• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My trip to the coast

muzz3256

imported post

Ok, so from 8/19 till yesterday, I was in the Tidewater area, OCing EVERYWHERE!! I stayed at the Sleep Inn on Bypass Rd in Williamsburg the entire time; OC'd every morning to the continental breakfast in the hotel, no problems.

Multiple attractions in the area, the first, Ripley’s Believe it or Not, and this was the first Anti-Gun establishment I ran into. The manager said that they do not allow guns in the building. I apologized and told him that I must have missed the sign at the door. He then informed me that they did not want to put up a sign because it would distract from the family atmosphere there, and that people might not come to that establishment. I told him that I would disarm (only because my parents, who came along, paid a lot of money for the tickets into the museum for all of us.), and that I expected not to pay for re-entry or I would need a refund. He said no problem, and re-admitted me. However, when I asked for his name, he refused to give it to me, saying that it was for his own, personal safety.

This had initially worried me, I had not been in town 24 hours, and already was being disarmed.

We proceeded to go shopping at the outlet malls, all with no problems. Merchant Square and some Colonial Williamsburg with no problems. A female employee in Wythe Candy in Merchant Square asked if I was in law enforcement, I told her no, she then asked if the gun was fake, and I said no. Before I had a chance to educate her, her co-worker next to her, another young lady started informing her of the laws (who ever said that women don't like guns or gun laws). I did not carry into Busch Gardens or Water Country USA, as they have it posted no weapons and I was not going to open carry in Water Country anyway. I went into Norfolk, Newport News, and Hampton, no problems walking around open carrying. Went through the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel and stopped at the Fisherman’s Island, open carried there, caused a small scare in a group of Japanese tourist, who went to a CBBT Authority Police officer, and told him that I had a gun on my side. He told their interpreter, who told them, that in Virginia, what I was doing is not illegal, and they all looked at him in disbelief, and all started talking in Japanese. I continued traveling up the Eastern Shore to Wallops Island, stopping for lunch somewhere in between, went into the NASA Visitors Center at Wallops Island, no problems (for future reference, this is more for children, than for adults).

I went to numerous restaurants in the area, Red, Hot, and Blue, Captain Georges Seafood Buffet, Fireside Chophouse, then, on my last night, I went to Pizzeria Uno, about 10 minutes after being seated, the manager Andy, came up to me, and in a VERY polite and professional manor, told me “While I really appreciate you ability to carry a firearm and I understand that it is allowed under the law, the owner does not allow people to carry firearms in the building.” He told me this very discreetly and politely and I complied with his request. After dinner, I caught up with him and thanked him for his professionalism and discreetness, he informed me that he is in no way shape or form, anti-gun, but that the owner is, and he has to follow the rules. He was very nice and professional through out the experience.

Other than those 2 events, there were no other problems. I had a solid 5 days of OCing and did not have any other problems

vtme_grad98

imported post

muzz3256 wrote:
However, when I asked for his name, he refused to give it to me, saying that it was for his own, personal safety.
I would imagine the only real "safety" issue for him was making sure his bosses didn't find out he was making up rules as he went along. Granted, maybe he really is just that much of a cowardly sheep. But I doubt that, because then he wouldn't have approached you in the first place.

vtme_grad98

imported post

muzz3256 wrote:
then, on my last night, I went to Pizzeria Uno, about 10 minutes after being seated, the manager Andy, came up to me, and in a VERY polite and professional manor, told me “While I really appreciate you ability to carry a firearm and I understand that it is allowed under the law, the owner does not allow people to carry firearms in the building.”
When I go out to eat armed, I generally choose my seat location at the table to minimize the visibility of my gun. One reason is so I can worry a little less about retention the whole time I'm eating. The other is to reduce things like that from happening. The way I see it, if they weren't paying enough attention as they seated me to notice it, no sense just sitting there at the edge of the booth, shoving it in their face.

paramedic70002

imported post

I CCed in Busch Gardens (as did my wife) 2 weeks ago and we didn't see any NO WEAPONS signs, although the baby bag got a thorough working over. Guess they don't want anybody sneaking in a lunch to get out of paying $33 for 3 hamburgers, fries and drinks. NO, I am not kidding. $33.

muzz3256

imported post

That is funny, I guess the borchure said something about no weapons, so I did not carry it. Water Country USA would have been pointless, it ould have had to stay in a locker all day, so instead it stayed in the car.