• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First OC experience today

bspurs5

imported post

I went out today for my first OC experience around town in Harrisonburg. Had no problems at an Exxon on 42; the clerks noticed but made no comment. Then at F & K Auto parts, the man working there was very respectful. I expected as a 23 year old to get rolling eyes and suspicion, but so far so good!

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

It is freaky at first. I have just entered this arena within the past 6 weeks and I still am quite discriminating about where and when I OC. It does take some getting use to.

On the positive side, thank God for Virginia. Even the northern region of the state is hugely acceptable of OC'ing. Amazing. I have had no bad experiences to date.

SouthernBoy

imported post

vrwmiller wrote:
Congrats! Welcome to the club! :celebrate

Hey there. Is it my imagination or does it seem that Manassas has become the restaurant home of western Prince William County?

Mind you, I am a native to this area.. born and raised. So I've seen Manassas grow from a once sleepy little town on the eastern edge of an historic battlefield to a thriving and prosperous town unto itself. The wife and I left God-foresaken Arlington in 1998 after 24 years, and had a home built in western Prince William County.. which really feels so much more like "home" than the house we had in Arlington. And to us, "going to town" means going to Manassas.. which we both are quite fond of.

Yep, Manassas has left its roots far behind. Some nice little places to eat. Where have you found good and interesting fair?

SouthernBoy

imported post

bspurs5 wrote:
I went out today for my first OC experience around town in Harrisonburg. Had no problems at an Exxon on 42; the clerks noticed but made no comment. Then at F & K Auto parts, the man working there was very respectful. I expected as a 23 year old to get rolling eyes and suspicion, but so far so good!

Oh, sorry.. how rude of me. Congrats on your OC outting. You'll find a lot more soon enough.

vrwmiller

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
vrwmiller wrote:

Hey there. Is it my imagination or does it seem that Manassas has become the restaurant home of western Prince William County?

Mind you, I am a native to this area.. born and raised. So I've seen Manassas grow from a once sleepy little town on the eastern edge of an historic battlefield to a thriving and prosperous town unto itself. The wife and I left God-foresaken Arlington in 1998 after 24 years, and had a home built in western Prince William County.. which really feels so much more like "home" than the house we had in Arlington. And to us, "going to town" means going to Manassas.. which we both are quite fond of.

Yep, Manassas has left its roots far behind. Some nice little places to eat. Where have you found good and interesting fair?
Sorry for the thread highjack....

Manassas has become a restaraunt home in Western PWC. Lots of places to eat.

I am not a native in the sense I was born and raised here, but I've lived here since the single digits some 23 or 24 years ago. I came here from South Carolina. I am quite fond of southern living and the southern culture and way of life.

Manassas has changed quite a bit since the early 80s.

SouthernBoy

imported post

vrwmiller wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
vrwmiller wrote:

I am not a native in the sense I was born and raised here, but I've lived here since the single digits some 23 or 24 years ago. I came here from South Carolina. I am quite fond of southern living and the southern culture and way of life.

You left South Carolina to come up here? We are planning to move to South Carolina in the future.. we both love that state. I am a die-hard Southerner and love the Southern way of live and living. We actually used to have that up here many years ago, but what with the area being so transient and the tide of people coming in from all over, our Southern ways have been pushed aside.

What part of South Carolina do you hail from?

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
Even the northern region of the state is hugely acceptable of OC'ing. Amazing.
Actually, the earliest battles over OC were fought in and around Manassas, so NoVa has become pretty well acculturated to the practice in the last 3 years or so. Most of us in Tidewater have had few problems, but there have been some very notable exceptions. With VCDL's help, I think we will soon be putting an end to that.

vrwmiller

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:

You left South Carolina to come up here? We are planning to move to South Carolina in the future.. we both love that state. I am a die-hard Southerner and love the Southern way of live and living. We actually used to have that up here many years ago, but what with the area being so transient and the tide of people coming in from all over, our Southern ways have been pushed aside.

What part of South Carolina do you hail from?
Yeah, I left South Carolina to come here. It wasn't my choice, my father got a job up here and therefore, we were north bound. If I had had my druthers, we would have remained in South Carolina. Had we stayed there though, I wouldn't have the wonderful family I have now.

I am actually looking to move back south sometime, though not sure when. I have been leaning towards deep southern VA or North Carolina.

We moved up here from the Charleston area. Lived there from '77 - '84.

vrwmiller

imported post

Forty-five wrote:
My wife is from South Carolina. People there are really friendly. No OC though.
That is one of the big reasons why I've chosen not to go back to SC. It gets hot there during the Summer. There's no way I am going to conceal when it's nearly 100 out.

Forty-five

imported post

vrwmiller wrote:
Forty-five wrote:
That is one of the big reasons why I've chosen not to go back to SC. It gets hot there during the Summer. There's no way I am going to conceal when it's nearly 100 out.
I know what you mean. And since they don't recognize VA, I can't even CC when visiting.:cry:

Ghettokracker71

imported post

Welcome! Awsome to see another young'n carrying. I'm 21 myself,and I normally get odd looks anyway, (I have many visible peircings. As well as rather extensive tattooing.) so its nothing new to me.

AbNo

imported post

Good to see someone else in the area!

Never been to F&K, but I've yet to have a problem from the Autozone or the 7-11 downtown, or the Sheetz over by Costco, but I'm pretty well known those places. :D

If you're looking for people to shoot targets or the {poop} with, send a PM my way!

unrequited

imported post

Forty-five wrote:
vrwmiller wrote:
Forty-five wrote:
That is one of the big reasons why I've chosen not to go back to SC.  It gets hot there during the Summer.  There's no way I am going to conceal when it's nearly 100 out.
I know what you mean. And since they don't recognize VA, I can't even CC when visiting.:cry:
They do however allow glove box carry... so when driving through you can still have it available. My drive down to Orlando was a-okay because the gun never left my holster or glove box depending where on i-95 I was.