• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

traveling to VA

SFCAdamsYG

imported post

hey everyone! I'm traveling to VA tomorrow and wondering if there's anything I should know about carry in VA I have a PA LTCF. I'm going to be in the Fredricksburg area. Are there any places off limits to carry? If i remembeer correctly I can CC as well with my LTCF. I would have posted earlier but I had VERY short notice. Any feedback will be MUCH appreciated.

~SFC

sccrref

imported post

PicExportError
No person shall carry a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in §4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board under Title 4.1 of the Code of Virginia, nothing herein shall prohibit any owner or event sponsor or his employees from carrying a concealed handgun while on duty at such restaurant or club if such person has a concealed handgun permit. NOTE: only concealed handguns are prohibited - openly carried handguns are allowed

PicExportError
Private property when prohibited by the owner of the property, or where posted as prohibited. Violation is a trespass charge and not a firearms violation

PicExportError
Carrying dangerous weapon to place of religious worship while a meeting for religious purposes is being held unless you have "good and sufficient reason." There is no known definition of what a good and sufficient reason would be. Violation is a minor crime, punishable by a fine of up to $100.

PicExportError
Courthouse. Violation is a high-level misdemeanor

PicExportError
School property/school functions unless gun is unloaded, in an enclosed container (but NOT in the glove box or console) and in the vehicle. A car's trunk is considered an enclosed container. However, a concealed handgun permit holder can have a loaded, concealed handgun in the vehicle while in the school parking lot, traffic circle, etc. The concealed handgun and the permit holder must stay in the vehicle. Firearms are not banned from property open to the public where a school function is being held unless that property is being used exclusively for the school function. Violation of this statute is a felony

PicExportError
Virginia Commonwealth University (8VAC90-10-50). Violation is a trespass charge

PicExportError
Non-secure areas of airport terminals are off limits unless you are a passenger and you have your gun unloaded, in a locked container in your checked luggage, and declare the gun at the check-in counter. Violation is a high-level misdemeanor.

While not law to notify a law enforcement officer, Virginia CCW permit holders have a note in VCIN (Virginia Criminal Check System), so the officer usually knows when walking up on a vehicle stop if a person is/can be legally armed.

In Virginia, one may carry a handgun in the open with no license. Loaded handguns on the seat or dashboard in plain view while in a vehicle are fine. Carrying concealed in places that serve alcohol is prohibited, even licensed, but open carry there is allowed.

A handgun can be openly carried in a car (must be in full view) without a permit. However, you don't have to be on a peaceable journey to do so. Virginia does NOT have any of those silly laws that say you can only have a gun in the car if you are going to a shooting range or a gun store or any other place.

Open Carry Specific Prohibitions Must be 18

State Parks (CCW Ok. Open Carry Not Allowed)