Thread: U.S. most armed country with 90 guns per 100 people

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

[url]http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=topNews&storyid=2007-08-28T174254Z_01_L28348938_RTRUKOC_0_US-WORLD-FIREARMS.xml&src=rss&rpc=22&sp=true[url]

By Laura MacInnis
    GENEVA (Reuters) - The United States has 90 guns for every 100 citizens, making it the most heavily armed society in the world, a report released on Tuesday said.
    U.S. citizens own 270 million of the world's 875 million known firearms, according to the Small Arms Survey 2007 by the Geneva-based Graduate Institute of International Studies.
    About 4.5 million of the 8 million new guns manufactured worldwide each year are purchased in the United States, it said.

"There is roughly one firearm for every seven people worldwide. Without the United States, though, this drops to about one firearm per 10 people," it said.
    India had the world's second-largest civilian gun arsenal, with an estimated 46 million firearms outside law enforcement and the military, though this represented just four guns per 100 people there. China, ranked third with 40 million privately held guns, had 3 firearms per 100 people.
    Germany, France, Pakistan, Mexico, Brazil and Russia were next in the ranking of country's overall civilian gun arsenals.
    On a per-capita basis, Yemen had the second most heavily armed citizenry behind the United States, with 61 guns per 100 people, followed by Finland with 56, Switzerland with 46, Iraq with 39 and Serbia with 38.

France, Canada, Sweden, Austria and Germany were next, each with about 30 guns per 100 people, while many poorer countries often associated with violence ranked much lower. Nigeria, for instance, had just one gun per 100 people.
    "Firearms are very unevenly distributed around the world. The image we have of certain regions such as Africa or Latin America being awash with weapons -- these images are certainly misleading," Small Arms Survey director Keith Krause said.
    "Weapons ownership may be correlated with rising levels of wealth, and that means we need to think about future demand in parts of the world where economic growth is giving people larger disposable income," he told a Geneva news conference.
    The report, which relied on government data, surveys and media reports to estimate the size of world arsenals, estimated there were 650 million civilian firearms worldwide, and 225 million held by law enforcement and military forces.

Five years ago, the Small Arms Survey had estimated there were a total of just 640 million firearms globally.
    "Civilian holdings of weapons worldwide are much larger than we previously believed," Krause said, attributing the increase largely to better research and more data on weapon distribution networks.
    Only about 12 percent of civilian weapons are thought to be registered with authorities.
    © Reuters 2007. All Rights Reserved.

State Researcher

Post imported post

We're number 1! We're number 1!

Post imported post

This is an outrage.

If there is only one gun for every seven people in the world, we have a long way to go before getting the other six people armed...

:celebrate

In all seriousness, though, I don't see how having the largest civilian arsenal is a bad thing... just ensures that Washington doesn't go the way of London and Beijing.

Post imported post

Wynder wrote:
    We're number 1! We're number 1!
    And if any of us have anything to say about it, that's how it's going to stay

Post imported post

"Weapons ownership may be correlated with rising levels of wealth, and that means we need to think about future demand in parts of the world where economic growth is giving people larger disposable income," he told a Geneva news conference.

Is this guy looking at businesss oppportunities or saying that we need to keep the poor "in place and under foot"?

Post imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
    [url]http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=topNews&storyid=2007-08-28T174254Z_01_L28348938_RTRUKOC_0_US-WORLD-FIREARMS.xml&src=rss&rpc=22&sp=true[url]

By Laura MacInnis
    GENEVA (Reuters) - The United States has 90 guns for every 100 citizens, making it the most heavily armed society in the world, a report released on Tuesday said.

Only about 12 percent of civilian weapons are thought to be registered with authorities.

Why on earth would a person want to "register" a gun with authorities? 100% of the legally owned guns in AZ are unregistered - there's no place to register them!

Post imported post

mzbk2l wrote:
    Doug Huffman wrote:

By Laura MacInnis

Why on earth would a person want to "register" a gun with authorities? 100% of the legally owned guns in AZ are unregistered - there's no place to register them!
    Because gun owners never have anything to hide? Don't you know that? No world government has ever used gun registration as a means to confiscate guns from formerly law-abiding citizens. Oh, wait...

