Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E-Mails Save Lives????

Some where in Rockbridge County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Post imported post

Actually.. I have a better idea. Since this would not inform everyone as some could have dead batteries or left the phones at home...

I say they should get an emergency warning siren!!

Every time a guy walks up with a gun... they can hit the button to warn the entire community!!!

Post imported post

They aren't thinking clearly, and they apparently don't know that not all emails are very speedy. I wouldn't want to count on a warning email to save my life.

Post imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
    Actually.. I have a better idea. Since this would not inform everyone as some could have dead batteries or left the phones at home...

Every time a guy walks up with a gun... they can hit the button to warn the entire community!!!
    I believe you mean every time a guy walks up using a gun. Many of walk around carrrying guns all the time and would not appreciate having the air raid siren sound off everytime we chose to do so.

Post imported post

67GT390FB wrote:
    LEO 229 wrote:

I believe you mean every time a guy walks up using a gun. Many of walk around carrrying guns all the time and would not appreciate having the air raid siren sound off everytime we chose to do so.
    HAHA!! I was being funny and letting them take it to the extreme!

Post imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
    67GT390FB wrote:
    LEO 229 wrote:

Don't worry, some of limited imagination are very myopic in regards to intentionalsarcasm.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Because of the risk of misinterpretation 'humor' has no legitimate place in public/political rhetoric.

leo666 wrote:
    Your a dnab Nazi!

Awww, I wuz jus' funnin' ya!
    The conspiracy of ignorance masquerades as common sense.

Post imported post

I am not a guru on the subject but I would think that the schools would have some issue with the students having the ringers on the phone turned on during class. What if they do not feel the vibes from the phone. This is a stupid attempt at an answer to the problem. Allow the carry of guns IAW the laws of the state.

Post imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
    Because of the risk of misinterpretation 'humor' has no legitimate place in public/political rhetoric.

leo666 wrote:
    Your a dnab Nazi!

Awww, I wuz jus' funnin' ya!
    The conspiracy of ignorance masquerades as common sense.

Where was this posted?

Alexandria (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Asked Kaine to show some leadership - Thats a waste of time. He has that same liberal duty to retreat, cut and runmindset that contribute to things like this.This is the kindash.t you get from the Mayor of Washington DC. I though Virginia was a step above DC.

Email will save your life.If someone reads them and take them serious. If the email system don't crash, like most do all the time. Who the hell got time to write an emailwhen they are getting shot at, remind me of the Great save your life dependable and fast 911. Blam Blam... hey what that number I need to dial now Blam Blam.... You GOT email, your options are.

Praise the lord and Pass the ammo.

Post imported post

tarzan1888 wrote:
    LEO 229 wrote:
    67GT390FB wrote:
    LEO 229 wrote:

Don't worry, some of limited imagination are very myopic in regards to intentionalsarcasm.

Me Bwana Joe you Tarzan. Bwana Joe make fun of Bwana LEO 229 statement. Didn't call LEO 229 stupid reject mall ninja. Tarzan need take off Mr Magoo glasses and play with . Maybe you one needexpand imagination.

Post imported post

67GT390FB wrote:
    tarzan1888 wrote:
    LEO 229 wrote:
    67GT390FB wrote:
    LEO 229 wrote:

Me Bwana Joe you Tarzan. Bwana Joe make fun of Bwana LEO 229 statement. Didn't call LEO 229 stupid reject mall ninja. Tarzan need take off Mr Magoo glasses and play with . Maybe you one needexpand imagination.

That proves you have a sense of humor.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

67GT390FB wrote:
    Ho ho ho. That was clearly funny.

Post imported post

Yeah, VCU made it mandatory to put a "what to do in an emergency" section in our class syllabi. Here's what they say:

What to Know and Do To Be Prepared for Emergencies at VCU
    1. Sign up to receive VCU text messaging alerts (http://www.vcu.edu/alert/notify). Keep your information
    up-to-date.
    2. Know the safe evacuation route from each of your classrooms. Emergency evacuation routes are posted in on-campus classrooms.
    3. Listen for and follow instructions from VCU or other designated authorities.
    4. Know where to go for additional emergency information (http://www.vcu.edu/alert).
    5. Know the emergency phone number for the VCU Police (828-1234). Report suspicious activities and objects.

Like that will help much. I wonder what will be better at saving my life. A text message, or a .45...hmm....

Post imported post

A giant tree branch, perhaps?

I just wonder if Blue Ridge Community College still lets people with CHP permits carry? I wonder which colleges and universities in Virginia let CHP holders carry?

Post imported post

LEO 229 wrote:

VCU actually has installed a siren on each campus, have yet to hear it or be told what I am listening for. :what:

State Researcher

Post imported post

I think the email saves lives is actually and alterior motive by cellular phone companies to up their text message revenue!

Blackberry-ers beware!

Maybe they could create a gun that can receive email alerts -- It could tell you when to shoot.

Post imported post

I didnt read the link...but here at vcu here is what they have done to make us sooooo much safer. You can sign up for emergency text messaging so they text you if something is happeneing...even though some classes deduct points from your participation grade if your phone goes off in class because you did not silence it or turn it off before hand....slightly contradictory. I don't think they quite have all of that rigged up, but they are close. Anyway, I also heard they are going to use sirens that have not been tested since WW2 that will be tested mid September. So soothing to know how much safer I will be once these two measures are in full effect!@:celebrate....

Post imported post

My University of Maryland campus tested their emergency alert system at 8am on a saturday morning. Speakers blaring from the top of the library, heard by everyone within a 2 mile radius, and everyone was hungover and stumbling out of the dorms in their pajamas.

It wasn't an air raid siren and it wasn't someone speaking. It sounded more like a car alarm, but 10 times as loud.

Everyone was pissed off that they did it on a Saturday morning. And if they had set the alarm off while a Cho was on the quad with an automatic gun, he would of mowed down hundreds of people while they stumbled out of the dorms trying to figure out what in blazes was going on. So yeah, I imagine it's extremely effective.

Post imported post

I saw this in Yahoo News today, it's about an E-mail outage. So what if something like an e-mail outage happens to the Tech Alert system? http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070908/...ckberry_outage

Post imported post

So I just got this email from VCU:

September 12, 2007 To the University and Health System Communities:
    At noon on September 19, 2007, VCU will conduct a test of emergency sirens on its Monroe Park and MCV Campuses. The two, 130-decibel sirens will wail for 1-minute and then sound a 30-second "all clear" even tone to end the test.
    The sirens will be tested along with text messages, digital signs, computer desktop alerts, e-mails and Web site information that are part of an enhanced, rapid, multi-level system for communicating emergency information to students, VCU employees, parents and neighbors.
    In a real emergency, sirens will sound to signal that an immediate, life-threatening emergency has occurred or is imminent. When a siren sounds, people in a campus building should remain where they are and seek additional information about what is happening and how to respond. People on campus but outside should go to the nearest university building and seek additional information about what is happening. People off-campus should not come to campus but should seek additional information.
    Text messaging will be VCU's primary channel for rapid communications and information. Text messages will be used for notifications about emergencies and closings and delays for inclement weather. There is no cost for enrolling. If you haven't done so already, I urge you to sign up for text messaging now at http://www.vcu.edu/alert/notify .
    Emergency information also will be available on the VCU Alert Web site at http://www.vcu.edu/alert , on digital screens in major academic buildings and all residence halls on both campuses, through desktop alert messages, and through e-mails to everyone with a VCU e-mail account.
    Our efforts to notify you in the case of an emergency will only be successful if you make yourself available for the information by signing up for text messaging and referring to the VCU Alert Web site, the digital signs and other emergency communications channels. With your participation and assistance, we will do all we can to keep VCU's campuses safe and secure.
    Sincerely,

John M. Bennett
    Senior Vice President for Finance and Administration

"When a siren sounds, people in a campus building should remain where they are and seek additional information about what is happening and how to respond."

^Yeah, I'm just going to sit around while some maniac goes into my building and starts spraying. I really don't get it sometimes...

Post imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
    Even better, the crazy with the gun can hit the sirens, as a public service....

Considering how many junk emails I get everyday, and how prolific phising has become, I wonder how long it will take until someone with a sick sense of humour starts sending out fake email alerts about crazies.

http://www.doshelp.com/scams-fraud/Banking/index.html

I mean, I get enough of this BS in my inbox. What's to stop someone from faking a VTech email?
    http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/5...board01gj5.png
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Alexandria (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA

Post imported post

You know it must be some profit to be a bad guy in this world. When Idiots come up with these ideas to save you from them.

Who knows what an 130 db siren sound like maybe sounds like a 10, 50, 70 , 100, etc? and how many "student minded" students and liberal minded teachersare gonna care beyond it is a nusiance. Some folks don't want to be protected when it becomes a hassle. Just like my "student minded" University of Texas at San Antonioson say allabout this is"Dad it's all cool". I just, all the money I send that schooland thats all he can say.

All the BG gotta do is look at the bulletin board and internet for alarm test to plan a time. All the students can sound the alarm too.... how many will be real. Wait till the network fails which is probably often. Pretty soon thestudent won't pay attention to this siren, network email or anything,maybeafter first but after that who cares. I would love to see one of the emails,text message now since anybody on the internet probaly can see them include the BG.

The shooter a scruffy lookin dude....Duck Duck...Don't resist cooperate hold your hands high...Be Calm...The Police are on the way...Call 911...OJ on the loose...don't taze me bro.

The Idiot that came up with planis probably getting paid a lot of money for their expertsecurityplan. Pay me themoney to come up simpleopen carry and concealed carry as a solution. At least the bad guymight have a second thought about doing anything with intention of hissurvival. Can't stop a suicide mission only make their suicide come faster than they intend.

I just can't write all thethings that come to mind on this, it istoo much.

People who want to protect themselves are going tohave to look at their ownpersonal protection rather than whollydepend on police and especiallythese hair brainedideas.

I got a friend who daughter goes to VCU, I pray she fare safe at VCU.

Post imported post

From what I heard on the news, students at VCU didn't know what the sirens were for. Most thought it was something not connected with the campus. :what:

I'd sure hate to be a student at one of these places at the mercy of a "gun free" zone. I believe it is safer to take college courses on-line from the comfort of a home that has some guns!

Post imported post

dichamw wrote:
    All the BG gotta do is look at the bulletin board and internet for alarm test to plan a time.¬* All the students can sound¬* the alarm too¬*.... how many will be real.
    :what:

I didn't even CONSIDER that angle.

I was more thinking about the fact the system could probably be disabled one alarm station at a time, and no one would notice.

Snip a wire here, snip a wire there. Do another one a few days later. Nobody would notice.

Then, some nutbag finishes his task of disabling the call stations, then he's free to do as he pleases.

Just like Jonesboro, just like Columbine, and just like VA Tech.

But not like Grundy, VA....
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast