Thread: Tried plate shooting for the first time last night.

Post imported post

So, every Wednesday night at 7pm Wade's has a double-elimination plate shooting contest. I went down, at the prodding of a friend, for my first go at it last night. Holy hell is it hard! I guess, in my head, I had visions of plates the size of gongs at 10 paces. I was in for a rude awakening. The plates are apparently much smaller and much further than your eyes would first lead you to believe. Since it was my first time I did three practice runs before my timed runs. My practice runs went very well. My timed runs went so-so. My competition rounds went abysmally. During one of my timed runs I shot a full 6 shots at a single plate without downing it. <sigh> I think there may have been some magnets involved.

Anyway, long story short, I was the slowest of the group, and the first person knocked out of the tournament. Despite that, I had a really good time and met some nice guys who were more than happy to chew the fat and offer up advice. I don't know if I can realistically afford to go every week, but I would definitely like to get down there more often. Plus, I've got a borrowed P7 that I'm just itching to try out, and I have a feeling it would make a great plate shooting gun.

Anyone else ever tried this? I know that the Glock Sport Shooting Foundation has their big plate shooting event coming up the weekend of Sept 8-9. I won't be going, since I don't have a Glock, but a friend of mine is a yearly competitor and has even won several guns there. Just an idea, if any of you are interested in that sort of thing.

Post imported post

I used to shoot steel plates when I was stationed in Germany a loooong time ago. Used many different calibers too. .45, 9mm, .32, .380. I don't recommend the .32 at all. My experience was that it sometimes would rock the plate but not knock it over. .45 is a bit much when you have to shoot fast and be accurate too.

Great fun though for anyone who likesto shoot.

CZ 75B 9mm, Ruger P94 .40 S&W, Bersa Thunder .380, AR-15 Homebuild

Post imported post

I read about it somewhere and have actually thought about doing it, just to do it. Nice post. I had heard from my neighbor that it was a lot tougher than he thought it would be. I believe he fared about the same as you.

Post imported post

Are there any other places that do that, that you may know of?

Post imported post

It looks like the Kitsap Rifle and Revolver Club is very close to you. They have something called "Fun Steel", which I can only assume is steel plate shooting. They also host the Glock Sport Shooting events (there's one taking place next month) and USPSA events.

http://www.gunsafety.org/shooting%20programs.htm

Post imported post

As far as I know, there is a plates match at Bullseye in Tacoma every wednesday.

Post imported post

wqbang wrote:
    As far as I know, there is a plates match at Bullseye in Tacoma every wednesday.
    Do you have to sign up? I have never done this so I wouldnt even know what to do.

Post imported post

USN_MA1 wrote:
    wqbang wrote:
    Do you have to sign up? I have never done this so I wouldnt even know what to do.
    It has been 3 years..... at that time, all you did was show up. Just give 'em a call.

http://www.bullseyeshooter.com/rangemain.htm

Post imported post

cool, thanks.