• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Backed up a Cop out of Nowhere

combatcarry

imported post

I admit its hard to follow this thread with so many deleted items.

It appears that he is trying to justify the use of deadly force because he was under the command of the officer.

76-2-404. Peace officer's use of deadly force.
(1) A peace officer, or any person acting by his command in his aid and assistance, is justified in using deadly force when
by acting by hiscommandin his aid and assistance, is justified in using deadly force.

I've always interpreted this section to mean the following: if the officer asks you to shoot someone, and you shoot them, it is justified. The situation doesn't matter. It is the cops butt for telling you to shoot someone.

This in no way gives you justification to shoot somebody just because you are aiding an officer. You are not a cop, just because you are helping one. :banghead:

I would have totally avoided the situation. I would consider a couple of kids on bullet bikes very little threat to anybody. But, I admit I wasn't in your shoes.

bayboy42

imported post

Ok, I'm done asking questions, I'll just make my point and be done with it.

UTOC, you put yourself in a posiition that could have (but luckily didn't) lead to some very serious legal troubles. Based on your original post, the officer never commanded, directed, instructed you to do anything or gave any other indication that he needed aid or assistance or that he was accepting your voluntary assistance. Based on your analysis and interpretationof this situation, anyone in Utah can just position themselves in the middle of a LEO stop and as long as the LEO doesn't immediately say anything to the contrary suddenly be "given" a different set of rules and guidelines to operate under. (which for those of you who missed it UTOC stated in one of his posts but then later deleted it). Do you really think Utah Code Section 76-2-404had situations like this in mind when it was penned. I'd say probably not.

Maybe look at the situation with an alternate ending...one that resulted in UTOC firing his weapon and hitting/killing one of the "bullet bikers"...which was later surrounded by questions from the community about whether the use of deadly force was justified. UTOC are you 100% sure that the officer would have then stated outright that Mr. UTOC was "acting bymy command in my aid and assistance"? I honestly don't think Utah Code Section 76-2-404 would provide ya much cover.

I'm sure some of you are sitting around saying Good Lord, whats bayboy's beef with this post.........nothing bad came of it.......yada yada yada....I'll go ahead and answer that now. I had about a two hour conversation last night after the Norfolk VA city council meeting with my wife who ain't what I would call a strong proponent of carrying guns. During this conversation, a large portion of the time was spent with me trying to dispel typical misconceptions that people who carry guns are more apt to enter into situations that they typically wouldn't....try to act like police/mall ninjas/ so on and so forth. So then UTOC posts this story so I'm positive when I get home tonight, I'll be met with a big "See I was right....did you read what UTOC-45-44 did when he went out to get the mail"?

I'm not expecting people to agree with everything I'm saying here, just see my point. I'm ok with with agreeing to disagree:lol:

There were two other posts made while i was typing that diatribe:

PaPatriot - so you are considering UTOC's statement of "He looked briefly my way and didn't Object." as meaning "he LEO acknowleged him and then he stood there awaiting direction of LEO ".

combatcarry - good to see you understand my point even before i got it all out.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Bayboy +1. Nothing wrong with helping out a cop in trouble, but be sure he's in trouble before "helping" him. I wasn't there, only UTOC was, so none of us can "pass judgement" on him. I believe bayboy was just offering some words of caution.

bayboy42

imported post

Exactly dngreer....please noone misconstrue my thoughts as passing judgement....especially in a situation that I was not there to experience first hand. "Words of caution" indeed.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
And all this time I thought open carry was to help protect the citizen from THEM !!!
Not all cops are evil! :) They are still fighting the "bad guys" for the most part.

imported post

dngreer wrote:
And all this time I thought open carry was to help protect the citizen from THEM !!!
Not all cops are evil! :) They are still fighting the "bad guys" for the most part.

Let me educate you right now. There are NO "good cops." ANY cop who stands by and ALLOWS the "bad cops" to violate citizens is just as guilty as the so-called "bad cops."

The apostle Paul expressed remorse for having watched as OTHERS stoned the prophet Stephan to death. While Paul didn't cast any stones, he DID admit to holding the cloaks of those who DID. In legal terms, your "good cops" are accessories during and/or after the fact.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

dngreer wrote:

Let me educate you right now. There are NO "good cops." ANY cop who stands by and ALLOWS the "bad cops" to violate citizens is just as guilty as the so-called "bad cops."

The apostle Paul expressed remorse for having watched as OTHERS stoned the prophet Stephan to death. While Paul didn't cast any stones, he DID admit to holding the cloaks of those who DID. In legal terms, your "good cops" are accessories during and/or after the fact.
Not true. I have friends who are LEOs, and they are good people. I understand what you are trying to say, but I disagree.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

bayboy42 wrote:
PaPatriot - so you are considering UTOC's statement of "He looked briefly my way and didn't Object." as meaning "he LEO acknowleged him and then he stood there awaiting direction of LEO ".

Yes, in the context of the OP's description (the way it is written) that is the only to interpret it.

And, in the context of the event, the LEO's lack of objection = consent. Clearly if he did not want him to assist he would instruct him not to or step back etc.

I don't disagree, in general, with any of your points other than your apparent misunderstanding of the terms mentioned "acting by hiscommandin his aid and assistance"

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Anyone have a copy of the OP? Pls send it to me via PM.

I missed the whole thing!

Must've been real embarrassing if UTOC erased it ALL. :shock:

imported post

dngreer wrote:
dngreer wrote:

Not true. I have friends who are LEOs, and they are good people. I understand what you are trying to say, but I disagree.
Yea, "good people." And I'm sure the Third Reich was also full of "good people." It's just that they were working for the wrong employer, right? You can disagree all you want, there STILL are no "good cops." I'm constantly amazed at how many Amerikans refuse to face reality..............to do so would require they admit what they've believed all their lives is wrong. Pride won't allow it........

UTOC-45-44

imported post

dngreer wrote:
dngreer wrote:

Yea, "good people." And I'm sure the Third Reich was also full of "good people." It's just that they were working for the wrong employer, right? You can disagree all you want, there STILL are no "good cops." I'm constantly amazed at how many Amerikans refuse to face reality..............to do so would require they admit what they've believed all their lives is wrong. Pride won't allow it........
So...why these "warm fuzzies":lol: towards LEO's mark edward marchiafava???