• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The awnser I got from Kirkwood PD

SemperMO

imported post

To start off, I know, I know, dont ask the PD about weapons questions. I was home on leave a few weeks ago, and I was not able to obtain my FL CCW in time. I was traveling to the city of Kirkwood, right outside of St. Louis City, And I was going to open carry, due to its legality in that city. I called the PD just to see what they said about it. When I called, the officer asked what reason I had to be open carrying. At which point I told him that 1. it is my right as a Citizen, 2. To defend myself and 3. As a combat Marine, I am used to carrying a weapon. He told me that he did not think that I was trained enough to be carrying a weapon in public. That did not go over well with me, but I kept my cool, and told him that he is entitled to his opinion, but I wanted to know that law. He said that He thought I would scare people, and of course I told him that I did not care if people were scared, it is my right. He told me that he would call me back when he found out the exact wording of the law.

30 minutes later he called me back and said that unfortunately, he could not find any law against it. I said thank you and goodbye. I open carried all day in Kirkwood. No problems.:celebrate

Long story I know, but I think it needed to be said.

Pat

sccrref

imported post

At least he did call you back and give you an answer. To bad it included his own personal opinion and not just the answer to your question. Glad to hear that all went well, as it should.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

SemperMO wrote:
To start off, I know, I know, dont ask the PD about weapons questions. I was home on leave a few weeks ago, and I was not able to obtain my FL CCW in time. I was traveling to the city of Kirkwood, right outside of St. Louis City, And I was going to open carry, due to its legality in that city. I called the PD just to see what they said about it. When I called, the officer asked what reason I had to be open carrying. At which point I told him that 1. it is my right as a Citizen, 2. To defend myself and 3. As a combat Marine, I am used to carrying a weapon. He told me that he did not think that I was trained enough to be carrying a weapon in public. That did not go over well with me, but I kept my cool, and told him that he is entitled to his opinion, but I wanted to know that law. He said that He thought I would scare people, and of course I told him that I did not care if people were scared, it is my right. He told me that he would call me back when he found out the exact wording of the law.

30 minutes later he called me back and said that unfortunately, he could not find any law against it. I said thank you and goodbye. I open carried all day in Kirkwood. No problems.:celebrate

Long story I know, but I think it needed to be said.

Pat
Funny -- unfortunately

Obviously many police officers have a conflict of interest with certain aspects of their duties, oc to be one, at least for civilians, unfortunately, they don't keep these opinions to themselves, advice is one thing, telling a marine they don't have enough training seems borderline idiodic to me.

SemperMO

imported post

Because even though I wear cammies and a certian peculiar Medal (EGA) and not a badge, it scares them. It really makes me wonder if he ever had any training in a place like Iraq? I have, but I guess that that little detail doesnt matter to him. ******* Pathetic. I don't care if it scares people.

Pat

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

SemperMO wrote:
Because even though I wear cammies and a certian peculiar Medal (EGA) and not a badge, it scares them. It really makes me wonder if he ever had any training in a place like Iraq? I have, but I guess that that little detail doesnt matter to him. ******* Pathetic. I don't care if it scares people.

Pat
I agree with you in principle. I am not responsible for other people's irrational reaction to my lawful behavior. I recently had a conversation with a County Sheriff telling me that police response to these activities is an 'ineffecient use of law enforcement resources'- if that isthe case, so are traffic stops for speeding and other moving violations that dont result in an arrest.

cvc

imported post

I would say to that officer and all law enforcement in general, that your refusal to identify and arrest all illegal aliens that go about freely in our cities (many of whom are violent criminals)......scares the hellout of me.:shock:

apjonas

imported post

SemperMo said: I called the PD just to see what they said about it.

You knew it was legal but went through this exercise? Why? Maybe times have changed but I know several hundred better things to do on leave than play test-a-cop. What would you have done if he had said it is unlawful? What if you were wrong but he said it was ok just so he could park you in a cell?

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

apjonas wrote:
SemperMo said:  I called the PD just to see what they said about it.

You knew it was legal but went through this exercise?  Why?  Maybe times have changed but I know several hundred better things to do on leave than play test-a-cop.  What would you have done if he had said it is unlawful?  What if you were wrong but he said it was ok just so he could park you in a cell?

Some people have better things to do than live in fear of "what if".

LoveMyCountry

Edited for typo.

apjonas

imported post

LoveMyCountry wrote:

Some people have better things to do than live in fear of "what it".

