• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ted Nugent Goes Off On Obama And Hillary!

Tomahawk

imported post

The Rosie O of the NRA.

I want to agree with the guy some of the time, and other times I just wish he'd STFU and grow some class.

That said, it is kind of entertaining to watch, once you get past the being embarrassed part.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
The Rosie O of the NRA.

I want to agree with the guy some of the time, and other times I just wish he'd STFU and grow some class.

That said, it is kind of entertaining to watch, once you get past the being embarrassed part.

At first blush, I thought the Rosie O comparison was too much, considering how despicable she is as an anti-gun/rights entity. And how stupid, utterly stupid, she is.

Ted Nugent has always seemed to be a guy with some snap and a ton of commitment to gun rights, hunting, self-sufficiency,and patriotism. Sure, he is a hyper-gregarious lout but he said a lot of things I believed in. In researching this latest story a little bit, I came across some other stuff he says (about race) and of course there is the effect of his behavior onstage in the concert video that started off this thread. I think, overall, that he goofed badly. His language, his props, and his staging for a national audience will hurt gun rights for a) "assault rifles" (of which I own one), and b) gun rights in general.

Here is alink with a tersecritique of his actions and a segment of a Sean Hannity show last week. I have to agree that Hannity sounded like a fool in defending his "friend." You can view the video and decide for yourself.

http://www.newshounds.us/2007/08/24/hannity_pummeled_on_his_hypocrisy_over_ted_nugent.php

So, I like the Rosie O comparison but not "Rosie O of the NRA."

I think he is the Rosie O of gun owners/rights advocates (in general).

If I were on the NRA board, I'd vote for the Nuge's resignation immediately. He went wayyyyyy overboard. And I think he had an adverse impact on my gun rights.

What I haven't seen the press cover yet (and there really has been very little coverage of the Nugent/Obama/Clinton/Boxer video) is whether ole Nuge is in jeopardy of getting investigated or charged by the SS for threatening a couple of presidential candidates. I don't hear a specific verbal threat in Nugent's words, of cocurse. But could his overall presentation, including all the components, be construed as a "threat" under the applicable statute?

I don't know. But, in a way, I hope so. Because, otherwise, he's liable to do it again.

I think thatole Nuge should just shut up and sing. Would be better for all gun owners if he did that...

imperialism2024

imported post

From what I see, he isn't threatening anyone. I believe his is inviting certain politicians to engage in intercourse on his phallic Class III weapons. The video clip is also taken somewhat out of context...

And, while Ted Nugent's stage antics can be a bit... over-the-top, don't gun owners deserve someone to rally around? When all the other celebrities are going off about how guns are evil, in front of huge crowds of antis, it's a little difficult to get enthusiastic when the pinnicle of excitement for our cause is when a state's attorney general annouces a new reciprocity agreement in a press release.

Deacon Blues

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
And, while Ted Nugent's stage antics can be a bit... over-the-top, don't gun owners deserve someone to rally around? When all the other celebrities are going off about how guns are evil, in front of huge crowds of antis, it's a little difficult to get enthusiastic when the pinnicle of excitement for our cause is when a state's attorney general annouces a new reciprocity agreement in a press release.
I think it would do far more for our cause to denounce him outright. He does not need to be the spokesperson for the 2nd Amendment.

para_org

imported post

Deacon Blues wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:
I think it would do far more for our cause to denounce him outright. He does not need to be the spokesperson for the 2nd Amendment.
NO...please do NOT consider denouncing him. When 'we' do such a thing, 'we' allow anti-gunners' feelings to rule whom 'we' put forward or choose to associate with. <- And that would be a mistake of rather large proportions;

Better to ALSO place someone of like appeal and less "over-the-top" type antics *along side* of Ted. Afterall *WE* are all in this together and it is a mistake to pick and choose whom 'we' will associate with.

Or put another way, when we dismiss our like minded friends, when will we be best put to stop doing so ? When someone disagrees with me, or you ? Are the guns I keep more appropriate than yours ? Is the state you live in better than mine ? Etc...and ad nauseum until we all are left out and without our guns.

'I' simply will not allow the reactions of hoplophobes to Ted to be the reason why I dismiss him. <- It simply revards the wrong kind of behavior.

Deacon Blues

imported post

para_org wrote:
Or put another way, when we dismiss our like minded friends, when will we be best put to stop doing so ? When someone disagrees with me, or you ? Are the guns I keep more appropriate than yours ? Is the state you live in better than mine ? Etc...and ad nauseum until we all are left out and without our guns.
I think you misunderstand my position. Ted Nugent is not a like-minded friend. Fidel Castro may like the same pizza toppings that I do, but that does not make him like-minded, not to mention a friend. Dismissing my principles in order to gain an ally in another matter is not acceptable to me. I guess it all depends on what is more important to you. I would much rather be characterized as a polite, civilized, God-fearing, reasonable man than a tasteless, obscene, raving lunatic.

I don't care what state you live in, what guns you own, etc., but I do care about your character. Mr. Nugent, it seems, has none left.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Deacon Blues wrote:
I don't care what state you live in, what guns you own, etc., but I do care about your character. Mr. Nugent, it seems, has none left.

He would probably say you are lacking in a few qualitative traits as well for your kissing up to the enemy... so?

Burn him at the stake?

I think you've lost sight of who the enemy is and who is not.

class="text3"
"We must hang together, gentlemen...else, we shall most assuredly hang separately." ~Ben Franklin

Forty-five

imported post

It wouldn't be a Ted Nugent show if it wasn't over the top. People attending the show know that going in.I thoughtthat mostwould be able to understand that. People tend to get hung up too much on what others say or do.You can't always worry about offending this one and that one and the other, tip-toeing your way through life.While I may not agree with him on all issues, we are all in this together. I am for one am glad that Ted is on our side.

imperialism2024

imported post

Glad to see this topic is lively again...

But really, we need some enthusiasm for our cause. For decades, gun owners have sat around, being "polite, civilized, God-fearing, reasonable" men, and what has that accomplished? Widespread ignorance of firearms laws, no substantial legislative gains, and a reliance on legal loopholes and gray areas just to exercise our constitutional rights. What Ted brings is energy to the movement. He is invigorating passive gun owners to action againt the overwhelming pressure from the anti's to disarm America.

On another note regarding Ted, while he may not be the most passive gun-rights activist at his concerts, as it has been mentioned, he is there to entertain. However, he frequently appears in interviews as a very reasonable, very logical, and very well-spoken proponent of gun rights. And on top of that, not only does he promote the 2nd amendment merely in terms of how it relates to hunting, like the NRA, but he cares equally about ensuring the right to self defense via firearms, a branch of our cause that is often ignored by the powerful.

AbNo

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
Glad to see this topic is lively again...

But really, we need some enthusiasm for our cause. For decades, gun owners have sat around, being "polite, civilized, God-fearing, reasonable" men, and what has that accomplished? Widespread ignorance of firearms laws, no substantial legislative gains, and a reliance on legal loopholes and gray areas just to exercise our constitutional rights. What Ted brings is energy to the movement. He is invigorating passive gun owners to action againt the overwhelming pressure from the anti's to disarm America.

On another note regarding Ted, while he may not be the most passive gun-rights activist at his concerts, as it has been mentioned, he is there to entertain. However, he frequently appears in interviews as a very reasonable, very logical, and very well-spoken proponent of gun rights. And on top of that, not only does he promote the 2nd amendment merely in terms of how it relates to hunting, like the NRA, but he cares equally about ensuring the right to self defense via firearms, a branch of our cause that is often ignored by the powerful.

Very well put.

Deacon Blues

imported post

I'm really surprised by some of the responses I've read. I'm being accused of kissing up to the enemy (???), people are saying that it doesn't matter who represents us, and that we should abandon politeness and respectability in favor of whatever gets attention.

I should mention that I have never thought Ted Nugent was a good representative for our cause. This incident has not pushed me in either direction. I will agree that he speaks good sense in interviews; even my grandfather (whose picture is in the dictionary next to ultra-conservative) agrees. But if Ted wants to represent us, he's got to maintain some trace of dignity. I don't see any way that he can keep his stage persona and act as spokesman for our cause. If someone points to his stage antics and asks me, "is that what you're about?", I either say no or give, at length, a qualified yes. If I had children, I would be even more reluctant to let them think I approved of his behavior. With the exception of his pro-2A stance, Ted does not exemplify my values.

Frequently, I see people in this forum suggest that we OC in slacks and polo shirts in order to smooth out our collective image. I just don't see how we can be Dapper Dan and have Ted Nugent in our corner at the same time.

I never suggested that Mr. Nugent misrepesented himself. However, he most assuredly misrepresented some of us.

Forty-five wrote:
People tend to get hung up too much on what others say or do.
I'm sorry, but what else is there?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Deacon Blues wrote:
I never suggested that Mr. Nugent misrepesented himself. However, he most assuredly misrepresented some of us.

Forty-five wrote:
People tend to get hung up too much on what others say or do.
I'm sorry, but what else is there?

True. What else is there? What a person says and does is exactly what should be scrutinzed for validity, worth and over-the-top-ness.

Nugent, who I've always liked up to now, is an engaging 2A-advocating, hunting enthusiast, rock n rollmaniac. He is an interesting guy and is a lot of fun. But his performance for the national audience (not for his fans actually at his concert) with the guns and with the veiled-semi-almost-nudge-nudge-cutesy threats went wayyyy over the line. And he and we will pay a price for his antics, words and images that night.

Ted Nugent doesn't represent me nor is he good for my gun rights. Now, he's just a thug with a mike on stage with some ARs and really bad judgment.

I don't trust, or rely upon, anyone with both guns and really bad judgment. He's damaged goods now.