• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Which counties?

TBJ

imported post

Sorry if this is a Newbie question, but I have looked through the FAQ's and current threads and cannot see anything.

Is there any kind of list showing which California counties have ordinances prohibiting unloaded O.C. in unincorporated zones?

Living in unincorporatedL.A. County, I'd be amazed if it were allowed here, but how about in nearby Kern County, or Ventura?

Yes, I could read the mumicipal codes, but maybe someone has already collated all of that(?)

Or have I misunderstood, and unloaded O.C. is not illegal (almost) everywhere, but loaded O.C. is restricted?

On a related topic, I know the p.c. that says "a gun holstered on the belt is not considered concealed." However, many CCW holders do in fact conceal firearms in belt holsters by wearing a shirt or jacket over it, or even inside waistband. Does anyone have any practical experience where LEO's have claimed that they are breaching their CCW permit by exposing their gun, even though it can't really be seen?

John

NRA Certified Trainer, http://training.CaliforniaConcealedCarry.com

Webmaster at http://www.CaliforniaConcealedCarry.com

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Unloaded OC is legal anywhere you can 'possess' a firearm (which is almost anywhere). Just avoid any government buildings and 'school zones.' (School zones is the tough one, so I suggest you read CA PC 626.9

Sorry, I can't help you with specific info on your county. For general info, refer to the other threads; most the research has been done for you.

Keep in mind this web site doesn't offer legal advice. We're just amatuers trying to sort out the mess we call the Penal Code.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

TBJ wrote:
Is there any kind of list showing which California counties have ordinances prohibiting unloaded O.C. in unincorporated zones? No, not yet.
Or have I misunderstood, and unloaded O.C. is not illegal (almost) everywhere, but loaded O.C. is restricted? Technically, open carry is NOT restricted- There are no laws I'm aware of that prohibit open carry specifically. What IS restricted by statute is carry of a loaded weapon in public (pc12031)and the carry of any weapons within a school zone w/out a license(626.9). And as you well know, its not lawful to conceal a firearm without a license.

On a related topic, I know the p.c. that says "a gun holstered on the belt is not considered concealed." However, many CCW holders do in fact conceal firearms in belt holsters by wearing a shirt or jacket over it, or even inside waistband. Does anyone have any practical experience where LEO's have claimed that they are breaching their CCW permit by exposing their gun, even though it can't really be seen? Hmmm, you dont know how close you are to an answer. I will have to get back to you after I get an appointment to speak to the sheriff.

TBJ

imported post

Thank you both for the input.

Interesting. And I would be interested in that answer when you get to know about whether a belt hostered gun satisfies concealment requirements, even thouth it isn't considered concealed.

John

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

TBJ wrote:
Thank you both for the input.

Interesting. And I would be interested in that answer when you get to know about whether a belt hostered gun satisfies concealment requirements, even thouth it isn't considered concealed.

John

The language of the law is a little sloppy sometimes.

Itis possible to conceal a firearm in a belt holster by simply covering it, despite pc12025 (f) flatly declaring'not concealed'. On the flip side,I have found no statutory duty for anyone, a licensee included,to conceal their sidearm- (unless perhaps, an issuing agency makes it a restriction on the licence to carry (pc12050 (b)). Itis theaddition of'restrictions' on licenses and the regulation oflicenseeslawful behavior I will be seeking answers for.