• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Last cent ever spent at Bobs

D

Desertdoc

imported post

First i would like to say im sorry for taking so long to sit down and write about this but i had to work tonight. That and it has given me a chance to calm down, which hasn't worked. Today i went into Bobs gun shop located on Graby St. here in Norfolk. Along with me was a good friend of mine ready to spend $3000.00 on a new rifle. After seeing Robert (the owner) I said hi and told him he had missed one hell of a meeting last night. (Knowing that he is a VCDL member and a local gun shop owner i was kinda supervised that no one from his staff was there) His response shocked me and appalled me. He stated "I have been apologizing for the VCDL all day". The City council has done so much for us. They gave us the gun shows back in Norfolk and so on. In no way does he condone what was said or how it was said to the citycounsel". Like i stated before this shocked me. I understand being a business owner in the city of Norfolk you sometimes need to keep peace with the devil, but not sale your soul. For someone that has made a living on the 2nd amendment and the need for someone to have a firearm for self protection it really surprises me that he would see no harm in the harassment of a law abiding citizen. I for one will never spend a dime in his store. I pulled my friend out before he ordered the rifle and we are looking elsewhere. Two other friends are returning items bought yesterday and will buy them someone else. Ok.. Im done ranting. Just had to get it off my chest.

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

bayboy42 wrote:
check your pms doc
Sure he's upset, but I doubt it's PMS. ;)(...just a little joke, guys)

Seriously, Desertdoc, I'm certainly surprised to hear Bob taking that position, as he's been a VCDL supporter in the past. I don't blame you for being stunned by Bob statements.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Appologizing to who?
Do the members of the irrationally anti-OC "glocktalk.com" shop at Bob's?

Seriously though... He seems pretty typical of gunshop owners. Sad, but true. He values the percieved good that the city councel has granted his business while turning a blind eye to the illegal oppression and violation of your compatriots in arms rights..

Pffft. I'd say "AMF, Bob!"

Although maybe he has a misconstrued percepton of what the meeting was about and the circumstances about the events leading up to it... Very possible with the anti-gun press reporting things. Did you ask?

unrequited

imported post

Obviously it's not every shop owner, but once the sale's made, I doubt that every gun store owner cares what's done with the firearm, whether or not it's OC'ed, CC'ed, or vaulted for target shooting... So in that respect, I wouldn't expect any loyalty as long as the issue at hand doesn't concern the selling of firearms.

vtme_grad98

imported post

I stopped spending my money at Bob's a long time ago for similar reasons. My poor opinion started when I was taking my CHP class there...from a guy that was pathetically unknowledgable about state laws on firearm possession. It grew when I saw how lax they were in monitoring what went on in their range, which was especially shocking when you factor in the cameras they have on the range.

The clincher for me was around August 2004, when I was discussing the full state preemption with them. It wasn't upsetting that they didn't have a clue what I was talking about; that part was just shocking, considering what they did for a living. What was upsetting, and fairly offensive to me, was the attitude that they copped with me about it. Having people who are too lazy to stay informed about laws that affect the product they sell talk down to me like I'm an idiot, while I'm pondering spending money there, was just more than I felt like stomaching.

Fortunately for me, I have a coworker with an FFL. With the exception of products that I can buy at Bass Pro, he can match or beat the prices of most stores here anyway. Better still is that, even when he can't, I don't have to hear some ex-cop prove that he's an idiot as I wait on the background check to go through...something I've had happen at 3 of the 4 gun stores I'm familiar with in Southside Hampton Roads.

I may prefer the setup of the range at A&P in Lynnhaven to the others around here. But there's a good reason why my wife and I prefer the people that work at the Superior range. At least everyone I deal with there knows the difference between opinion and fact, and is smart enough to keep their mouths shut if they aren't sure of their facts.

OBXMIKE

imported post

I haven't been in Bob's for several months. Last time I was in there just poking around, listening to one of his counter guys lecture a prospective buyer on why OC is really stupid and should be banned...???????

Well, you either stand FOR the 2nd, or AGAINST it. There is no middle ground.

I'm disappointed Bob feels this way.

+1 for the crew at Superior.......Jeff does a fine job as RO, and Mitch appreciates his customers.

I might just go shoot a few rounds at lunch today! :monkey

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

What is it with Bob? He spent some nice change catering the Norfolk VCDL meeting last summer and now he's bad-mouthing us. What's wrong with this picture?

:question:

VCDL President

Centurion
imported post

Wow - I'm speechless at Bob's comments! :shock:

He wasn't there and probably has no idea what was said or how Council behaved. The media didn't capture the mood very well.

Yep - great bunch of guys and gals, that Norfolk City Council!

taurusfan

imported post

I thought handgun prices are high in Bob's. When I first saw how much ammo they had upstairs I thought I'd found the greatest gun store in Virginia, until I saw the prices. I didn't see any bargains anywhere in that store.

You guys ought to head over to The Armory at 5313 Indian River Rd in Virginia, Beach.

bayboy42

imported post

Taurasfan - i think thats the only post that you've ever made that makes sense to most people :lol: I couldn't agree more.

Bob's "deals" are typically more then you can find shopping around. My parents bought me 1000 rds of ammo from him for x-mas last year and accidentally left the receipt taped to the box.......when I saw the total, I felt so bad i tried to figure out a way to repay them for the difference in price between normal, and what Bob's charged them.:what:

sjhipple

imported post

It's probably not a good idea for him to make enemies with City Council. Is it a good idea to cut all ties to a guy who has supported VCDL in the past...even if he's not "pure?" A friend is better than an enemy. I feel both ways about it.

I've had very good experiences with Clark Bros. Gun Shop in Warrenton. They're very helpful...and they have a free range. I've never talked politics with them as they seem to steer clear of that subject (probably not a bad business move).

I shop there since I don't know of any gun stores in No. Va.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I can understand Bob's reluctance to make "enemies" on the council. If the city is as corrupt as I now suspect it to be, he probably needs their good graces. But that doesn't mean he has to bad-mouth us. If he were to stay politically neutral, I could understand that, but to favor us by reserving and catering a room at the Radisson last year, then recently telling customers he had to "apologize for us all day" suggests that he's trying to play both sides of the street. And as Philip pointed out, he wasn't even there to see what really went down.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

And by the way, I have also had good service and found fair prices at The Armory. Just get off 64 at Indian River Rd, go down maybe a mile. They are on the right, in the back of a parking lot at the corner of Indian River Rd and Kempsville. They recently expanded to more than twice their old size, which suggests they must be doing a good business and getting repeat customers.

Tell 'em Bob's Guns sent ya. :celebrate

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

sjhipple wrote:
I shop there since I don't know of any gun stores in No. Va.
Dawsons (US 1 at the North end of Woodbridge)
Gilberts (Terminal Rd, off exit 166A of 95)
Guns & Ammo Warehouse - Manassas
Dominion Arms - Manassas
Blue Ridge Arsenal (never been there) - Chantilly
Potomac Arms (never been there) - Alexandria

I think I heard Shooters Paradise (US1, north end of Woodbridge) was going to reopen this fall, but I can't recall where or when I heard.

Betcha others come up with a lot I don't know about. And this ignores the Dick's Sporting Goods (Fairfax, Alexandria, elsewhere?) and Gander Mountain in Fredericskburg.

EDITED to report I didn't see your other post until after I responded here. Sorry.

mlands

imported post

I have OCed at Guns and Ammo and Dominion Arms a number of times. They didn't have a problem with OCing in their store as long as your gun stayed holstered. I can certainly understand that gun safety policy as to avoid accidents and liability. Especially those who OC and but have very limited gun safety knowledge.

zoom6zoom

imported post

Potomac Arms (never been there) - Alexandria
And you won't, because they're long gone.

I've had good experiences at the Armory. Another I like down that way is Tidewater Military Traders. Not much for ammo, but great if you're into milsurps. OC was fine in both locations.

Regarding Shooters, this is from a post on their forum by one of their staff, on 8/5
Hey everyone, The sad thing is you guys know just as much as I do. When it is rebuilt it will be a store and range from my understanding. Time frame for rebuild is not in the immediate future. We are talking a year down the road. That is all I know. Clayton Clyburn
They are doing business on the net and "by appointment" from a temporary location up in Springfield. http://www.shootersparadise.com/newweb/

Kevin108

imported post

Gun show prices aren't great when you add the BS 3% card fee they love to toss around. Used stuff on Gunbroker looks like a deal until you pay for shipping and the FFL transfer. The Armory has decent list prices but they've never had what I wanted on the shelf and have never known when they could get one.

At Bob's I've always had top notch customer service and found very fair prices considering every new gun I get comes with a year's range membership.

I may burn the audio from the city council meeting to a CD and take it to Robert so he knows the real story.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I think its a good idea to give Bob the audio. Perhaps while you're at it, you could print out the original threads by Dan, Brian and Chet so Bob can read all the details about what happened to these men. All that still won't give him an idea of just how arrogant and dismissive the council members were. (And don't get me started on that Riddick buffoon....)