• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who is the moderator for this section of the forum?

Tomahawk

imported post

Unfortunately, the only really active moderator around here was BobCav, but he is currently preoccupied with real life (I hate when real life interferes with the internet...). I don't think I know John Pierce, but I do know that Mike S.leads a very busy life, of which OCDO is only a small part,so it currently seems as if the forums here are rudderless.

I have been a little concerned about this, as I have noticed a few minor flamewars flaring up lately, and more importantly, I notice that there are more opinions flying around and fewer citations of legal code and other sources of information when people ask questions.

This is supposed to be a no-BS zone, and the only way to keep it straight is to back up your posts with cites or get a penalty flag for not doing so. Fortunately, most of the folks here are even-keeled and reasonable so far, so it's not time to panic yet.

I do notice that I haven't seen much of Hawkflyer around, lately, and his is usually a steadying voice, kind of an "honorary moderator", you might say.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
I do notice that I haven't seen much of Hawkflyer around, lately, and his is usually a steadying voice, kind of an "honorary moderator", you might say.

You're right on two points. Hawkflyer does occasionally try to tone down some intemperate posters when they start to be disagreeable or off topic. And he hasn't been around for a while.

But he'll be back. He finds some satisfaction in posting here, I think.

The interesting thing about Hawkflyer, though, is how heflips over from the "honorary moderator" style toasomewhat more vicious attackstyle. He doesn't hesitate tocall people "complete idiots," "insane," or "unqualified to carry a gun." I guess that's when he disagrees strongly with them.That's apparently how he justifies his own intemperateness.

Why one time he told one poster here, "...you must have missed the reason the thread was started. Proper order of fire is read, research, think, write. You may have skipped a few steps in getting here." and "I am sorry if the attempt to expand your thinking was performed within a fixed volume container."

Kind of insulting,Hawkflyer was, I'd say. I'm sure you agree, Tomahawk, since he said those things about you.

Hawkwill be back, I'm sure. He finds some satisfaction in postingin both his "honorary moderator" style and in his attack style, I think.

Tomahawk

imported post

HankT wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:

You're right on two points. Hawkflyer does occasionally try to tone down some intemperate posters when they start to be disagreeable or off topic. And he hasn't been around for a while.

But he'll be back. He finds some satisfaction in posting here, I think.

The interesting thing about Hawkflyer, though, is how heflips over from the "honorary moderator" style toasomewhat more vicious attackstyle. He doesn't hesitate tocall people "complete idiots," "insane," or "unqualified to carry a gun." I guess that's when he disagrees strongly with them.That's apparently how he justifies his own intemperateness.

Why one time he told one poster here, "...you must have missed the reason the thread was started. Proper order of fire is read, research, think, write. You may have skipped a few steps in getting here." and "I am sorry if the attempt to expand your thinking was performed within a fixed volume container."

Kind of insulting,Hawkflyer was, I'd say. I'm sure you agree, Tomahawk, since he said those things about you.

Hawkwill be back, I'm sure. He finds some satisfaction in postingin both his "honorary moderator" style and in his attack style, I think.

You know, that was a looonnnng time ago, Hank. What sort of person keeps copies of stuff like that around or bothers to dig it up? Sometimes you make a good point, Hank, but on the whole I have to say you scare the crap out of me. You push buttons, and you catalogue everything everyone around here says. It's only a discussion forum, it's not like you're witnessing some important piece of history, here.

Since you brought up that old thread in which Hawkflyer attacked me, let me explain it to you: on the internet, sometimes people get a little too heated without realizing it. I didn't jump back on him because we were both new and it's not the way I do things. Aside from funnin' on you I don't insult you (much) either. After I met him and ate lunch with him a couple of times our impressions of each other changed and we now count each other as friends.

You've been invited to many get-togethers, ranging from simple lunches to activist events, and yet you consistently hide in anonymity and refuse to ever join us. If you ever did, you might rethink your motives for constantly hounding us.

Or not, who knows. I'm starting to think that maybe it's better you keep your distance. You have a lot of trust-building to do, my friend.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
You know, that was a looonnnng time ago, Hank. What sort of person keeps copies of stuff like that around or bothers to dig it up? Sometimes you make a good point, Hank, but on the whole I have to say you scare the crap out of me. You push buttons, and you catalogue everything everyone around here says. It's only a discussion forum, it's not like you're witnessing some important piece of history, here.

Have you ever heard of the Search feature on this forum, Tomahawk? It's a little box at the top of the screen. Do a search on order of fire. It's easy. It really is interesting that you think it is some big expenditure of energy or effort to remember a man's words. This is not cataloguing.It is just remembering what a man says. What a man says is a pretty decent criterion to judge what he means. And what he is.

If you get scared with a person who rermembers what you or another wrote, then you must be a riot at monster movies. Boo! :p

Tomahawk wrote:
Since you brought up that old thread in which Hawkflyer attacked me, let me explain it to you: on the internet, sometimes people get a little too heated without realizing it. I didn't jump back on him because we were both new and it's not the way I do things. Aside from funnin' on you I don't insult you (much) either. After I met him and ate lunch with him a couple of times our impressions of each other changed and we now count each other as friends.

Your recollection is a bit revisionist, Tomahawk. You had alreadybeen here for 5 or 6 months when that thread occurred. And the heatedness started whenyou decided to call Hawkflyer's poll thread "one of the dumbest things I have seen posted here."

Not a very welcoming comment for the at that time new guy, Hawkflyer.Why, I do think you had the purpose to insult Hawkflyer with that comment.

Or maybe you were justfunnin' him. :p

Whatever that, he responded--and not in a "honorary moderator" manner. He basically and stridentlly accused you of notreading and thinkingintelligently. Which is what my simple point above was--Hawkflyerfinds some satisfaction in postingin both his "honorary moderator" style and in his attack style, I think.

His posts about you and about me strongly support thatcontention. Hey, weren't you mentioning a "no-BS zone" with a need to cite backup for statements....?

Tomahawk wrote:
You've been invited to many get-togethers, ranging from simple lunches to activist events, and yet you consistently hide in anonymity and refuse to ever join us. If you ever did, you might rethink your motives for constantly hounding us.

What is this bit about my not attending these events? Do you expect me to leave my business, book a flight during the week on short notice, get a hotel room, and rent a car to go to a dinner in Virginia?????

Why? Because you are there and it's convenient for YOU?

Who else does that? Who else flies into Virginia for a lunch, a picnic, a walk or a Norfolk City Council meeting, Hawkf, Tomahawk?

Are you serious? :question: Is this some kind of litmus test for inclusion into the OCDO insiders group? Well, then, about 98% of the members of OCDO would fail the test.

You'll have to 'splain that one to me T-hawk.

Tomahawk wrote:
Or not, who knows. I'm starting to think that maybe it's better you keep your distance. You have a lot of trust-building to do, my friend.

First you invite, then you disinvite... oh, brother. Make up your mind, 'hawk.

Don't worry, Hawk will be back, 'hawk. Like the creature from the black lagoon, he'll be back. ;)

My guess is within 48 hours. :shock:

Hawkflyer will be back posting in both of his modes--"honorary moderater" and attack style. He gets satisfaction from doing both, I think. His words posted here strongly support that.

unrequited

imported post

HankT wrote:
What a man says is a pretty decent criterion to judge what he means. And what he is.

So true... I wonder what your words say about you? I think the general consensus is that you delight in others' dislike of you, or at the least, you enjoy upsetting others. *shrug*

Tomahawk

imported post

Okay, HankT, I guess you win. Hawkflyer is a mean man and based on your prattle I'm going to disavow my friendship with him. Right.

As for Virginia, I have no idea where you actually live or work, other than the conjecture aboutNJ that seems to float around here.

I've tried to talk to you as a fellow colleague, and for my troubles I get stuff like your last post shoved in my face. Back to ignoring you, I guess.

And back to wondering when this forum will get some moderating.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Okay, HankT, I guess you win. Hawkflyer is a mean man and based on your prattle I'm going to disavow my friendship with him. Right.
No one suggested that you "disavow [your]friendship with him." Straw man.

No one said Hawk was "mean." Just intemperate in his posts. To you, to me, to others. Hawkflyerfinds some satisfaction in postingin both his "honorary moderator" style and in his attack style, I think.

Tomahawk wrote:
As for Virginia, I have no idea where you actually live or work, other than the conjecture aboutNJ that seems to float around here.
Then why do you make such a big issue about my failure to attend Virginia events?

BTW, the weather in Lincrofthas been very rainy lately. (But New York weather has been HOT!)

Tomahawk wrote:
I've tried to talk to you as a fellow colleague, and for my troubles I get stuff like your last post shoved in my face. Back to ignoring you, I guess.

And back to wondering when this forum will get some moderating.

I think a fair reading of my prior post will show that your recollection of the cited thread was revisionist. And that you yourself occasionally precipitate the heated exchanges on this here Internet. (Why would anyone call a simple poll thread that someone composed and posted "one of the dumbest things I have seen posted here?")

Hawk'spoll thread was a standard type of post on this forum. The software is set up for that kind of post. The subject was germane and the thread sparked discussion about guns and carry. What was wrong with that?

In light of some of your posts and your acceptance of some of Hawkflyer's, I think that your desire for "moderation" is kind of suspect, Tomahawk. I think you may not really want to"moderate" your own posts but you may want to"control" the posts of others who say things you disagree with.

I think that for adults in discussion forums, moderation can be self-moderation. In fact, that's what it should be. If someone posts something youthink iswrong or inappropriate, you say so and make your case. See if others willl agree with you. Or send the person a PM. I'vedone both withHawkflyer. The only time I complained to management waswhen Hawkflyerposted about me:

It is increasingly clear that he is legally restricted from firearms ownership and/or carry. Either by adjudication or residence.

Hawk has continued to play the "unqualifed to carry" card about me--even though he has absolutely no evidence to support his slur. So much for Hawk protecting the RKBA. The fact is that I carry a gun legally almost every day.

Self-moderation also has the benefit of not bothering the owners/moderators with petty stuff. I mean, if I posta poll thread and unrequited disses it, calling it "useless conjecture" (hmmm, that kind of sounds like your dissing of Hawk's poll thread, doesn't it?), should I waste the time of theowners/mods to somehow get unrequited to stop saying that? I suppose I could just use an attack style like Hawkflyer's and start screaming "idiot," "insane" and "unqualified to carry a gun," etc. But that's not my style. That's Hawkflyer's style.

Be careful what you ask for, Tomahawk. If we get another moderator, youand Hawkflyer may not like whathe does to your posts...

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Blah, blah, BLAH !!

Lord have mercy. What do you do for a living, Hank, write scrips for "chick flicks"?

Let's save all the BS and the "then he said"s for group therapy or something.:banghead:

I have a novel idea: let's talk about OC !!!

LEO 229

imported post

TEX1N wrote:
Did someone ask if there was a moderator around?!? I can't remember with all of this unmoderated arguing going on! ;):lol::banghead:

There are times when people do post erroneous info and I step up to confront them. I attempt to get them to prove what they are saying or move along. Some stuff posted is obviously inappropriate and distasteful and need to be moderated.

I want new members reading stuff here to be aware that what was writtenby another member may, in fact, not be valid orcorrect.

I do not mind an opinion but when that opinion is based on a bias or hatred I cannot condone it. This simply cannot be tolerated and I would encourage other members here to make it know they do not appreciate it either.

There are times when I may be point blank with someone and I take off the gloves. I am a nice guy but I am not going to sit by while another member posts spiteful information done with malicious intent.

Normally, disagreements will come and go quickly. When this does not happen... I contact that person in a PM and attempt to negotiate some type of common ground or understanding.

We should be here to share helpful information. This is not the place to vent all your anger and then direct it against other member.

This forum needsa moderator!It is very active and members from other states are popping in for discussions because their forum is too slow.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Oop! Up jump de debbil!

Bias and hatred are Point Of View epithets. I am quite comfortable hating Anony 'LEO229' Mouse right up there next to Ron Horiuchi. (You do know who he is, a fellow 'officer' and not anonymous.)

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$

Tomahawk

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Oop! Up jump de debbil!

Bias and hatred are Point Of View epithets. I am quite comfortable hating Anony 'LEO229' Mouse right up there next to Ron Horiuchi. (You do know who he is, a fellow 'officer' and not anonymous.)

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$

Actually IIRC it was "Lon" not "Ron".

And I'm trying to figure out why you hate LEO229: because he is a cop or because he is anonymous. If the latter, you must hate an awful lot of us, here. You must also hate the founding fathers, who frequently published under pseudonyms in order to allow themselves the freedom to speak frankly.

If the former, well, you're entitled to your opinion, I suppose. I'm not a big fan of the existence of police departments, owing to my generally libertarianoutlook, but I see no reason to hate individuals just for belonging to such an organization. Nor does it help my cause to deny reality.

LEO229 and I do not share the same philosophical views, perhaps, but his actions and stated intentions are not those of the stereotypical anti-gun JBT, and he is willing to listen to us, which is all you can ask for starters. He started off not supporting OC, and now he's cool with it.

He didn't get that way because we called him names; he got that way because we reasoned with him man-to-man (and woman, occasionally. I'll let Citizen explain).

So don't be hatin'.

IanB

imported post

HankT wrote:
The fact is that I carry a gun legally almost every day.
It's legal to carry a gun inside your own home in "Lincroft" Joisey, right?

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

You are correct, I mis-remembered. But, are we to love das Sturmtruppen, 'just following orders?'

I will not, believing that to love one must also hate. Love without hate is 'agape' and anile (means old-womanish for the illiberal). Imagine, loving Go d but d' Evil ... what, just doesn't exist?

Lickspittle comes to mind. See the discussion at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lickspittle

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

unrequited wrote:
HankT wrote:
The fact is that I carry a gun legally almost every day.
0_o
0o-28758.jpg

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

OK, everyone fight nice!

(There, do you FEEL moderated now? lol...)

Still OC'ing every chance I get. OC'ed today at Springfield Mall, right past security, BTW. He was too busy hitting on the girl in the jewelry store to pay me much mind.

Yep, my homebiz is a full-time second job and I'm on it from the time I get home until 12-1 AM (completely by choice). My future's so bright I gotta wear shades!