• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to open carry

Kbrake

imported post

I just discovered this forum a couple of days ago. I have some beginner questions to ask. I have a CHL but only for about a month. I am not sure if I want to open carry. This concept is so new to me that I guess I am not really sure although I can see some advantages such as getting your gun out without it getting tangled in your shirt which is covering it.

The question is this. Does state premption over ride the local laws for open carry as well as concealed carry? Are there restrictions? Are there places that you cannot open carry? Am I going to get my ass kicked by every cop who sees me open carrying?

These are just some random questions I have. I have to decide how I really want to carry but for now I will keep it concealed.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Poke thru the Ohio discussion threads - you will see that Ohio law is now clear - full preemption against local bans on OC on foot, even if you have no concealed permit.

Thanks for joining the OC world!

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Kbrake wrote:
Does state premption over ride the local laws for open carry as well as concealed carry?
Yes. HB 347. Buckeye Firearm Association and the NRA-ILA have some good information on this.
Are there restrictions?
Best to follow the CCW restrictions even when OCing
Are there places that you cannot open carry?
Best to follow CCW restrictions when OCing
Am I going to get my ass kicked by every cop who sees me open carrying?
No, and if for some reason that would happen, the city would probably be looking at an expensive lawsuit. This is a good website to be able to see what Ohio law is. Welcome to OC!
http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923

Kbrake

imported post

Thank you guys for the welcome and the help. Ohio has a good start in regards to carrying firearms. This fall my produce some even better laws for us.