• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Norfolk City Council Aftermath

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
I believe the only person whose behavior was truly reprehensible was Mr. Riddick, who, with childish petulence, left the meeting without hearing the complaints of his own citizens or those of VCDL in order to "protest the protest". He can't take the heat, so I hope the citizens take him out of the kitchen in the next election!
I agree. Riddick is a weak reed. Give the guy a little power and he gets so big-headed he won't tolerate anyone else's point of view. He would censor or cancel the city councilmeeting if he could. But he can't. So he flees--because he simply cannot take it. Weak. Very weak.

Censorious persons, when they do not have the power to censor based opon their whim, always leave. They lack the character and fairness to let the other side have their say.

Riddick should be kicked from office immediately.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The group says Chet Szmecki’s constitutional rights were violated, even though the charges against him were dropped. "

So, how do they not see a difference between violating constitutional rights and having charges brought? Two different issues.

Does someone need 9th grade Civics class again?

Reverend73

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Here's the hooters photo. Turned out pretty well I think.

hooters.jpg

Reverend73

Founder's Club Member
imported post

And I found out who this guy is

POS.jpg

He is Charles Hartig, Deputy City Clerk for Media Relations

councilupdate_front.jpg

Prior to the start of the meeting he was in the back watching all of the VCDL people walking in and I overheard him say to the EMT guy that the meeting "...is going to be a fu@#ingcircus!" Real professional that guy. :X

Reverend73

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Wow, I just read all the comments and my head is about to explode. I really loved this one:

Right cause wrong methods (hide comment)
While I have to agree that the second amendment is a right worth protecting, and that Norfolk's city government is broken on many levels, there is a wrong way and a right way to do things. The members of VCDL try to accomplish their goal with irresponsible tactics more often associated with people like Sarah Brady such as fact twisting and careful ommission. The one member who claims to have been "harrassed" twice leaves out that he was standing outside a bank for hours near closing time wearing BDUs a gun and a bandana like mask. Mr. Szymecki doesnt mention that he wasn't approached until he made a scene when he was refused alcohol. Carry your guns. Protect yourselves. Just dont make the rest of us gun owners look like fools when doing so
- N F - Norfolk Right cause wrong methods (view comment)

I would love to know where this guy gets his information. What a tool.

bayboy42

imported post

Ouch my eyes..............the 48 comments on the pilot page hurt my brain immensely.......luckily I finished all 48 before I ran out of duck tape!!:banghead::banghead::cuss::cuss:

I introduce for your viewing pleasure, the winner of the "Most absurd comment posted to date" award sponsored by bayboy42:

It was unnerving to watch the video of the mob who travelled to our city to rant in anger and insults our elected city council members. Its a shame our city lacks the legal right to protect itself from this intimidating goons, who rode into town exclusively to cause trouble. Hopefully these men's wives, who had the good sense to stay home, will see this stunt on local TV and force these men to stop embarassing themselves. Maybe someone should forward the video and log of speakers from the meeting to the Dept. of Homeland Security so they could run background checks and double check licenses on all these wing nuts. Now prepare yourselves for their orchestrated mass comment assault designed to make them appear like the majority.
- w s. - norfolk

Renegade

imported post

kimbercarrier wrote:
Since when did Chet state that he wanted alcohol or Dan wear bdu's and a bandana ? Am I slow or is this the first time I heard this?

Never.

To be honest I would bet you that it has been nearly a decade since I have had any alcohol...I enjoy a full glass of chilled Coke with seven ice cubes, thank you.

Although I have not spoke with danbus regarding this - let me go out on a limb and guess that he was NOT wearing a bandana as a face mask.

The VP poster is just someone looking to misinform and alter the truth.

JustACitizen

imported post

bayboy42 wrote:
snip..

I introduce for your viewing pleasure, the winner of the "Most absurd comment posted to date" award sponsored by bayboy42:

..........Hopefully these men's wives, who had the good sense to stay home, will see this stunt on local TV and force these men to stop embarassing themselves.........- w s. - norfolk

So... my wife used to think that me OCing was just OK. She tolerated it, didn't roll her eyes at me (anymore... :) ), she has now read all of thesecomments, news stories etc etc, and fully expects me to be OCing at all times. :) She asked about VCDL... I told her I have joined, the card should be in the mail soon, and she got up to check the mail. All in all, I think the 'wives that stayed home' might be a bit MORE supportive of us. :lol: Kudos to all who made it to the meeting! Let's hope it goes in the right direction!! (Next step, the wife OCing!!!)

JustACitizen - proud to be a new part of VCDL

Scheetz

imported post

This one cracks me up:

Jail The Gun Totters (hide comment)

Szymecki was looking for trouble at Haborfest. Where has he gone with a gun on his side other than Haborfest? Does he wear it to work,church,malls,etc. I don't think so. If 50,000 others at haborfest were to show up with guns on their side, it would be a blood bath. Can you imagine what will happen when thugs are allowed to carry gun. His family nor mine would be safe. The Council was too soft. Everyone who wore gun should have been thrown in jail. He says he's still sore, well his rear end should still have a foot in it.The hell with this particular state law.

I could handle 50,000 others carrying in 1 location. Sure as hell would be safer than anywhere else in the country.

I find it funny that he feels thugs will be able to carry guns soon. I wonder what would happen if someone finally told him they can..... under certain circumstances though.

Oh and the hooters picture with the girls. Going to need the numbers of the two blonds in the front :D

vt357

imported post

Inappropriate (hide comment)
If the law says that you can carry a gun to Harborfest, then the law is wrong. A large gathering of people in what is basically an open air public bar is no place for a handgun. Guns and alcohol do not mix...period. To the gun fans who drove across the state to yell at our council I say this...The Constitution of the United States gives you the right to bear arms to protect yourself from a tyrannical government. I agree with this right, however, if you feel that threatened, stay home in your underground bunker with all of your guns and ammo and canned food...You'll be safer there. Stay away from Harborfest. If you feel that Harborfest is so dnagerous that you need to be packing heat then why are you going in the first place? - Corey P. - Portsmouth

Pistols are not protected by the 2nd Amendment! (hide comment)
The 2nd Amendment never said anything about carrying pistols on our hips out of paranoid fear! Pistols weren't even a viable option, when the Bill Of Rights was written. If these '2nd Amendment Protagonists' would actually read the 2nd Amendment, they might discover that it was intended to "form a militia", to help us defend ourselves, in the event that we might be overtaken by a tyranical government (imagine that... we have!). Pistols/handguns were never on the table and they must be considered differently. Pistols are not even intended for hunting, much less forming a militia. Pistols/handguns are only intended to kill people, at close range... & statistics show that they do it very well... most often to their owners & their families! - John Chester - Virginia Beach

[sarcasm] So are these anti-gunners inadvertently advocating that instead of going down to speak to the city council in an orderly fassion as VCDL did, they should have left their handguns at home and brought assault rifles to overthrow the city council since it had become a tyranical government? [/sarcasm] Please - you can't have it both ways. That comment page is filled with some of the most ridiculous drivel I have ever read.

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I don't think it necessary for me to comment on the various points of view in the 70 or so responses, but what struck me was that the comments supporting civil rights and opposing out of control police and local government were for the most part cogent and civil. Many of the anti gun comments were truly vicious and insulting, off the point, and sometimes just plain ludicrous, not to mention factually inaccurate.

I much prefer the company of the folks here, and would not want to be at a public festival in the presence of some of the rabid and irrational people who posted their so-called rebuttals online.

The levels of ignorance, stupidity and incivility out there are really disheartening.

vtme_grad98

imported post

Reverend73 wrote:
Wow, I just read all the comments and my head is about to explode. I really loved this one:

Right cause wrong methods (hide comment)
While I have to agree that the second amendment is a right worth protecting, and that Norfolk's city government is broken on many levels, there is a wrong way and a right way to do things. The members of VCDL try to accomplish their goal with irresponsible tactics more often associated with people like Sarah Brady such as fact twisting and careful ommission. The one member who claims to have been "harrassed" twice leaves out that he was standing outside a bank for hours near closing time wearing BDUs a gun and a bandana like mask. Mr. Szymecki doesnt mention that he wasn't approached until he made a scene when he was refused alcohol. Carry your guns. Protect yourselves. Just dont make the rest of us gun owners look like fools when doing so
- N F - Norfolk Right cause wrong methods (view comment)

I would love to know where this guy gets his information. What a tool.

And everyone that was with danbus after the meeting knows just how ridiculous that claim is. The street corner where he waited is about 100 yards from the entrance of the bank building, and the bank is on the second floor. Granted, that's all irrelevant anyway, since it's not illegal to be armed near a bank....or in a bank.

Just dont make the rest of us gun owners look like fools when doing so
I wonder if that guy realizes that he's doing a perfectly good job of looking like a tool himself. Any bets on whether or not that poster is actually in the NPD?

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
... but what struck me was that the comments supporting civil rights and opposing out of control police and local government were for the most part cogent and civil. Many of the anti gun comments were truly vicious and insulting, off the point, and sometimes just plain ludicrous, not to mention factually inaccurate..

As is nearly always the case in my experiences.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Reverend73 wrote:

WoW! Just finished listening.

No wonder the sheeple are all worked up over the "VCDL riding into town". :lol:
How DARE you all go to city council and demand they obey the law and stop harassing law abiding citizens. What on earth are you gun nuts thinking?!? Don't you know your proper place? ;)

Kudos to all of you! :celebrate:monkey:celebrate