• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT This will knock your hat in the creek

Kelly J

imported post

Cue-Ball wrote:
Do they have to speak English? Absolutely, as set forth in the Documents of Citizenship, established by the Immigration and Naturalization Documents, These things are requiredto become a US Citizen. To read, speak, and write the English Language is a requirement for Citizenship.
I guess I should have worded this differently. Does not speaking English all the time make someone less of an American? For instance, say I emigrate to this country from China. If I know English, I can speak English, and I pledge allegiance to this country, but I choose to speak Chinese, does that make me less of an American? Not to a degree but if for instance you are in a work place you should speak English at all times unless you are an interprator, Understand I personally feel that a person should at all times cling to their hearitage it is a part of them and should not be lost.
Do they have to believe in God? Absolutely, the god of their choice as granted by the First Amendment to the Constitution of these United States.
Could you please point out to me the text in the Bill of Rights which requires the belief in God? My reference to the use of Absolutely was not ment to imply that it was a requirement but only to emphisize the freedom of ones Religious Beliefs, and that they are a protected right, as you have indicated by your quotation below.
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;"

Free exercise means the right to NOT do something, just as much as the right to do it. I have freedom of speech, but I'm not required to speak. I have freedom of religion, but I'm not required to practice your religion or any religion at all. Again you are correct 100%, so on this we are in an agreement, I sometimes get in a hurry and don't choose my wording as carefully as I should and rereading it really doesn't help at times because of the passion of the thought process, I ask your indulgence.

Kelly J

imported post

PavePusher wrote:
Let's not forget that there are lots of Americans who are not yet Citizens, but are working hard towards that goal. Many of them are better Americans than a lot of people who were born here. Check the list of non-Citizens killed in the uniforms of the U.S. Armed Forces for a start. Read your local newspapers about the immigrant who fights off thieves trying to robhis/her buisness. All the casualties of the American revolution (none of whom were technicallyCitizens yet).

An Americancan be just about anyone.

ACitizen is one who is ready to give more than they recieve. Even if they recieve nothing... and give everything.
Amen to that, and I believe you will also find them to be a whole lot more Patriotic.

Lew

imported post

Free exercise means the right to NOT do something, just as much as the right to do it. I have freedom of speech, but I'm not required to speak. I have freedom of religion, but I'm not required to practice your religion or any religion at all. Again you are correct 100%, so on this we are in an agreement, I sometimes get in a hurry and don't choose my wording as carefully as I should and rereading it really doesn't help at times because of the passion of the thought process, I ask your indulgence.

Whew! For a minute there I thought I wasn't an American anymore, and then I would have felt silly wearing this uniform and all.

Kelly J

imported post

Lew wrote:

Whew! For a minute there I thought I wasn't an American anymore, and then I would have felt silly wearing this uniform and all.
Hey Man never feel silly or like you made a mistakeputting on the Uniform, you made the right choice, and we respect you for doing it, thank you for your Service, and if you are deployed be safe, and come home when the job is done, and always hold your head up high forthe service you hav gave, or given, it is an Honor to serve.

Kelly J

imported post

Lew wrote:

Hey Man never feel silly or like you made a mistakeputting on the Uniform, you made the right choice, and we respect you for doing it, thank you for your Service, and if you are deployed be safe, and come home when the job is done, and always hold your head up high forthe service you hav gave, or given, it is an Honor to serve.