• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Entering/Exiting your Vehicle

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

In my car there are two cup holders in my console. I use the rear one for my cell phone, since my car and phone are BlueTooth compatible, and my forward cup holder for my carry piece. Works real nice. My Ford Ranger pickup is a different story.

As for my car, I want to protect the seat belt latch and my leather seats from the gun and/or the holster. That and having the gun handy should its services be required are why I remove it from the holster. When doing this, you can bet I do it carefully and with my full attention.

A round from a 9mm or a .40S&W inside a closed car cabin would have to be something to avoid except in extreme cases.

Kingfish

imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
I think he is talking about Virgina law about having to conceal inside a vehicle.

Kingfish, can you cite a reference for this statement? I'll save you the trouble, you can't because NO SUCH LAW EXIST!!!! Please refrain from making stuff up.

No I cannot. Mainly because from his wording I assumed he needed to conceal in the vehicle or he would not have asked the question the way he did. I didn't know what he was talking about and was trying to clarify. That is why I said "If that is the case...."

VA, you wanna give me a break and chill a little?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

kingfish wrote:
VAopencarry wrote:
I think he is talking about Virgina law about having to conceal inside a vehicle.

Kingfish, can you cite a reference for this statement? I'll save you the trouble, you can't because NO SUCH LAW EXIST!!!! Please refrain from making stuff up.

No I cannot. Mainly because from his wording I assumed he needed to conceal in the vehicle or he would not have asked the question the way he did. I didn't know what he was talking about and was trying to clarify. That is why I said "If that is the case...."

Do you mean to say that you do not know the open carry and concealed carry laws of all 50 states verbatum? humor

In Virginia with a concealed handgun permit (CHP), you may conceal your handgun basically anywhere you want: in your pocket, in your purse, in the glove box, inside waistband holster et cetera. Open carry (OC), which does not require a CHP, must be visible to common observation and easily recognizable as to what it is. So you see the are some interesting problems with OCing in a vehicle unless you have a CHP. Clear? :shock: Oh well, that's part of the reason some of us post here - to clear up the muddy waters.

Sometimes we hear so much misinformation, that it almost chokes us and we do get a little snippy from time to time. Hope we did not draw blood and that you heal quickly 'cause you are on the good side too. :lol:

Yata hey

Kingfish

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
kingfish wrote:
VAopencarry wrote:

Do you mean to say that you do not know the open carry and concealed carry laws of all 50 states verbatum? humor

In Virginia with a concealed handgun permit (CHP), you may conceal your handgun basically anywhere you want: in your pocket, in your purse, in the glove box, inside waistband holster et cetera. Open carry (OC), which does not require a CHP, must be visible to common observation and easily recognizable as to what it is. So you see the are some interesting problems with OCing in a vehicle unless you have a CHP. Clear? :shock: Oh well, that's part of the reason some of us post here - to clear up the muddy waters.

Sometimes we hear so much misinformation, that it almost chokes us and we do get a little snippy from time to time. Hope we did not draw blood and that you heal quickly 'cause you are on the good side too. :lol:

Yata hey
I see. He was asking how to NOT conceal, not how to conceal. That changes things a bit.

xmirage2kx

imported post

If you don’t mind a little tape or drilling it’s pretty easy to make a "car" holster that will OC your gun or CC it (depending on where you place it). On most vehicles a modified fobus holster works wonders when mounted under your dash (near the radio) though you might need a left handed holster depending on the vehicle. This would be a good CC location. A good OC location is up by the visor, or modified to fit a cup holder.

Legba

imported post

I have a gun case that I leave in my vehicle. As I'm entering the car (before sitting down), I unholster the gun, rack the chambered round out, reinsert it into the magazine, put the gun in the case and throw the mag in the glove box. When I exit, I uncase the gun, insert the mag and rack a round as I am getting out of the car. I stand with the door open and do this leaning over my seat and not out in the open so as to avoid "brandishing" problems. No trouble to date. Anway, that's what I do.

-ljp

xmirage2kx

imported post

Legba wrote:
I have a gun case that I leave in my vehicle. As I'm entering the car (before sitting down), I unholster the gun, rack the chambered round out, reinsert it into the magazine, put the gun in the case and throw the mag in the glove box. When I exit, I uncase the gun, insert the mag and rack a round as I am getting out of the car. I stand with the door open and do this leaning over my seat and not out in the open so as to avoid "brandishing" problems. No trouble to date. Anway, that's what I do.

-ljp

These car rules are just stupid. I know I would be much more likely to freak out when I see some guy loading his gun and chambering a round as he gets out of his car, only to proceed to hide his gun as he CC's into work. :banghead:

Legba

imported post

Well, I only have to go through this song and dance because I don't have a permit - I can't legally CC at all except at work and/or home. As I understand the law, I can have the unloaded gun on my lap with the action open, and a full magazine in my hand and legally travel thus. The fine print of (current) Ohio law does not prohibit this, however the cops feel about it. I submit that all this handling/loading/unloading is less safe and more alarming to passers-by, but I have to put up with it or get a permit to be compliant. Kind of arbitrary, I think.

-ljp

xmirage2kx

imported post

One of these days the United States of America will no longer be united and then it will be those with gun VS those without.

Mainsail

imported post

Legba wrote:
I have a gun case that I leave in my vehicle. As I'm entering the car (before sitting down), I unholster the gun, rack the chambered round out, reinsert it into the magazine, put the gun in the case and throw the mag in the glove box. When I exit, I uncase the gun, insert the mag and rack a round as I am getting out of the car. Anway, that's what I do.

-ljp
I’d be concerned about bullet set-back with all that loading and unloading. Can you say BOOM!!!? Very dangerous from what I understand. If I lived in a state where I had to keep taking my gun off and on, I’d simply leave it loaded inside the holster and lock it up that way.

Under no circumstance would I leave a loaded gun on a seat, dash, or in the cup-holder while driving around. Most serious ham radio operators won’t use magnetic mount antennas because of the way they become a deadly missile in a car accident (plus they don’t provide a good ground anyway).

Legba

imported post

Well, that's the problem - I can't legally transport a loaded gun since I don't have a carry permit (fine print of Ohio law). Also, guilty as charged about the ham with a mag-mount antenna. Oops...

-ljp

Mainsail

imported post

Legba wrote:
Well, that's the problem - I can't legally transport a loaded gun since I don't have a carry permit (fine print of Ohio law). Also, guilty as charged about the ham with a mag-mount antenna. Oops...

-ljp

LOL! Well, you can get the permit and make your life easier.

And watch out for the set-back thing.

dave1289

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
Most serious ham radio operators won’t use magnetic mount antennas because of the way they become a deadly missile in a car accident (plus they don’t provide a good ground anyway).

I don't know about the missile part. A few months ago I got hit head-on by a Peterbuilt on one of these country roads around here. He was going about 40 and I was going 30mph. It totaled my car but, I'll be damned if that little Larson 5/8wave wasn't still sitting straight up on the trunk of my car.:D

Nice to see that there some other hams on this site.

-Dave, KD5ZER