Thread: Encounter with Hancock county Sherriff while open carrying

Post imported post

Yesturday I was out in the buffer zone north of Stennis Space Center near Picayune (a place I grew up shooting) and I was confronted by a Sherriff. I was shooting in a old gravel pit and he came around the corner with his gun drawn and ordered me to drop my weapon and walk towards him. Once he figured out I was just shooting and not some "crazed body dumping criminal from New Orleans" he was pretty cool with the whole situation. He just informed me that the land had been purchased by the Navy and was used for Seal training. He even told us places we could go shoot in the buffer zone and told us we were lucky we did not run into the seals because they are alot more ******** about being out there.

Post imported post

He didnt seem to mind.... of course could have been the area too..

State Researcher

Post imported post

Why ask? We all know LEOs generally aren't the ones to ask, since they don't know.

Also, it didn't seem the guy was anti from the story... just a bit paranoid that everyone shooting must be a "crazed body dumping criminal from New Orleans."

It seems that after his initial paranoid over-reaction that he was cool about guns (telling places to shoot).

State Researcher

Post imported post

I guess I was thinking that asking implied letting them espouse their "view" on the law rather than telling you the law... as you put it... OF COURSE it's a good idea to "ask." Nice way of introducing the law to them!

State Researcher
    Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA

Post imported post

Additionally, the confrontation was over the fact that the OP was shooting, not OC. Seems if the sherif had a problem with the OC he would have mentioned it, no?

Post imported post

OP was within the law as he was "engaged in legitimate shooting sport".

OC "in the woods" is not the same as OC in town.