Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Carrying gun openly results in arrest

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193

    Post imported post

    http://www.charleston.net/news/2007/.../briefly14226/ wrote:

    Carrying gun openly results in arrest

    A man who said he thought having a concealed weapons permit meant he could wear his .45-caliber handgun in public view was arrested on charges of unlawful carrying of a pistol.

    North Charleston police got a call Sunday afternoon about a man walking around a store at 7800 Rivers Ave. Officers saw him walk out of the store and noted a black handgun in a holster in public view.

    The owner had a concealed weapons permit and told officers he thought that meant "having it on you," police reported.

    Officers said Nathan Charles Dailey, 22, of Summerville, wasn't carrying the pistol within the regulations of the permit because it wasn't hidden from public view in normal wear of clothing.

    The handgun was loaded with a bullet in the chamber, and the safety was off, police said.
    Uh oh. The NRA certified CCW/CWP instructor will hang for this and the others will be scrutinized. In eight hours or instruction, this guy didn't get the point.

    Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA *******

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    82

    Post imported post

    This site list South Carolina as a open carry State. I just read the S.C. firearms laws and can't find were open carry is illegal. What is the deal ?

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193

    Post imported post

    "This site lists..." What site? The only site mentioned in this thread is charleston.net which is the Posted & Currying newsrag.

    South Carolina prohibits open carry with explicit exceptions.

  4. #4
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Troy, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    544

    Post imported post

    I think he might mean OCDO when he says this site.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Mag-bayonettes!, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,407

    Post imported post

    just a guy, with a Glock wrote:
    This site list South Carolina as a open carry State. I just read the S.C. firearms laws and can't find were open carry is illegal. What is the deal ?
    No it doesn't...
    http://opencarry.org/sc.html
    -Unrequited

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Mag-bayonettes!, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,407

    Post imported post

    just a guy, with a Glock wrote:
    unrequited wrote:
    just a guy, with a Glock wrote:
    This site list South Carolina as a open carry State. I just read the S.C. firearms laws and can't find were open carry is illegal. What is the deal ?
    No it doesn't...
    http://opencarry.org/sc.html
    ***** Thanks, I was looking at Specific open carry prohibitions, none. I still couldn't find a statue preventing open carry in SC. I know someone that open carrys in SC so I was wondering.
    ...I hope not:
    http://www.scstatehouse.net/code/t16c023.htm
    "It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not, except as follows, unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law:
    [rest follows I'll let you read]"
    -Unrequited

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193

    Post imported post

    I think we see here evidence of modern bad-parenting. I remember being told and telling my offspring to 'not answer back.'

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    82

    Post imported post

    Thanks I found the applicable Statues.

  9. #9
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    Doug Huffman wrote:
    http://www.charleston.net/news/2007/.../briefly14226/ wrote:

    Carrying gun openly results in arrest

    A man who said he thought having a concealed weapons permit meant he could wear his .45-caliber handgun in public view was arrested on charges of unlawful carrying of a pistol....
    Uh oh. The NRA certified CCW/CWP instructor will hang for this and the others will be scrutinized. In eight hours or instruction, this guy didn't get the point.

    Why would you blame the instructor for what this goof with a gun did?

    Oh, it's an NRA certified instructor....

    Never mind.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193

    Post imported post

    Virtually - archly - the only kind in South Carolina.

  11. #11
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    , Indiana, USA
    Posts
    1,606

    Post imported post

    HankT wrote:
    Doug Huffman wrote:
    http://www.charleston.net/news/2007/.../briefly14226/ wrote:

    Carrying gun openly results in arrest

    A man who said he thought having a concealed weapons permit meant he could wear his .45-caliber handgun in public view was arrested on charges of unlawful carrying of a pistol....
    Uh oh. The NRA certified CCW/CWP instructor will hang for this and the others will be scrutinized. In eight hours or instruction, this guy didn't get the point.

    Why would you blame the instructor for what this goof with a gun did?

    Oh, it's an NRA certified instructor....

    Never mind.
    I still don't think you can blame the instructor.

    Everyone else he has taught obviously got the point, except this guy. Maybe he even got the point, and wanted to push his luck, you can't blame the instructor for someones stupidy when they are not in his control.

    I could tell someone OC is illegal in SC all day every day for a year, then they could go out and have their firearm exposed, be arrested, and claim they didn't know... Is it my fault? Of course not.

    Hasn't anyone thought this guy might just be playing stupid for an eaiser defense. It would be easier to place the blame on an instructor than yourself, in that situation, especially for a guy who didn't want to man up to his responsibilities...

  12. #12
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    openryan wrote:
    I could tell someone OC is illegal in SC all day every day for a year, then they could go out and have their firearm exposed, be arrested, and claim they didn't know... Is it my fault?
    Are you now or have you ever been a member of the National Rifle Association?

  13. #13
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    , Indiana, USA
    Posts
    1,606

    Post imported post

    HankT wrote:
    openryan wrote:
    I could tell someone OC is illegal in SC all day every day for a year, then they could go out and have their firearm exposed, be arrested, and claim they didn't know... Is it my fault?
    Are you now or have you ever been a member of the National Rifle Association?
    Absolutely not. Why is that a pertinent question? That whole statement was for example...

    You should be questioning the blame.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bristow, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    491

    Post imported post

    Save yourselves a lot of time and IGNORE HankT Nifongs posts, do not even read them.

    The T is for Troll............

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •