• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

U.S. most armed country with 90 guns per 100 people

imperialism2024

imported post

This is an outrage.

If there is only one gun for every seven people in the world, we have a long way to go before getting the other six people armed...

:celebrate

In all seriousness, though, I don't see how having the largest civilian arsenal is a bad thing... just ensures that Washington doesn't go the way of London and Beijing.

AtackDuck

imported post

"Weapons ownership may be correlated with rising levels of wealth, and that means we need to think about future demand in parts of the world where economic growth is giving people larger disposable income," he told a Geneva news conference.

Is this guy looking at businesss oppportunities or saying that we need to keep the poor "in place and under foot"?

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
^^Clickified^^

I read about this in the Modesto Bee (front page) today.

On one hand, I'm glad we're the most armed country in the world.

On the other hand, I'm saddened that our per capita is so low. While there may be 9 guns for every 10 citizens, I realize that many gun owners own more than 1 gun. So, those 9 guns are probably owned by 4 or 5 out of those 10 people. This means that probably 50-60% of the population is unarmed.

spy1

imported post

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,294976,00.html

"The figures dispel the idea that gun ownership and high levels of violence necessarily go hand in hand, he said.

"There's no clear relationship between more guns and higher levels of violence," Krause ( director of the Geneva-based group, Keith Krause) said, pointing to low ownership and high crime rates in Latin America."

You left out the most important point made by the study. Pete

swift

imported post

This was good news and bad news. Good news that we have more arms per person than any other country in the world making us #1, but bad news that we have not yet reached a level of 1 gun per person. Come on all, we can do better than that! If all US gun owners buy 1 more gun than we can exceed the minimum target of 1 gun per person. Since I only have 2 guns, I'm planning to buy at least 2 more sometime this year. Tell all your friends to go buy at least 1 more gun so that the next report will reveal that we have enough guns to arm ALL of us. :)

imperialism2024

imported post

swift wrote:
This was good news and bad news. Good news that we have more arms per person than any other country in the world making us #1, but bad news that we have not yet reached a level of 1 gun per person. Come on all, we can do better than that! If all US gun owners buy 1 more gun than we can exceed the minimum target of 1 gun per person. Since I only have 2 guns, I'm planning to buy at least 2 more sometime this year. Tell all your friends to go buy at least 1 more gun so that the next report will reveal that we have enough guns to arm ALL of us. :)

I think a better goal would be one gun per person, but excluding .22, 9mm, and smaller.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

swift wrote:
bad news that we have not yet reached a level of 1 gun per person. Come on all, we can do better than that!

I am happy to say I have done my part! With 4 people in my household, and 12 firearms under the roof, I am at a 3 gun to 1 person ratio!

Even my 4 year old daughter has her own rifle. I guess I could start arming the homeless?

:monkey

Mtn Jack

imported post

I hope the wife does not read this, but i think i have 90 all to my self. I could loan some out if we ever have to, bring your own ammo ha ha. mtn Jack

swift

imported post

Great work Sgt Jensen & Mtn Jack, you have done a great service to our country, keep up the good work, you're doing better than me so far. America needs more patriots like yourselves. We must hang together or we will hang separately!

If the not nearly a Million Moms or the Brady bunch want my guns, they'll have to take them from my cold dead hands, because there is no way I'm handing them over.

imperialism2024

imported post

I used this article last night to present in my intro to sociology course... I cited it to explain how guns obviously can't equal violence, and how there are economical and cultural factors that play a much more significant role than availability. Think I may have gotten a few people to sway toward our side...

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Mtn Jack wrote:
i think i have 90 all to my self.
:) Happy for you!
:( Sad for me...
:X Wait a minute...
:shock: Did he say 90?!?:what:

Look, I snuck into Mtn Jack's home and took this photo!
Even that dosen't look like 90.
Maybe 10 strategically located within his home??? :p

home1.jpg

swift

imported post

Great work. We can only win the war one battle at a time. :)

imperialism2024 wrote:
I used this article last night to present in my intro to sociology course... I cited it to explain how guns obviously can't equal violence, and how there are economical and cultural factors that play a much more significant role than availability. Think I may have gotten a few people to sway toward our side...

imperialism2024

imported post

At the moment, I'm also taking two criminal justice classes, mostly for use to defend myself against the ever-more-encroaching police state. But, as the majority in these classes are future LEOs, I try to de-criminalize guns by providing proper firearms laws for PA, as my instructors seem to avoid mentioning them...

swift wrote:
Great work. We can only win the war one battle at a time. :)

imperialism2024 wrote: