• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

H.R. 5013

GreatWhiteLlama

imported post

Thank you for responding to my request for information.

As far as H.R. 5013 is concerned; isn’t that already covered by the Second Amendment?

Thank you,

[align=center][size=][/align] From: Congressman Jay Inslee [mailto:Jay.Inslee@mail.house.gov]
Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2007 6:25 AM
To: anythingit@msn.com
Subject: From Congressman Jay Inslee

[size=]
[size=

August 23, 2007

Thank you for your letter regarding gun safety. I appreciate hearing from you.

I believe that Members of Congress must keep the lines of communication open between themselves and constituents. My most important duty as your Representative is to listen to your concerns and ideas and represent your views, to the best of my abilities, in Congress.

As the 110th Congress addresses gun safety issues, I would like you to know that I believe that law-abiding adults and non felons, should have the ability to own firearms for hunting, target shooting, recreational purposes, and self-protection. My goals during future gun safety debates will be to preserve our Second Amendment rights while keeping firearms out of the hands of criminals and untrained children.

You may also be interested to know that during the 109th Congress I voted for the Disaster Recovery Personal Protection Act of 2006 (H.R. 5013). This bill would have prohibited the confiscation of legally possessed firearms during a national emergency in areas where such arms are permitted. However, H.R. 5013 was not considered by the Senate before the 109th Congress adjourned and, therefore, was not enacted into law.

Furthermore, I believe that we must also have both strong penalties for criminals and preventative programs that reduce future crimes. Accordingly, I have voted to deter crime with stiff penalties for drug dealers, murderers, and rapists, as well as voting for preventative programs to help keep kids away from a life of crime. While in Congress, I voted for "Three Strikes, and You're Out" for repeat offenders and measures to expand the death penalty.

Please continue to contact me about the issues that concern you, as I both need and welcome your thoughts and ideas. As a service to my constituents, I maintain a website which contains valuable resources and information on Congressional activities. Please feel free to visit the website at [url=http://www.house.gov/inslee]http://www.house.gov/inslee[/url] for information on recent issues and to learn more about the services my office provides.

I encourage you to contact me via email, telephone, or fax, because security measures are causing House offices to experience delays in receiving postal mail. My email address is: Jay.Inslee@mail.house.gov. Please be sure to include your full name and address, including your zip code, in your message.

Very truly yours,

JAY INSLEE
Member of Congress

JRI/db

Confirmation# 2468745

DISCLAIMER
I cannot guarantee the integrity of the text of this letter if it was not sent to you directly from my Congressional Email Account: Jay.Inslee@mail.house.gov. If you have any questions about the validity of this message, please email me at: Jay.Inslee@mail.house.gov or call my Washington, DC office at: 202-225-6311. If you would like to be removed from my email update list, please email me your name and address at: Jay.Inslee@mail.house.gov and type "REMOVE" in the subject line.
****************************************************************]

just_a_car

imported post

T-RaV wrote:
True, but if they do, I don't invision them following any others...
I hear you there... one of my worst fears is having to protect myself and my own from those that we'd normally call the "good guys".

amlevin

imported post

One need not worry about me in the event of a "National Emergency". My personal survival plan calls for me (and my essential guns) to be nowhere around those that would be interested in confiscating them. As to where I'll be? Let's just say I'll have a lot of room and damn few liberals around me.

just_a_car

imported post

amlevin wrote:
One need not worry about me in the event of a "National Emergency". My personal survival plan calls for me (and my essential guns) to be nowhere around those that would be interested in confiscating them. As to where I'll be? Let's just say I'll have a lot of room and damn few liberals around me.
I'm in W. WA state.... unless I go east of the mountains, I can't go 50 feet without encountering a liberal. :p

GreatWhiteLlama

imported post

I don't think the problems facing us today can be as simplistic as, "gun grabbing libs" and "radical right".

We've lost more freedoms and personal liberties at the hands of this administration, "Neo Cons", than from ANY prior administration, GOP or Democratic alike.

And when we read this reply from Mr. Inslee, (Democrat) we see that he is one of the good guys trying to insure we do retain or freedoms.

I'm sure the rest of you shudder as much as I at the thought of what it would be like if an extremist Authoritarian like Giuliani (Republican) became President.