"What it"? Assuming you meant "what if," yes there are such people. They star in movies like "Dumbass," make the Darwin list and show up on YouTube. Yes, I know that rattlesnake is venomous but I want to see how it reacts to my hand. Mom told me that bleach is poisonous but I want to find out for myself. Please tell me the value of what SemperMO did. Perhaps I am just missing it.

Ss

imported post

apjonas wrote:
LoveMyCountry wrote:

"What it"? Assuming you meant "what if," yes there are such people. They star in movies like "Dumbass," make the Darwin list and show up on YouTube. Yes, I know that rattlesnake is venomous but I want to see how it reacts to my hand. Mom told me that bleach is poisonous but I want to find out for myself. Please tell me the value of what SemperMO did. Perhaps I am just missing it.

HAHAHA maybe he just wanted to smear it in some wise ass cops face to piss him off and say I can do this and you can do nothing about it.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
SNIP I recently had a conversation with a County Sheriff telling me that police response to these activities is an 'ineffecient use of law enforcement resources'- if that isthe case, so are traffic stops for speeding and other moving violations that dont result in an arrest.

The too-obvious answer is, "Then don't respond, idiot!" "Have your dispatcher trained to ask questions to clarify whether illegal activity was, is, or is about to occur; and tell the bed-wetting caller that it is LEGAL, have a nice day!"

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

apjonas wrote:
LoveMyCountry wrote:

"What it"?  Assuming you meant "what if," yes there are such people.  They star in movies like "Dumbass," make the Darwin list and show up on YouTube.  Yes, I know that rattlesnake is venomous but I want to see how it reacts to my hand.  Mom told me that bleach is poisonous but I want to find out for myself.  Please tell me the value of what SemperMO did.  Perhaps I am just missing it.

Your examples make no sense. Going back to the OP, what SemperMO did was make a telephone call to find out what the local LEO's thought of open carrying. SemperMO knew that OC was legal. What he did not know was whether the cops knew that as well, so he asked them. How is that the same as playing with a rattlesnake? How is that playing test-a-cop?

Knowing that something is illegal and doing it anyway would be stupid. To live in fear of "what if" and not find out would definitely qualify someone as a Dumbass.

LoveMyCountry

drur

imported post

I have open carried in both Missouri and Virginia. The only time I had anyone question me was out in VA earlier this year when a rent a cop at the hotel I was staying in questioned me. My response to "why was I open carrying"?

"It is my right to do so". I promptly asked him why HE carried! Answer? Because his job required him to do so. My answer? Because my wife and five children deserve to have a husband/father.

I actually enjoyed the situation. What a f'in asshole....

Long story short, the BS cops will give you about "frightening" folks is just that, BS.

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
imported post

advice is one thing, telling a marine they don't have enough training seems borderline idiodic to me.

seems way beyond the border to me, that's an invasion clear past the border and into the capitol of insanity. Any combat military service member, has more weapons handling skills thanany of these small town cops.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

PrayingForWar wrote:
advice is one thing, telling a marine they don't have enough training seems borderline idiodic to me.

seems way beyond the border to me, that's an invasion clear past the border and into the capitol of insanity. Any combat military service member, has more weapons handling skills thanany of these small town cops.

Yeah, ya know, I was just thinking the same thing...he tells the cop he's a Marine, and the cops response is "I don't think you're trained enough.."...WTF? That honestly seems completely out of left field.

As far as the whole situation, I would have done the same thing you did. It's good to call ahead and make sure you're not gonna get taken down by uneducated and/or over-reacting cops.

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

PrayingForWar wrote:
There was a tom hanks movie back in the 80s called the money pit. There's a scene where he's filling up the bathtub and it falls through the second story floor and down to the first floor. Hanks loses it and starts to laugh his ass off. yeah, that'd be me if the cop would have said that to me. :lol::monkey:lol::celebrate:lol:

Michigander

imported post

openryan wrote:
telling a marine they don't have enough training seems borderline idiodic to me.

I'm a hard core gun nut, and I mean real hard core, but I was never a soldier. I know more about guns than most people I meet in person, but I've NEVER met a Marine that did not know more about military weapons of all types than I do, and often times they know more about some of my own weapons than I do.

I'd say most active duty Marines could outshoot most cops, outside of officers with jobs requiring special training. That reminds me of the DEA agent with the .40 Glock blowing a hole in his leg. What a dumbass.

DeltaII5

imported post

SemperMO wrote:
As a combat Marine, I am used to carrying a weapon. He told me that he did not think that I was trained enough to be carrying a weapon in public.

His short weapons time at the academy and qualifying once year is enough training? Wow. Sounds like the typical anti statement. Only the police are well enough trained to carry a gun, even though their training is normally piss poor.