• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Throat slashing on Colorado campus

dng

State Researcher
imported post

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=3532320&page=1

LEOs seemed like they did all they could, but this still shows that individuals must have a way to defend themselves instead of onlyrelying on law enforcement to take care of them.

Random Throat Slashing on Colorado Campus

Alleged Attacker Mentally Ill, Worked on Campus; Freshman Victim Expected to Recover

ap_knife_attack_070828_ms.jpg

Paramedics attend to a University of Colorado student after an attacker walked up from behind and sliced his throat at the University Memorial Center Monday in Boulder, Colo. The attacker was apprehended. (Sammy Dalla, Daily Camera/AP Photo)

byline_abcnews.gif

By DAVID SCHOETZ
Aug. 28, 2007

Font Size

Print

The brazen throat slashing of an incoming freshman Monday shook the University of Colorado's Boulder campus on the first day of school.

Micheal George Knorps, 17, was leaving the university's student center around 9:30 a.m. Monday just days after arriving on campus.

At the same time, according to police and university officials, Kenton Drew Astin, a 39-year-old former campus employee with a history of mental illness, parked across the street from the building, exited his vehicle, began shouting incoherently and attacked Knorps.

The suspect grabbed Knorps from behind and sliced his throat, according to a release issued by the University of Colorado at Boulder officials. The injured student freed himself as officers from the Boulder Police Department and Boulder County Sheriff's Office responded, demanding that Astin drop his weapon.

Instead, he turned the weapon on himself. "The suspect began to stab himself with the knife and officers deployed a Taser to disable the suspect and then took him into custody," the release reads.

Both men were transported to a local hospital. Knorps, of Winnetka, Ill., underwent surgery Monday to repair a neck wound and is expected to make a full recovery, according to University Chancellor G.P. "Bud" Peterson, who has been in communication with Knorps' family. Astin remains in the hospital with serious injuries.
Astin allegedly was carrying a backpack at the time, but early reports suggesting he was carrying bomb-making materials turned out to be false.

The attack in Boulder happened less than five months after 32 students and faculty were killed at Virginia Tech by Seung-Hui Cho and just a week after the student body returned to Blacksburg, Va., for the first time since the massacre.

A Virginia Tech panel investigating the rampage last week recommended a series of security reforms in its internal report that included closer monitoring of mentally troubled students and improving campuswide communications during security incidents.

In the Boulder attack, the university sent out a text message at 10:20 a.m. to approximately 1,300 students, parents, faculty and staff enrolled in a service activated on the campus less than a week ago.

University administrators have urged members of the community to sign up for the text messages as a security precaution. After the killings at Virginia Tech, college campuses across the country established such messaging programs.

University of Colorado officials released as much information as possible to the public as details about the suspect emerged.

Late Monday, the university announced that Astin had worked without incident for the university as a temporary employee from October 2006 until April 2007. He was a cashier at the grill inside the building near where the stabbing occurred.

Astin had a criminal record and a history of mental illness. In 2001, according to the university, he was charged with larceny, assault and criminal intent to commit first-degree homicide. He was found not guilty by reason of insanity and was sent to the state mental hospital in Pueblo, Colo. For the last two years, he worked under a Boulder-based release program, which referred him to the university for his campus job.

Peterson, the university chancellor, immediately ordered criminal background checks for all new employees, permanent or temporary, as well as checks of existing employees.

The university also suspended its relationship with the program that had referred Astin, as well as other similar agencies, and placed seven current campus employees referred from the program on suspension while conducting further background checks.

"All campus resources have been called into action to respond to this random incident and to ensure the safety of our students and everyone on campus," Peterson said. "We are relieved that the student was not more seriously injured."

BIG SHAFE

imported post

dngreer wrote:
Micheal George Knorps, 17, was leaving the university's student center around 9:30 a.m. Monday just days after arriving on campus.

In the Boulder attack, the university sent out a text message at 10:20 a.m. to approximately 1,300 students, parents, faculty and staff enrolled in a service activated on the campus less than a week ago.
Wow that system is extremely helpful.:cuss:

Legba

imported post

Ironically, a criminal background check wouldn't necessarily have identified this guy as a potential problem. He was found not guilty by reason of insanity, so I wonder if that just gets recorded as an acquittal (in which case he should pass a check) orif there's some cross-reference to his medical records (possible problems with the HIPPA Act). Hmmm...

-ljp

dng

State Researcher
imported post

BIG SHAFE wrote:
dngreer wrote:

Wow that system is extremely helpful.:cuss:
Yeah, very helpful. Just like all the other solutions to campus safety. Reactive, not proactive. Knorps isn't old enough to be carrying a handgun, but I wonder if he might start when he is old enough.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The university also suspended its relationship with the program that had referred Astin, as well as other similar agencies, and placed seven current campus employees referred from the program on suspension while conducting further background checks.

When will they learn that passing regulations to affect those who did nothing wrong, after a wrongdoing, only makes them feel nice and fuzzy? This does NOT A DAMN THING to make anyone on any campus safer.

AbNo

imported post

LoveMyCountry wrote:
While I doubt a gun would have prevented a from behind throat slasher, it sure would stop him.

Kenton Drew Astin.... ....parked across the street from the building, exited his vehicle, began shouting incoherently and attacked Knorps.

I'll guess he had the knife out at least by the time he was standing in the street, and yelling at this kid.

Deacon Blues

imported post

dngreer wrote:
University administrators have urged members of the community to sign up for the text messages as a security precaution. After the killings at Virginia Tech, college campuses across the country established such messaging programs.
1,300 text mesages cannot stop a madman; but one bullet might.

Basically, they're turning campus violence into an interactive horror film. "Oh hey, I got a text message. It says, 'The killer is in your dorm.'"

Lew

imported post

Deacon Blues wrote:
dngreer wrote:
1,300 text mesages cannot stop a madman; but one bullet might.

Basically, they're turning campus violence into an interactive horror film. "Oh hey, I got a text message. It says, 'The killer is in your dorm.'"
That is depressing and exceedingly funny at the same time. I laughed.

imperialism2024

imported post

dngreer wrote:
Knorps isn't old enough to be carrying a handgun, but I wonder if he might start when he is old enough.

Or start carrying one illegally because he realizes how arbitrary the age limits are regarding firearms in the United States? Apparently, criminals don't exclusively pick victims who can legally carry firearms. I'm still waiting it out until I become an "adult" at age 21, though I'm sure getting my throat slashed would push me over the edge...