher would be 1979.96, but let’s say $2000.00 for a nice round number.

$2000 x 124,000 teachers in one state would be a cost of $248 million.

You would of course get to subtract the total cost of “resource officers” that are paid to be armed guards at the schools. No information on what they are paid.

Of course, government at the state level could apply for federal funding to help offset that cost, so the $248M number is just the starting point. If we (The US of A) would stop handing out money overseas for loans and relief programs, the money can be easily found. Heck, in 2005 the US paid Sub-Saharan Africa a total of $262M in Military aid. There is one state covered right there. Makes sense that we worry about us first before we help out the other corners of the globe.

So is it economically and logistically possible? Easily. Of course we’ll hear the stock-phrase planned agreements from the anti crowd, such as Stock response # 1 “The streets will run red with blood” and stock response # 2 “It will be like the OK corral” and # 3 (time tested favorite) “It will be the wild west.” But we always hear these arguments every time there is a major policy/law shift favoring 2[suP]nd[/suP] amendment supports, and every time none of the arguments come true.

So. . .$2000.00 for training and arming one teacher vs.. . what is the going rate for a child's life these days?

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Great breakdown, chin chin. Numbers seem fair enough, too. And you raise a good point, what is the going rate for a child's life? I know people who have spent $10,000-$20,000 just to be able to adopt a child, if that's any way to put a "price tag" on a child's life.

Cue-Ball

imported post

I think it's important to make a distinction between requiring teachers to be trained and armed and allowing them to be. My wife is a teacher. She has taken multiple firearm training courses (and we're signed up for another 2-day, 16 hour course next month). She goes to the range about once a month. She's got her CPL and carries almost all the time except when she's at work.

So, even though she is ready, willing, and able to assume the responsiblity, she is banned from protecting her own life and the lives of those around her by our own backwards laws.

All that needs to be done is to remove the unconstitutional barriers to the right to keep and bear arms. At the very least, I can assure you that we'd have one less "sitting duck" classroom, and it would come at no expense to Joe and Jane Taxpayer.

kparker

imported post

Cue-Ball is right on target! We don't need a massive new government program, at least not for starters. Instead, let's just remove the institutional and legal obstacles keeping the self-selected (and self-financed) minority from doing what they are ready and willing to do for the common good.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Cue-Ball wrote:
I think it's important to make a distinction between requiring teachers to be trained and armed and allowing them to be. My wife is a teacher. She has taken multiple firearm training courses (and we're signed up for another 2-day, 16 hour course next month). She goes to the range about once a month. She's got her CPL and carries almost all the time except when she's at work.

So, even though she is ready, willing, and able to assume the responsiblity, she is banned from protecting her own life and the lives of those around her by our own backwards laws.

All that needs to be done is to remove the unconstitutional barriers to the right to keep and bear arms. At the very least, I can assure you that we'd have one less "sitting duck" classroom, and it would come at no expense to Joe and Jane Taxpayer.
+1 Right on Cue-Ball. The government screws up everything they get their money-grabbing hands on. You are exactly right. Not even HankT can argue with that! Or, can you, Hank?:)

gotarheels03

imported post

My campus police don't even carry guns. They have to keep their gun locked away at public safety and call for an officer to bring them a weapon if they're going to a call where they think they'll need one. I'm pretty sure such a request has to be OK'd by a superior at the station.

Even more amazing, they have to qualify with their firearm once a year just like the State Police do, yet the administration still says "Newark is SO SAFE we don't think you should carry them." They've even said this after a high profile murder of a student, a string of break-ins, and a serial rapist.

It must make parents feel Sooooo safe knowing a bunch of unarmed guys in uniforms are the ones who are supposed to keep students safe on campus.

DrewGunner

imported post

ChinChin wrote:
There are many assumptions in my following plan granted, however:

Let assume raw police recruits receive a solid week of firearms training total dispersed throughout their 3 months at the academy training to be an officer. Training to include proper handling, proper use of lethal force, cleaning, and accuracy/range practice & instruction. That is 5 days at 8 hours per day =40 hours of Firearms training.

Most agencies I know of require yearly, or bi-yearly certification of their firearm training/accuracy. This recertification as required by their policies asks they report to (x) police range to qualify. Lets say this takes 4 hours. This assumption does not take into account any training for SWAT, or related paramilitary related special units.

Going with a bi-annual requirement, that is 48 hoursfor the firstyear an officer spends to be “trained” with their weapon, with 8hours every year thereafter and does not take into account any practice they pay for out of pocket themselves. . .which from officers I know is reported to be rare. Let’s round up to 50 hours just for a good round number for year 1. Now, obviously we want great instructors to train our teachers since they’ll be defending our children. We’ll use the pricing they use at the Thunder Ranch training facility in Oregon. A 3 day course costs $880.00. Assuming 8 hours a day of training, (880.00 / 24 hours total = $36.67 per hour x 40 hours for the week of training = $1466.80 per teacher to be trained, as good as, if not better than your average campus security officer.

Weapons:

We want our teachers to have a sturdy and reliable weapon, and something able to have enough rounds to seriously deter a deranged gunman. I’m opting for a Glock 17 .9mm semiautomatic firearm for the purposes of pricing. A quick check shows me that any Joe of good social standing can purchase said handgun for a retail price of $559.00, which includes 1 17 round magazine. Now, any accountant can tell you that when you order in bulk, you get great pricing. So lets say a state (or commonwealth) puts out an RFP to purchase 124,000 firearms (6.2M / 50 states = 124,000 teachers). For a contract that large, you better believe the cost will come down. Lets assume the winning bid for that Glock 17 came in at $459 per unit.

They’ll need to shoot rounds of course. . .

A box of Hornady 90252 XTP Pistol 9mm Luger 115Gr JHP, 20Rnd runs $12.16 (with 3 rounds left over!!! )A nice 3-slot hip holster from Galco runs $62.00 (again with the RFP/reduced pricing for contract win) would go for $42.00.

So fully armed the material cost would be $513.16.

Total cost to arm a teacher would be 1979.96, but let’s say $2000.00 for a nice round number.

$2000 x 124,000 teachers in one state would be a cost of $248 million.

You would of course get to subtract the total cost of “resource officers” that are paid to be armed guards at the schools. No information on what they are paid.

Of course, government at the state level could apply for federal funding to help offset that cost, so the $248M number is just the starting point. If we (The US of A) would stop handing out money overseas for loans and relief programs, the money can be easily found. Heck, in 2005 the US paid Sub-Saharan Africa a total of $262M in Military aid. There is one state covered right there. Makes sense that we worry about us first before we help out the other corners of the globe.

So is it economically and logistically possible? Easily. Of course we’ll hear the stock-phrase planned agreements from the anti crowd, such as Stock response # 1 “The streets will run red with blood” and stock response # 2 “It will be like the OK corral” and # 3 (time tested favorite) “It will be the wild west.” But we always hear these arguments every time there is a major policy/law shift favoring 2[suP]nd[/suP] amendment supports, and every time none of the arguments come true.

So. . .$2000.00 for training and arming one teacher vs.. . what is the going rate for a child's life these days?
Very nice.

DrewGunner

imported post

Cue-Ball wrote:

Exactly!

Narcisist

imported post

dngreer wrote:
Right nowthere are six officers watching over the students. Well, that's a small army right there!
How about not arming every single teacher, not all are are going to be willing, or capable of basic handling techniques and training, (which I think they should be).

Instead, have twice as many willing teachers be trained and armed, than "officers" who do nothing useful until their needed. Sametraing as "officers" to ensure similar reactions and expectations.

Try and figure outhow much it costs to have six armed, trained officers in every school doing nothing useful until their needed, vs. 12 teachers armed, trained, and educating, readywhenthey're needed (even with the teachers having compensated wages) and compare.