• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tried plate shooting for the first time last night.

Cue-Ball

imported post

So, every Wednesday night at 7pm Wade's has a double-elimination plate shooting contest. I went down, at the prodding of a friend, for my first go at it last night. Holy hell is it hard! I guess, in my head, I had visions of plates the size of gongs at 10 paces. I was in for a rude awakening. The plates are apparently much smaller and much further than your eyes would first lead you to believe. :) Since it was my first time I did three practice runs before my timed runs. My practice runs went very well. My timed runs went so-so. My competition rounds went abysmally. During one of my timed runs I shot a full 6 shots at a single plate without downing it. <sigh> I think there may have been some magnets involved. ;)

Anyway, long story short, I was the slowest of the group, and the first person knocked out of the tournament. Despite that, I had a really good time and met some nice guys who were more than happy to chew the fat and offer up advice. I don't know if I can realistically afford to go every week, but I would definitely like to get down there more often. Plus, I've got a borrowed P7 that I'm just itching to try out, and I have a feeling it would make a great plate shooting gun.

Anyone else ever tried this? I know that the Glock Sport Shooting Foundation has their big plate shooting event coming up the weekend of Sept 8-9. I won't be going, since I don't have a Glock, but a friend of mine is a yearly competitor and has even won several guns there. Just an idea, if any of you are interested in that sort of thing.

j2l3

imported post

I used to shoot steel plates when I was stationed in Germany a loooong time ago. Used many different calibers too. .45, 9mm, .32, .380. I don't recommend the .32 at all. My experience was that it sometimes would rock the plate but not knock it over. .45 is a bit much when you have to shoot fast and be accurate too.

Great fun though for anyone who likesto shoot.

xpun8

imported post

I read about it somewhere and have actually thought about doing it, just to do it. Nice post. I had heard from my neighbor that it was a lot tougher than he thought it would be. I believe he fared about the same as you.