• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Witnesses ignored cries for help as woman was sexually assaulted in hallway

What would you have done in this situation?

• Directly stopped the guy from harming the lady

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Would have stayed in my apartment but called the police

• Would have not gotten involved

• Total voters

compmanio365

imported post

From KOMO 4 in Seattle:
ST. PAUL (AP) - A security video from an apartment hallway shows at least 10 witnesses ignored a woman's cries for help for more than an hour as a man beat and sexually assaulted her, prosecutors said Thursday.

Police said they responded to a call of drunken behavior, where they found Rage Ibrahim, 26, and a woman lying unconscious in the hallway early Tuesday. The woman's clothing had been pulled up, she had fresh scratches on her face and blood on her thigh, according to the criminal complaint.

Ibrahim says he is innocent and that the incident was a misunderstanding, according to Omar Jamal, the executive director of the Somali Justice Advocacy Center who spoke on Ibrahim's behalf.

Police spokesman Tom Walsh said the surveillance video clearly showed men and women looking out their apartment doors or starting to walk down the hallway before retreating as the woman was assaulted for nearly 90 minutes.

"It shows one person looking out of her door probably three times," Walsh said. "It shows another person walking up, observing what's going on, then turning and putting up the hood of his sweatshirt."

At one point, the 26-year-old woman knocked on a door, yelling for the occupants to call police. A man inside that apartment told police he didn't open the door or look out, but said he did call police - although they have no record of his call, according to court documents.

Police identified the attacker on the video as Ibrahim, 25, who was charged with several counts of first-degree criminal sexual conduct, prosecutors said.

Ibrahim told police he did not assault the woman, saying if he wanted to do so he would have done it in the apartment, according to the criminal complaint.

The woman had been visiting the apartment of a friend, where she met Ibrahim. After drinking for several hours, she told police Ibrahim tried to stop her from leaving, and began to assault her, according to the report.

Walsh said police were shocked by the behavior of the bystanders.

"If you're not comfortable, if you don't feel capable of intervening, that's fine," Walsh said. "But not calling is not understandable."

Minnesota has a Good Samaritan law that makes it a petty misdemeanor not to give reasonable help to a person in danger of "grave physical harm."

Walsh said it's unlikely police would pursue charges against witnesses in this case because the burden of proof is so high - authorities would have to show that witnesses knew the woman was in extreme danger.

Jamal said Ibrahim went into the hallway after the woman because he thought she was too drunk to drive. They struggled over car keys, and "he is saying there was a huge misunderstanding," Jamal said, adding that the police report does not show "the truth of what happened that night."

"He did not rape her," Jamal said.
This is the mindset of people in these neighborhoods.......they are so afraid of "getting involved in someone's business" that even if someone is dying they will simply look the other way so they are not hassled with the burden of dealing with talking with police, possible retribution, etc. I'm sorry, but if someone was screaming outside in my hallway for 90 minutes that guy would have been under arrest long before then........

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Not exactly a Kitty Genovese case...

...but the minimum anyone should do is make the 911 call.

It's hard to tell for sure from the reporting but it sounds like two drunks wrestling in some hallway of a dive apartment house. (Were they both unconscious when the cops arrived?)

I would immediately call 911 to report it. Then make sure that the (drunk?) guy wasn't hurting the drunk woman. The story indicates that the guy was unarmed, so not much reason to do anything other than challenge him verbally and tell him to stop. If was hurting her, then I'd do something. Probably just go kick him in the balls or something. Nothing serious.

I can't conceive of the need to pull afirearm for a case like this. That would be unnecessary and probably silly.

Sounds like two drunks in the hallway of a dive apartment house. My hunch is that it is a regular occurence. Just a guess...

compmanio365

imported post

Haha! "Sir, do you have a license to be wearing those steel toed boots? No? Well, I'm going to have to fine you for this....." :quirky

Sounds like the guy was feeling up the woman while he was beating her.....needs a steel toe to the genitalia if you ask me........

Tomahawk

imported post

I think that perhaps we need a monthly requirement to demonstrate ball-kicking competence before we just let Hank walk around willy-nilly with his boots on. Who wouldn't support something so reasonable?

Sitrep

imported post

:?Ok, I'm a little confused here. So, he was assaulting/raping her for 90 minutes? After that they both fell asleep? And all of this taking place in a hallway? I get the feeling that more than alcohol was involved here. :?

:?The whole situation doesn't make sense to me. How can it take 90 minutes to assault someone? It really should only take less than 1 minute for him to either knock her out or for her to get away. :?

:?Regardless of all that, I find it hard to believe that she would have shouted "call the police," and no one would even do that. Excet the guy who claims he did.:?

Sage of Seattle

imported post

I'm not the kind of person who would stand by and do nothing. Calling the police would be a high priority.

As for personal physical violence (ref: the Swift Testicle Crush of Justice mentioned above), I have a cruddy replica Civil War cavalry saber which may have helped redirect his inebriated attention off of the woman. I've got a cruddy katana too, but those are getting so much bad press these days...

tapper95

imported post

That article makes it sound very one sided until the last paragraph...

"Jamal said Ibrahim went into the hallway after the woman because he thought she was too drunk to drive. They struggled over car keys, and "he is saying there was a huge misunderstanding," Jamal said, adding that the police report does not show "the truth of what happened that night."

There is a video, so that should be all that's needed to sort this out... It is more a statement of how people in some areas don't trust the police... If you looked out your door and aman and a woman are arguing about whether one of them should be driving or not, even if it is a little hands on (emphasis on little), what are you going to do? If my neighbors are raising Cain, but nobody is really in imediate danger, just call in the professional referees and let them sort it out... That way, also, in an apartment setting like this, there is a record and maybe that will lead to the noisy neighbors getting evicted and life can go on peaceful-like in the slums...

Brigdh

imported post

I think this a classic case of the "bystander effect" (socology/psychology). Basically, everyone thought that someone else had called 911/would do something, thus they didn't feel responsible. The more people around, the less each one feels responsible to do something.

Unfortunatally this is sick. Although I am not for some sort of law mandating it, allmost if not all of those people should have atleast called 911 or done something else to help.

Lew

imported post

Bleh. Makes me feel ill. I'd be inhuman to ignore a woman screaming for 90 minutes. Anyone who just stands by and does nothing, well they're rotten filth in my book.

Legba

imported post

I don't know - if there was some history of drunken spectacle-making by these two, and considering how long it went on, I might have tuned out and not even called it in, at least in the absence of screaming, say. I've had PITA drama-loving neighbors like that and calling the cops often escalates things. What I'd dodepends on the particulars of the situation, which are not adequately described here to definitively say what ought to have happened, IMO.

-ljp