• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I have a confession to make

Phssthpok

imported post

Last Saturday (Aug 25) my company held their 'Family Picnic' at Alderbrook park in Hockinson, Wa. Being a Wa. CPL holder I decided to run the risk of termination by 'smuggling' my .45 into the assemblage.

I know, I know... I was tempting fate (pokin' a stick at a dog through a fence as it were), but there's a reason for it. Seems on Wednesday of last week a 'disgruntled former employeee' called and made a threat to the effect of "I'm gunna come down there and shoot everybody!", or some such.

The result is ever since Thursday morning we've had to show ID to a guard at the gate (an UNARMED guard mind you...not even OC spray) in an effort to 'ensure our safety'. Yeah.. right. What's the guard gunna do? Yell "STOP! Or.... I'll tell you to stop AGAIN!"? Basicly all it amounted to was making EXTRA sure we were all a bunch of disarmed sheeple behind that lockdown fence. This of course doesn't even take into account the 3/4 mile UNSECURED shoreline on the north side of the plant.
pat.gif

But I digress. As I suspected, when I approached the entrance to the park there was ZERO security presence. Zip, Zilch, NADA. I figured, if they were concerned enough to tighten security (
z7shysterical.gif
) at the plant, I wasn't going to take any chances at the picnic, so I slipped the .45 in under a couple of heavy books, my big glass SEE-gar ashtray, and an empty water bottle in my bag. They never even gave the bag a cursory look. Yeah.. you're REAL concerned about our safety alright. I never pulled it out of the bag, but the bag was in my posession at all times.

Like I said before, I realize I was treading a fine line with my employment, but I'd rather take a chance with my finances than with my life.

Mightybigjosh

imported post

Don't feel bad, I'da done the same thing, especially if someone called in a threat like that! If you get fired for it, so be it... find a new job. If someone comes in shooting, well you might just be a company hero. Don't let fear of unemploymentbe the reason you aren't alive anymore.

I say good on ya!

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

I think that as long as you make a rational analysis of the threat, the rules, and the consequences--then it's up to you to make the choice.

Your story reminds me of an occasionmany yearsago when I had a conflict (adiscipline matter) witha pretty volatile guy at work. Something about the situation seemed pretty dangerous to me, so for a few days I carried my Colt Combat Commander into work in my briefcase and kept it in my office right behind my desk.

Being discovered would have meant instant termination but I felt thebenefits outweighed the risks at that time. I did feel very apprehensive, as you seem to, about walking around my company and past the entrance guard station with a C&L .45 in my briefcase. It was not fun for me.

Good luck in your future decisions, Phssthpok. And be careful.

Tomahawk

imported post

And how many peaceable citizens feel the need to carry illegaly in DC or NYC in the same manner? They're faced with an even worse choice: protect your life or stay out of jail. Losing your job or going to jail for protecting your own life is just plain wrong, and a reminder of why gun controlis all wrong.

BIG SHAFE

imported post

I feel the same way about carrying at college. After VT, I feel extremely helpless. In a few seconds one could wipe out an auditorium of 100students or more.

Although I haven't, I think about carrying all the time.:(

dt

imported post

I've often had the same type of thoughts. I work in Vancouver (small company), and not in a very good area of Vancouver.Gotta do what you gotta do for your ownsafety.

Alderbrook, huh? Its been yearssince I've been there, I had kind of wondered if they were stilleven open. Do they still have fruit punch in the drinking fountains?

Phssthpok

imported post

dt wrote:
I've often had the same type of thoughts. I work in Vancouver (small company), and not in a very good area of Vancouver.Gotta do what you gotta do for your ownsafety.

Alderbrook, huh? Its been yearssince I've been there, I had kind of wondered if they were stilleven open. Do they still have fruit punch in the drinking fountains?
Nope.

It''s Pink Lemonade now!;)

charliecrusader

imported post

Similar situation with a previous employer. Had a fellow employee who was clinically unstable and had numerous dicipline issues. Carried to work from then on. If my employer had found out and objected I would have quit, forget being fired. Right to life trumphs most if not all other things.

TL

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

BIG SHAFE wrote:
I feel the same way about carrying at college. After VT, I feel extremely helpless. In a few seconds one could wipe out an auditorium of 100students or more.

The only thing keeping me from carrying on campus is that here, in CA, it might be a felony. The way the law is written, it sounds like it's up to the DA if he wants to call it a misdemeanor or felony. Of course, a felony conviction could disarm me for the rest of my life, which could be very bad for my safety.

There is a claus in CA law saying one can carry a gun in a locked container, but I need to see if there's a catch in there somewhere. At least then if the shooting starts out in the hall, I can have access to defense in about 10 seconds.

BIG SHAFE

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
BIG SHAFE wrote:

The only thing keeping me from carrying on campus is that here, in CA, it might be a felony. The way the law is written, it sounds like it's up to the DA if he wants to call it a misdemeanor or felony. Of course, a felony conviction could disarm me for the rest of my life, which could be very bad for my safety.

There is a claus in CA law saying one can carry a gun in a locked container, but I need to see if there's a catch in there somewhere. At least then if the shooting starts out in the hall, I can have access to defense in about 10 seconds.
I totally understand, here in Ohio I'm almost positive that it is a misdemeanor only. I'll have to check on that also.

flyin_ryan

imported post

Couldn't agree more, a .38 on the ankle would have been instant termination, but I wasn't gonna die for 10 bucks an hour! I could always get a new job, can't interview for a new life.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

flyin_ryan wrote:
Couldn't agree more, a .38 on the ankle would have been instant termination, but I wasn't gonna die for 10 bucks an hour! I could always get a new job, can't interview for a new life.
It's a serious thing, but U just make LMAO the way you said it:lol:.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
I have a question, though. If you have to so deeply hide the firearm - how effective is it going to be for self defense? Some nut shows up and starts shooting, what good is it going to do for you to have to dump all that stuff out of the bag to retrieve your gun? I guess slim chance is better than no chance, though.

Why "Deep" Carry.

Mine is right on the hip where it belongs.On the Belt. T-shirt and a shirt is covering it.:D

Carry on Boys...:celebrate

Phssthpok

imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
NavyLT wrote:
I have a question, though. If you have to so deeply hide the firearm - how effective is it going to be for self defense? Some nut shows up and starts shooting, what good is it going to do for you to have to dump all that stuff out of the bag to retrieve your gun? I guess slim chance is better than no chance, though.

Why "Deep" Carry.

Mine is right on the hip where it belongs.On the Belt. T-shirt and a shirt is covering it.:D

Carry on Boys...:celebrate
I believe he was refering to the fact that it was 'buried' under two books, my ashtray, and a water bottle INSIDE a zippered bag.

The location of the picnic was in a private park approx. 63 acres in size. Where I was situated, there would have been plenty of time to respond to any 'situation' before it got my location.