We must be more dynamic in our planning as well as our thinking if we want to bring this Country back to its former glory.

44Brent

imported post

T-RaV wrote:
And when we read this reply from Mr. Inslee, (Democrat) we see that he is one of the good guys trying to insure we do retain or freedoms.

Oh really? Let's take a second look at Congressman Inslee's voting record and public statements:

• "Rated F by the NRA, indicating a pro-gun control voting record. (Dec 2003)"
    http://www.ontheissues.org/House/Jay_Inslee.htm

• Gun Owners of America has provided Congressman Inslee a grade of "D-" for his voting record.
    http://www.gunowners.org/news/n042502.pdf
  • In Congressman Inslee'sown words he states the following:

Congress should enact legislation that requires trigger locks included standard on every handgun purchased.

We must do more to keep guns from being acquired by criminals. A key step toward doing this is to close the gun show loophole. There are anywhere from 2,000 to 5,000 gun shows in America every year. The gun show loophole allows anyone, including felons, to buy all the guns they want from local gun shows.

Semi-automatic weapons that can rapid-fire high volumes of ammunition were initially designed and manufactured for military use. There is virtually no need for citizen gun owners to have the ability to fire large volumes of ammunition without the burden of reloading. These weapons are being used by criminals against the police officers that struggle every day to keep our streets safe. In addition to keeping all guns from being purchased by felons, we must continue our efforts to make these ultra-dangerous weapons off of our streets. These assault weapons are not guns of leisure and self-protection. They are weapons of war and are being adopted in large numbers by the most violent members of our society. Since we first enacted the ban in 1994, there has been a 60% reduction in the crimes committed by these weapons. Congress must act to extend the Assault Weapons ban.

http://www.jayinslee.com/index.php?page=display&id=22

amlevin

imported post

Jay Inslee is considered a "Carpetbagger" by most. He flunked out when he lived in Eastern Washington so he moved to the west side to be closer to his liberal "buds".

Don't trust Jay on any position he states regarding guns. He has a tendency to say only what he thinks will get him what he wants----Votes.

GreatWhiteLlama

imported post

No, you guys are correct. As far as gun rights are concerned, he is the typical "some rights for some people" Democrat. I guess I've just come to expect that attitude from most politicians to one degree or another.

My opinion of him however comes from a much broader view, (technology issues specifically). For example he was a cosponsor of the Internet Radio Equality Act, has been a part of efforts to reform government and is for Net Neutrality.

He is by no means a Ron Paul, but until we get a few more libertarians running for office, we'll continue to select the lesser of many evils... :uhoh:

expvideo

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
Actually, this might be necessary, since during "Martial Law" they can suspend our Constitutional rights... unfortunately. :cuss:

But then again...

IMG00037.jpg

just_a_car

imported post

I'm with ya on that one Aaron, but if it's like New Orleans and it's me versus the National Gaurd... I'm gunna lose. Heck, I might be lucky and get one or two of them before they get me, but that's probably optimistic.

I would much rather they pass a law such that they don't get to that point. Yes, I realize the Second Amendment already says as much, but too many people ignore it already; they seem to think they need new laws to follow instead of just following the ones we already have.... go F'ing figure. :banghead:

expvideo

imported post

xpun8 wrote:
expvideo,
Nice phone and nice tat. You should have put it somewhere visible from the front, on the back it's like...nevermind.

Thanks, I'm pretty happy with it. I was going to put it on my forearm, but I don't want it holding me back from a career or anything. I just got the tattoo a week and a half ago. My fiancee likes it a lot, and I'm really happy with it too.

Geoff, I agree that it would be nice to have that law on the books, but I'm affraid that it wouldn't be listened to it any more than the constitution. I hope the day never comes that I am forced to fight my fellow Americans, but if that's what it takes to defend the constitution, it doesn't matter if it's a losing battle or not. I love my country, and nobody is going to come to my door and take my freedom at gunpoint. Anyone that does is an enemy of this country and will not find peaceon my doorstep.

I'll stop before I get carried away, suffice to say that the NOLA gun confiscations will never happen in my neighborhood if I have anything to sayabout it.