• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

PX4 Family Addition?

hogleg

imported post

So I was involved in some handgun training last weekend and decided that I needed to put my PX4 .40 through it's paces. (carry guns in past were 357 or PPKS) The more I shoot this gun the more I like it. When I first got it I was not sure why I wanted it. The grip was fat even with the small backstrapbutI liked it and besides, itlooked COOL! Now after a full day of shooting at all angles and positions this gun has been put into the number one spot for me.Dead on for me, pops on target almost by itselfand very mangeable even with one hand.So now I am thinking maybe a PX4 9mm or even the Mini when ever they get one in. I also hear a .45 next year but don't think that is the route for me.

Anybody else have this gun and what are your thoughts on it. It was a toss up between this and the M&P .40. Still might have to get that bad boy down the road.

hogleg

imported post

So i guess nobody likes this pistol???? Anyone own the 9mm version as that is my next purchase I think. :uhoh:

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Looks like a nice gun. Not as ugly as a GLOCK.

But why would you want a 9mm?

Drake

imported post

I have the PX4 9mm. It actually was my first gun (only 21 here) but I love it. Before I bought my first handgun, I tried out a bunch of different ones. I simply bought the PX4 because it sits really well on my hand. The gun does look great but it is also very easy to clean (not revolutionary.... but nice).

My other gun is a ruger SP100 .... and the trigger is too strong =( Back to dry-firing!!!

hogleg

imported post

Oh I really have no need for another9mm other than I have about 3000 rounds available to me for free and I want one to match my .40 :)

I can't really see me replacing the .40but would be nice to have the same thing in something that will cost me little to shoot.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

hogleg wrote:
So I was involved in some handgun training last weekend and decided that I needed to put my PX4 .40 through it's paces. (carry guns in past were 357 or PPKS) The more I shoot this gun the more I like it. When I first got it I was not sure why I wanted it. The grip was fat even with the small backstrapbutI liked it and besides, itlooked COOL! Now after a full day of shooting at all angles and positions this gun has been put into the number one spot for me.Dead on for me, pops on target almost by itselfand very mangeable even with one hand.So now I am thinking maybe a PX4 9mm or even the Mini when ever they get one in. I also hear a .45 next year but don't think that is the route for me.

Anybody else have this gun and what are your thoughts on it. It was a toss up between this and the M&P .40. Still might have to get that bad boy down the road.

I don't like it...

- external safety on both sides

- slide stop on both sides

- double/single action

- the extraxtor claw looks flimbsy and too long

- its fugly

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

hogleg wrote:
Oh I really have no need for another9mm other than I have about 3000 rounds available to me for free and I want one to match my .40 :)

I can't really see me replacing the .40but would be nice to have the same thing in something that will cost me little to shoot.

Ahhhhh...

Shooting for free = :)

hogleg

imported post

Yeah too bad the gun is not free. :cool:

I am not left handed but it is kind of nice to have theeverything on both sides.Part of the training was with weak handand functioning everything. Easy flick of the thumb and your in business.

Legba

imported post

Yeah, what's the objection (Bravo) to ambidextrous controls? Never heard that one before. I'm also a fan of the traditional double-action. I have no opinion about the esthetics of the extractor. The "it's fugly" I can accept, but the other items you list are plusses to me. I even like 9s (so there, Hank).

-ljp

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

Legba wrote:
Yeah, what's the objection (Bravo) to ambidextrous controls? Never heard that one before. I'm also a fan of the traditional double-action. I have no opinion about the esthetics of the extractor. The "it's fugly" I can accept, but the other items you list are plusses to me. I even like 9s (so there, Hank).

-ljp

The ambidextrous safety is 1 more thing to add to your draw-stroke. You don't need a slide stop on both sides either, unless you're left handed. If you're fighting hand becomes damaged, you can train yourself you negotiate 1 sided contols easily. You can drop the slide on a glock without touching the stop, and with 1 hand at that... heck, you can catch the rear sight on your belt and use that to drop the slide. Also look at parts list.. I don't like whatever contraption they have added to the recoil spring asembly.

Personal preference I guess.

I have a Glock 19, which is 9mm, so I'm with ya on "neenerneer Hank" comment ;)

hogleg

imported post

Just to add the .40 px4 has only a slide lock on the left side. Not sure on the 9mm.

Some don't like the higher profile decockers but can be switched out with lower profile.

This was my first and only polypistol.

hogleg

imported post

Yeah it's growing on me. I was just thinking that maybe I could throw a 357 sig barrel in there and have one hot load... Wonder if they make one. I wouldn't need the 9mm version then.

Whoa... That means Ihave to get a M&P in 9mm. Hey, I gotta use up all that 9mm ammo I got.

Eeyore

imported post

I "test drove" a PX4 in 9mm this weekend. It was pretty nice, but Ididn't like it as much as I hoped. The SA trigger pull was very nice, and the gun was plenty accurate and easy to handle. On the other hand, the DA pull seemed longer and tougher than the M-9, I had one failure to feed (slide didn't close all the way), and the recoil banged into the joint at the base of my thumb (probably because the grip is pretty deep).

Another contender for My Next Gun was the Walther P99. Haven't shot it yet, but handled it in the shop. Ergonomics were nice, but the DA pull was insanely long and heavy.

So that rules out my two most-expensive contenders. Now it's down to the M&P, Steyr M-A1, XD, or BDE. Decisions, decisions.....