Thread: Carrying gun openly results in arrest

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

http://www.charleston.net/news/2007/.../briefly14226/ wrote:

Carrying gun openly results in arrest

A man who said he thought having a concealed weapons permit meant he could wear his .45-caliber handgun in public view was arrested on charges of unlawful carrying of a pistol.

North Charleston police got a call Sunday afternoon about a man walking around a store at 7800 Rivers Ave. Officers saw him walk out of the store and noted a black handgun in a holster in public view.

The owner had a concealed weapons permit and told officers he thought that meant "having it on you," police reported.

Officers said Nathan Charles Dailey, 22, of Summerville, wasn't carrying the pistol within the regulations of the permit because it wasn't hidden from public view in normal wear of clothing.

The handgun was loaded with a bullet in the chamber, and the safety was off, police said.
    Uh oh. The NRA certified CCW/CWP instructor will hang for this and the others will be scrutinized. In eight hours or instruction, this guy didn't get the point.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA *******

Post imported post

This site list South Carolina as a open carry State. I just read the S.C. firearms laws and can't find were open carry is illegal. What is the deal ?

Banned

Post imported post

"This site lists..." What site? The only site mentioned in this thread is charleston.net which is the Posted & Currying newsrag.

South Carolina prohibits open carry with explicit exceptions.

State Researcher

Post imported post

I think he might mean OCDO when he says this site.

Post imported post

just a guy, with a Glock wrote:
    This site list South Carolina as a open carry State. I just read the S.C. firearms laws and can't find were open carry is illegal. What is the deal ?
    No it doesn't...
    http://opencarry.org/sc.html
    -Unrequited

Post imported post

unrequited wrote:
    No it doesn't...
    http://opencarry.org/sc.html
    ***** Thanks, I was looking at Specific open carry prohibitions, none. I still couldn't find a statue preventing open carry in SC. I know someone that open carrys in SC so I was wondering.
    ...I hope not:
    http://www.scstatehouse.net/code/t16c023.htm
    "It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not, except as follows, unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law:
    [rest follows I'll let you read]"
    -Unrequited

Banned

Post imported post

I think we see here evidence of modern bad-parenting. I remember being told and telling my offspring to 'not answer back.'

Post imported post

Thanks I found the applicable Statues.

Post imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:

A man who said he thought having a concealed weapons permit meant he could wear his .45-caliber handgun in public view was arrested on charges of unlawful carrying of a pistol....
    Uh oh. The NRA certified CCW/CWP instructor will hang for this and the others will be scrutinized. In eight hours or instruction, this guy didn't get the point.

Why would you blame the instructor for what this goof with a gun did?

Oh, it's an NRA certified instructor....

Never mind.

Banned

Post imported post

Virtually - archly - the only kind in South Carolina.

State Researcher

Post imported post

HankT wrote:
    Doug Huffman wrote:

A man who said he thought having a concealed weapons permit meant he could wear his .45-caliber handgun in public view was arrested on charges of unlawful carrying of a pistol....

Why would you blame the instructor for what this goof with a gun did?

Oh, it's an NRA certified instructor....

Never mind.
    I still don't think you can blame the instructor.

Everyone else he has taught obviously got the point, except this guy. Maybe he even got the point, and wanted to push his luck, you can't blame the instructor for someones stupidy when they are not in his control.

I could tell someone OC is illegal in SC all day every day for a year, then they could go out and have their firearm exposed, be arrested, and claim they didn't know... Is it my fault? Of course not.

Hasn't anyone thought this guy might just be playing stupid for an eaiser defense. It would be easier to place the blame on an instructor than yourself, in that situation, especially for a guy who didn't want to man up to his responsibilities...

Post imported post

openryan wrote:
    I could tell someone OC is illegal in SC all day every day for a year, then they could go out and have their firearm exposed, be arrested, and claim they didn't know... Is it my fault?
    Are you now or have you ever been a member of the National Rifle Association?

State Researcher

Post imported post

HankT wrote:
    openryan wrote:
    I could tell someone OC is illegal in SC all day every day for a year, then they could go out and have their firearm exposed, be arrested, and claim they didn't know... Is it my fault?
    Are you now or have you ever been a member of the National Rifle Association?
    Absolutely not. Why is that a pertinent question? That whole statement was for example...

You should be questioning the blame.

Post imported post

Save yourselves a lot of time and IGNORE HankT Nifongs posts, do not even read them.

The T is for Troll............