• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carrying in Boise

shadowalker

imported post

I've been carrying concealed every day for 2 years, about a month ago I started open carrying about 80% of the time in the Boise / Meridian area.

I have yet to have a comment about carrying, I've got a few curious looks but on average people have been nicer than normal so far I've open carried to:

Albertsons (various)
Cabelas
Craft Warehouse
Fred Meyers in Meridian
Gas stations
Home Depot
Les Schwab (waited with a LEO for about half an hour for a tire to be fixed)
Lowes
Quiznos
StarBucks
Target

shadowalker

imported post

Thanks, you as well, I haven't run into any one else open carrying yet.

I open carried in Walmart for about an hour tonight without a problem, had been holdin off based on comments from some others.

Saint

imported post

Welcome to OCDO Shadow. Always good to hear of another OCer in the Boise area. Glad to hear your experiences thus far have been uneventful :D

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

Pa. Patriot wrote:
shadowalker wrote:
.... but on average people have been nicer than normal

Isn't that something... ?
;)
Yeah, that's something. People restraing their natural tendency for being a**holesbecause theyharborirrational fears and imagine horrific responses to their poor behavior. Its a shame that people cant be polite without assuming they will be pistolwhipped or shot if they fall out of line. But it is a nice side-effect to being lawfully armed.

IdahoCorsair

State Researcher
imported post

Welcome to OCDO! Glad to see yet another OCer in the Boise area!
Speaking of which I'm trying to figure out how many OCers we have here in Boise on this site.... anybody know?

UTOC-45-44

imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
Pa. Patriot wrote:
shadowalker wrote:
.... but on average people have been nicer than normal

Isn't that something... ?
;)
Yeah, that's something. People restraing their natural tendency for being a**holesbecause theyharborirrational fears and imagine horrific responses to their poor behavior. Its a shame that people cant be polite without assuming they will be pistolwhipped or shot if they fall out of line. But it is a nice side-effect to being lawfully armed.
That's Fuuuny but True....:what:

shadowalker

imported post

Yestesterday I OC'd at:

RC Willey
Burlington Coat Factory
The Ram (on Eagle)
Cabelas

At Burlington a staff lady asked me to help her move something to a higher shelf, and sat and talked about diaper bags with me and my wife while we discussed which one would be best for concealing her XD.

At Cabelas heard a father giving his son the being safe with firearms speech as they walked past me. The kid said "But dad, he has clips and a gun!" Despite making eye contact and nodding the dad hadn't noticed I was carrying until the kid said several more times, he is carrying a gun and clips dad!

The dad's response was oh well he must be a police officer, it gave my wife a pretty good laugh.

I was carrying my 45 XD instead of my Sig, thinking about duracoating the stainless magazines black so they don't reflect as much light.

silver nekode

imported post

Just a note, if you are open carrying at Wal-marts I suggest you stay away from the one in Caldwell! after the shooting in the parking lot recently a lot of people are edgy right now, especially the security there.

silver nekode

imported post

Well it finally happened. I went to backstreet billiards in boise and was told I had to leave my OC'ed pistol in my car. This is the first place I have been told I couldn't have a firearm, and I was in my security uniform with my badge on my belt next to the gun. However, I went to Cabela's, Sportsman's and the walmart on Overland and noone said anything, as well as boise mall during lunch, however it was all in uniform. The security officer stared at me at the mall but didn't say anything.

shadowalker

imported post

I've continued to open carry 70% of the time or so and didn't have any problems until I went to Cabelas, like the last comment it wasn't the store but another customer.

I was in the reloading components section with my pregnant wife when a large man in camo walked by and said "You might want to pull down your shirt." We both initially thought he was talking to her because it had crept up a little bit in the day.

The comment left me wondering if he intended to give a CCWer a nice alert that their firearm was showing, he had a fairly short window to view and may not have noticed that my shirt was very neatly and intentionally tucked in, or if he was specifically commenting on open carry.

The tone in his voice left me feeling like he was commenting on open carry, but oh well.