• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ORC - 2921.45 Interfering with civil rights.

freedom1776

imported post

I was browsing the Ohio Revised Code tonight and found this...

2921.45 Interfering with civil rights.

(A) No public servant, under color of his office, employment, or authority, shall knowingly deprive, or conspire or attempt to deprive any person of a constitutional or statutory right.

(B) Whoever violates this section is guilty of interfering with civil rights, a misdemeanor of the first degree.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2921.45

What do you think of it?

reefteach

imported post

I think I just printed it and will keep it with me!

Zfor your efforts here is a little number I picked up on from a VCDL guy: It is an interesting read from "Police Chiefs Magazine":

http://policechiefmagazine.org/magazine/index.cfm?fuseaction=display_arch&article_id=757&issue_id=122005

Where simply carrying a handgun is not in itself illegal and does not constitute probable cause to arrest,[suP]2[/suP] it follows that carrying a handgun, in and of itself, does not furnish reasonable suspicion justifying a Terry stop

freedom1776

imported post

I can't beleive this code has not been brought up before. I am sure that most officers are not aware of it and if they hassle you for OC and you show them this I think they will likely back down. Does anyone else think that this code could be used against a LEO that has illegally detained or arrested someone for OC? Possible lawsuit against the officer?

JSK333

imported post

I've mentioned this several times in posts about OC on GlockTalk. Yes, I believe it could be used for harrassment for OC'ing.