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Look at the obverse of the 'logic,' no government has ever used gun registration to increase freedom or to make sure that more guns are in the hand of the people.

Either we are equal or we are ntot. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA *******

State Researcher

Post imported post

Doug Huffman wrote: ^^Clickified^^

I read about this in the Modesto Bee (front page) today.

On one hand, I'm glad we're the most armed country in the world.

On the other hand, I'm saddened that our per capita is so low. While there may be 9 guns for every 10 citizens, I realize that many gun owners own more than 1 gun. So, those 9 guns are probably owned by 4 or 5 out of those 10 people. This means that probably 50-60% of the population is unarmed.
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org

Don't Tread On Me.

Post imported post

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,294976,00.html

"The figures dispel the idea that gun ownership and high levels of violence necessarily go hand in hand, he said.

"There's no clear relationship between more guns and higher levels of violence," Krause ( director of the Geneva-based group, Keith Krause) said, pointing to low ownership and high crime rates in Latin America."

You left out the most important point made by the study. Pete

Post imported post

This was good news and bad news. Good news that we have more arms per person than any other country in the world making us #1, but bad news that we have not yet reached a level of 1 gun per person. Come on all, we can do better than that! If all US gun owners buy 1 more gun than we can exceed the minimum target of 1 gun per person. Since I only have 2 guns, I'm planning to buy at least 2 more sometime this year. Tell all your friends to go buy at least 1 more gun so that the next report will reveal that we have enough guns to arm ALL of us.

Post imported post

swift wrote:
    This was good news and bad news. Good news that we have more arms per person than any other country in the world making us #1, but bad news that we have not yet reached a level of 1 gun per person. Come on all, we can do better than that! If all US gun owners buy 1 more gun than we can exceed the minimum target of 1 gun per person. Since I only have 2 guns, I'm planning to buy at least 2 more sometime this year. Tell all your friends to go buy at least 1 more gun so that the next report will reveal that we have enough guns to arm ALL of us.
    I think a better goal would be one gun per person, but excluding .22, 9mm, and smaller.

Post imported post

Wooo Hooo, we're #1!! Now we need to get the rest of the population armed.If everyone was armed we would have little need forpolice.

Post imported post

swift wrote:
    bad news that we have not yet reached a level of 1 gun per person. Come on all, we can do better than that!
    I am happy to say I have done my part! With 4 people in my household, and 12 firearms under the roof, I am at a 3 gun to 1 person ratio!

Even my 4 year old daughter has her own rifle. I guess I could start arming the homeless?

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

Post imported post

I hope the wife does not read this, but i think i have 90 all to my self. I could loan some out if we ever have to, bring your own ammo ha ha. mtn Jack

Post imported post

Great work Sgt Jensen & Mtn Jack, you have done a great service to our country, keep up the good work, you're doing better than me so far. America needs more patriots like yourselves. We must hang together or we will hang separately!

If the not nearly a Million Moms or the Brady bunch want my guns, they'll have to take them from my cold dead hands, because there is no way I'm handing them over.

Post imported post

I used this article last night to present in my intro to sociology course... I cited it to explain how guns obviously can't equal violence, and how there are economical and cultural factors that play a much more significant role than availability. Think I may have gotten a few people to sway toward our side...

Post imported post

Mtn Jack wrote:
    i think i have 90 all to my self.
    Happy for you!
    Sad for me...
    :X Wait a minute...
    :shock: Did he say 90?!?:what:

Look, I snuck into Mtn Jack's home and took this photo!
    Even that dosen't look like 90.
    Maybe 10 strategically located within his home??? :P

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

Post imported post

Great work. We can only win the war one battle at a time.

imperialism2024 wrote:
    I used this article last night to present in my intro to sociology course... I cited it to explain how guns obviously can't equal violence, and how there are economical and cultural factors that play a much more significant role than availability. Think I may have gotten a few people to sway toward our side...

Post imported post

At the moment, I'm also taking two criminal justice classes, mostly for use to defend myself against the ever-more-encroaching police state. But, as the majority in these classes are future LEOs, I try to de-criminalize guns by providing proper firearms laws for PA, as my instructors seem to avoid mentioning them...

swift wrote:
    Great work. We can only win the war one battle at a time.

imperialism2024 wrote: