• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Entering/Exiting your Vehicle

bspurs5

imported post

Hello OCers! I am a new proud owner of a Glock 19, and have been following this site for weeks now and doing my studying on OC. As a result, I am very thankful for living in Virginia and eager to begin OCing!

I have a technical question about getting in and out of your vehicle. When entering your vehicle, at what point do you take your gun out of the holster and lay it in the seat (or wherever)? How do you keep from brandishing your gun in the open, versus having in concealed in your vehicle? Is there ever a chance that it could be THAT close of a call with a LEO?

I am anticipating it being a pain to take my gun on and off when I may be running a number a errands, and hopping in and out of the Jeep.

Thanks for having me!

Brian D.

imported post

Remember, one cannot have a negligent discharge without handling the firearm. Or putproperly, the more firearms are handled, the greater the possibility of an ND.

Kingfish

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
I don’t take it out of the holster. A gun inside a properly fitting holster cannot fire, so I view the holster as a failure resistant safety.

I think he is talking about Virgina law about having to conceal inside a vehicle.

If that is the case, then just leave it on and keep come sort of cover...A shop rag would do nicely I would think. Just leave it on the seat and cover when you get in and uncover when you get out.

bspurs5

imported post

Yea, my question was moreso of timing, in open carrying versus concealed inside the vehicle. When you park, do you get out of the car and then holster, or do you holster inside the vehicle (which could be concealed) and then get out. And vice versa, when you enter the vehicle, do you unholster outside of the vehicle (brandishing?) and then get in, or do you get in and then unholster?

I realize it's a pretty picky question, but just wondering how the law would consider that situation.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

To me, it really depends on where I am. But most the time, I holster my gun before I exit my vehicle.

Kingfish

imported post

Can't be much help in that case. Under normal circumstances my gun never leaves the holster outside of my home (range use excepted.) If I do need to take it off when I am going to a prohibited place, I take the holster off as well. This way there is very very little chance of an ND and no chance of brandishing.

And if you are going to be drawing and holstering often then you will want to be extra carefull with the Glock and it's "safety features" of not having a safety.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
Crossdraw carriers don't need to mess with the gun...the crossdraw isperfect for sitting postions.

-- John D.
Good point. I've never seriously considered carrying that way, but maybe I should.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

I first started carrying a gun that way over in the RVN (when I was a tank driver at that particulartime during my tour)...a .45 positioned like that to deal with someone approaching or climbing up on the tank was real handy in confined quarters and limited time to react.

When I got back to The World, I found I preferred carrying crossdraw...and it turned out to be just as handy when in the car. And when I am on my motorcycle, too. A pretty versatile way to carry IMO.

In the RVN, I carried my 1911much the way I saw, many years later, Chuck Norris (Walker, Texas Ranger TV show) carry his revolver: Slightly to the left of the belt buckle crossdraw (I'm right-handed so the gun is carried crossdraw on my left front) which actually is more to the front than to the side, canted just rightso you can get to it seated or standing.

As for "people snatching it from you"...lots of parrots say that but that's just plain ignorant and pretty funny, too: At least you'll probablySEE the guy coming at you from the front -- and you'll still have a snap/thumb-break or some other retension device he'll have to get through first...while you punch his lights out, cut him (I carry a knife, too) or worse.

Personally, I'd find it much easier to sneak upBEHIND someone to snatch his gun when he carries right hip as per usual. Around here, it's SO EASY to walk up behind people and they have no clue you're there.

But as usual, I am not trying to change anyone's mind here...carry however you want...this is just how I do it.

-- John D.

P.S. Now CONCEALED carry is different of course...I carry a small auto inan ankle holster...again good for a sitting position (like when I'm in a coffeeshop, etc.) and although it's "slow" getting to when standing, "slow" is relative: It sure is LIGHT YEARS faster than leaving it in the carand not having a gun on you at all; I'll take being "slow" any day of the week. ;)

-- JD

bspurs5

imported post

When driving a vehicle, do most of you, where it's legal to open carry, keep your weapon holstered? I figure there's no need to take it on and off when getting in and out of the vehicle, unless you were actually pulled over. Couldn't you just remain holstered inside the vehicle, and in the event that you were actually pulled over, just slip the gun out of the holster and lay it on the front seat so that it would not be concealed?

FogRider

imported post

I leave mine holsered, oc and cc (I have a chp), I carry on my right hip, and both my iwb and owb holsters have enough cant on them to sit straight up and allow me to draw. The closest I get to unholstering is when I draw halfway or so just to make sure it will not bind.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Does Virginia law have a special definition of "concealed" that makes an belt holster considered concealed in the car?

Does the law define what is not concealed? In CA, for example, the law expressly states that a firearm carryed openly in a belt holster is not considered concealed.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Virginia's law allows that with a concealed handgun permit (CHP) you may conceal anywhere on your person or in vehicle etc. Open carry on the other hand is a different ballgame as the weapon must be visible and easily identifiable as a gun. Some people place them on their console or on their seat when involved in a traffic stop. Others simply notify the officer as soon as practical that they have a handgun on their right hip. Open carry does not require that you always have your armed hip turned towards the other person. :)-)

I open carry with a CHP so I'm covered either way.

Yata hey

VAopencarry

imported post

I think he is talking about Virgina law about having to conceal inside a vehicle.

Kingfish, can you cite a reference for this statement? I'll save you the trouble, you can't because NO SUCH LAW EXIST!!!! Please refrain from making stuff up.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

VAopencarry wrote:

Kingfish, can you cite a reference for this statement? I'll save you the trouble, you can't because NO SUCH LAW EXIST!!!! Please refrain from making stuff up.
We know that there is no such law. Misinformation is the perversion of truth.

Yata hey

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

I remove my piece from its holster when getting into my car or truck, partly because of the comfort with my seatbelt and introducing less or no injury to my vehicles (most important). But also because I have quicker access to it should I need it when it is in its "riding" place as opposed to my holster. I do this when in my car so as not to scare anyone or risk an ND.

Tomahawk

imported post

I don't much like the seatbelt buckle clacking up against the side of my pistol, but it's not much of a problem. I'd rather live with that than to keep handling it every time I get in or out.

I don't like keeping the pistol on the seat, center console, or dash because in the event I have to stop quick I don't want it to go for a ride somewhere. I especially don't like the dash, becuase if it falls down behind the windshield I have to stop the truck and climb up there to reach it, and I also don't want people in traffic to see it. And if somebody's sitting in the passenger seat, they don't much care for having the muzzle pointing across at them as it lays on the center of the bench seat, either.

I need to find a way to install a cheap holster to the cupholders so the pistol can be carried in the truck muzzle-down and secure, while being visible, if I'm going to do it right.

But for now I don't see a need to bother.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

The problem is solved in my truck - a Dodge Ram. I simple push the barrel and cylinder of my BUG (a model 60 Smith) between the driver's seat and the center seat section. It sits up straight or racked, right where my hand naturally falls - extremely convenient and fast, never have to look for it or twist my body around. That leaves my holstered sidearm in its proper place. When I depart my vehicle, the mod. 60 is left in a special place yet to be detected even when friends where given the freedom to look for it.

PM me if you have a Dodge Ram and I will share with you.

Yata hey