Thread: New gun purchase

Post imported post

I want to buy a 1911, money isn't the issue. Just want something I can rely on.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thank you

Post imported post

I have a couple 2 3 Kimbers, I dig'm. No issues and shoot great. They are the only kind of 1911 I have so I cant compare them to another brand.

Post imported post

Take a look at the new taurus 1911. I looked at one during the NRA convention and looks like I'm getting one....lol...those from MO know why I'm waiting till after the 28th.

Post imported post

That Taurus 1911 is very well-built and a great value. The Springfield Loaded is also fantastic. Or, should you want one without all the bells and whistles, you can get a more basic 1911 from Springfield, Kimber, or any number of other reputable manufacturers.

If you could tell us what you're looking for, it would help. If you want one with the skeletoized hammer and trigger, night sights, polished feed ramps, and extended ejector port, then you really can't go wrong with the Taurus PT-1911 or the Springfield Loaded. If you want a GI version, you'll be looking at a completely different group of 1911s.

Post imported post

freedom wrote:

Goodnews: There are soooooo many good options....

Bad news: There are soooooo many good options....

I think the first step is to decidewhether it'sfor range, PD, carry. Then, full size or commander size. Then basic or loaded. Something like that...

This forum is pretty good:

http://www.1911forum.com/forums/

There are so many choices, you'll havea bunch of fun picking one.

A couple of months ago, I picked up a S&W 1911PD, commander size, with Crimson Trace grips. Very nice. S&W makes some fine 1911s, thoughmost people don't think of Smith first as a maker of 1911s.

Post imported post

Drewesque wrote:
    That Taurus 1911 is very well-built and a great value. The Springfield Loaded is also fantastic. Or, should you want one without all the bells and whistles, you can get a more basic 1911 from Springfield, Kimber, or any number of other reputable manufacturers.

If you could tell us what you're looking for, it would help. If you want one with the skeletoized hammer and trigger, night sights, polished feed ramps, and extended ejector port, then you really can't go wrong with the Taurus PT-1911 or the Springfield Loaded. If you want a GI version, you'll be looking at a completely different group of 1911s.
    Thank you all for the replies.

Yes, I did take a look at the Taurus 1911, I like itand the price isn't bad.

Looks like this will be the one

Still trying to get on the Springfield web site though with no luck.

Thank you and will keep you posted about my decision.

Post imported post

HankT wrote:
    freedom wrote:

Goodnews: There are soooooo many good options....

Bad news: There are soooooo many good options....

I think the first step is to decidewhether it'sfor range, PD, carry. Then, full size or commander size. Then basic or loaded. Something like that...

This forum is pretty good:

http://www.1911forum.com/forums/

There are so many choices, you'll havea bunch of fun picking one.

A couple of months ago, I picked up a S&W 1911PD, commander size, with Crimson Trace grips. Very nice. S&W makes some fine 1911s, thoughmost people don't think of Smith first as a maker of 1911s.
    HankT

Thank you for the reply

At first I was looking at the XD45 but, after what I read I don't about it, I just went the other direction

The .45is for CC/OC

Thanks again

Post imported post

I'd love to get a Para-Ordinance Night-hog(Warthog). Man oh man, if money was no object. I find myself just staring at these bad boys everytime to get simple things at the gun shop

Post imported post

Well, I just picked up the RIA Tactical Model for today (JJ BAG Day!)

The trigger's a little rough, but the slide is super-smooth. Of course, it's also brand-new. Just another reason to break it in.

I'm probably going to the range on Friday, I'll let you know how it does.

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/3358/p1010006nm9.jpg
    http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/2216/p1010007ll9.jpg
    http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/4716/p1010008no0.jpg
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

freedom wrote:

Thank you
    Get a full size Kimber. Most 1911 weapons are not made very well anymore and are not rugged enough for a gunfight.

Post imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
    freedom wrote:

Thank you
    Get a full size Kimber. Most 1911 weapons are not made very well anymore and are not rugged enough for a gunfight.
    I'd have to say that Springfield still makes a good one, and the Taurus seems very solid to me (though I'll admit that I haven't had the opportunity to fire that one).
    Kimbers are good, but it often seems that you are paying for the name on the slide. Of course, with money not being the issue, a Kimber isn't a bad choice.
    I do have to ask how many 1911s aren't rugged enough for a gunfight, anyway. I don't have much experience with some of the different brands, but there are still at least a few solidly built, reliable 1911s.

Post imported post

My "next" 1911 carry gun will probably be made from (mostly) Caspian parts. I am particularily looking at the titanium frame married to a parkerized steel slide and a stainless barrel in COMMANDER length.

That or one of the recent Colt commanders if I can find one in the right condition and price.

Yeah I am a big fella but a full sized steel frame 1911 is still too much weight and length to comfortably carry compared to the smaller/lighter ones out there. (However the 3 inch .45's are just way too "tricky" to keep running well/reliably.) My XD .45 sold me on lighter guns for open carry.