• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Campus Carry - Still against it? Breaking News

BIG SHAFE

imported post

I was in the Engineering and Science building when the fire alarms went off around 8AM. I hurried up and packed my stuff, although the 4 or 5 times the alarm has went off previously, they have been accidents. I expected the same, and didn't rush like there wasn't a fire, but knew there could be some type of emergency. Upon exiting the building though I noticed that there were Akron Police around the exits, so I knew something was up.

I had a class in another building so I went there. I got out around 9:30AM and could see the Channel 3 news chopper hovering around. I then heard it was a bomb threat and that they were going to search the building with dogs/etc. I sure hope there isn't much propellant residue on my bag as I have used it for carrying firearms to the range/friends house and use it for books/laptop at school. They might actually find something, albeit miniscule.

I then realized I couldn't go back and get my lunch cooler that had my drinks/snacks/etc. I guess it's fast food today as they said the building would be closed down for a few hours and I had to go to work right after my next class. I guess I will have to wait for Friday, when I have class again. Good thing I didn't have anything perishable.

I went to my next class and see they have taped off the main walkways to the building. So I had to walk around and through another building to get to another building where my class was. I get out of that class about an hour later and see that the building is still on lockdown. I also see the professors, who's offices are in that building, standing around waiting. They have been waiting for about 3 hours and may have to wait longer, if not all day.

This is the second time I've been in an University of Akron building with a bomb threat. The first was at the Wayne branch in Orrville. Odd how I was thinking about being completely unsafe after VT and I can't carry on Monday.

Another reason to carry, I think.
icon_sad.gif

News Channel 3 Link

dng

State Researcher
imported post

It is a scary situation, and another good reason to be allowed to carry. But I got to thinking, suppose the person who sent the threat actually decided to do it. I don't know how much good having a firearm will do in that situation unless you encounter the person setting up the bomb. Even then would happen if you fired and the bullet impacted the bomb. Would it set it off? Don't get me wrong, I do believe that allowing people to have a way to defend themselves is a good idea, I just don't know if you would be able to prevent a tragedy such as a bomb explosion.

BIG SHAFE

imported post

dngreer wrote:
It is a scary situation, and another good reason to be allowed to carry. But I got to thinking, suppose the person who sent the threat actually decided to do it. I don't know how much good having a firearm will do in that situation unless you encounter the person setting up the bomb. Even then would happen if you fired and the bullet impacted the bomb. Would it set it off? Don't get me wrong, I do believe that allowing people to have a way to defend themselves is a good idea, I just don't know if you would be able to prevent a tragedy such as a bomb explosion.
I meant it for the crazies who call/e-mail the bomb threat that have no merit. This person is roaming around campus, most likely. What else might they do?

dng

State Researcher
imported post

BIG SHAFE wrote:
I meant it for the crazies who call/e-mail the bomb threat that have no merit. This person is roaming around campus, most likely. What else might they do?
"What else might they do?" That is a very scary question. I do think it is wise to have a way to stop someone if they go crazy and do something stupid. I just saying there is only so much we can do to stop something like a bombing, and that is even more scary to me, because it is something very few of us could control or stop.

BIG SHAFE

imported post

Right, carrying/not carrying either way isn't beneficial in this particularsituation, but this situation can lead to others where carrying may be effective.

FaithEsther

imported post

If any of y'all or students, or professors who can influence students, please let them know that the empty holster protest is coming up organized by students for concealed carry on campus. (concealedcampus.com) I will be the campus organizer where I'm going to nursing school in Ohio, and we need all the help we can get. If you decide to take part, get the press releases off the web site and send to local media. I will be doing it on Monday, Wednsday, and Friday, Oct. 22, 24, 26.