• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

E-Mails Save Lives????

mercutio545

imported post

So I just got this email from VCU:

September 12, 2007 To the University and Health System Communities:
At noon on September 19, 2007, VCU will conduct a test of emergency sirens on its Monroe Park and MCV Campuses. The two, 130-decibel sirens will wail for 1-minute and then sound a 30-second "all clear" even tone to end the test.
The sirens will be tested along with text messages, digital signs, computer desktop alerts, e-mails and Web site information that are part of an enhanced, rapid, multi-level system for communicating emergency information to students, VCU employees, parents and neighbors.
In a real emergency, sirens will sound to signal that an immediate, life-threatening emergency has occurred or is imminent. When a siren sounds, people in a campus building should remain where they are and seek additional information about what is happening and how to respond. People on campus but outside should go to the nearest university building and seek additional information about what is happening. People off-campus should not come to campus but should seek additional information.
Text messaging will be VCU's primary channel for rapid communications and information. Text messages will be used for notifications about emergencies and closings and delays for inclement weather. There is no cost for enrolling. If you haven't done so already, I urge you to sign up for text messaging now at http://www.vcu.edu/alert/notify .
Emergency information also will be available on the VCU Alert Web site at http://www.vcu.edu/alert , on digital screens in major academic buildings and all residence halls on both campuses, through desktop alert messages, and through e-mails to everyone with a VCU e-mail account.
Our efforts to notify you in the case of an emergency will only be successful if you make yourself available for the information by signing up for text messaging and referring to the VCU Alert Web site, the digital signs and other emergency communications channels. With your participation and assistance, we will do all we can to keep VCU's campuses safe and secure.
Sincerely,

John M. Bennett
Senior Vice President for Finance and Administration

"When a siren sounds, people in a campus building should remain where they are and seek additional information about what is happening and how to respond."

^Yeah, I'm just going to sit around while some maniac goes into my building and starts spraying. I really don't get it sometimes...

AbNo

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Every time a guy walks up with a gun... they can hit the button to warn the entire community!!!

Even better, the crazy with the gun can hit the sirens, as a public service....

Considering how many junk emails I get everyday, and how prolific phising has become, I wonder how long it will take until someone with a sick sense of humour starts sending out fake email alerts about crazies.

http://www.doshelp.com/scams-fraud/Banking/index.html

I mean, I get enough of this BS in my inbox. What's to stop someone from faking a VTech email?
http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/5172/clipboard01gj5.png

dichamw

Alexandria (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA
imported post

You know it must be some profit to be a bad guy in this world. When Idiots come up with these ideas to save you from them.

Who knows what an 130 db siren sound like maybe sounds like a 10, 50, 70 , 100, etc? and how many "student minded" students and liberal minded teachersare gonna care beyond it is a nusiance. Some folks don't want to be protected when it becomes a hassle. Just like my "student minded" University of Texas at San Antonioson say allabout this is"Dad it's all cool". I just:banghead:, all the money I send that schooland thats all he can say:banghead:.

All the BG gotta do is look at the bulletin board and internet for alarm test to plan a time. All the students can sound the alarm too.... how many will be real. Wait till the network fails which is probably often. Pretty soon thestudent won't pay attention to this siren, network email or anything,maybeafter first but after that who cares. I would love to see one of the emails,text message now since anybody on the internet probaly can see them include the BG.

The shooter a scruffy lookin dude....Duck Duck...Don't resist cooperate hold your hands high...Be Calm...The Police are on the way...Call 911...OJ on the loose...don't taze me bro.

The Idiot that came up with planis probably getting paid a lot of money for their expertsecurityplan. Pay me themoney to come up simpleopen carry and concealed carry as a solution. At least the bad guymight have a second thought about doing anything with intention of hissurvival. Can't stop a suicide mission only make their suicide come faster than they intend.

I just can't write all thethings that come to mind on this, it istoo much.

People who want to protect themselves are going tohave to look at their ownpersonal protection rather than whollydepend on police and especiallythese hair brainedideas.

I got a friend who daughter goes to VCU, I pray she fare safe at VCU.

packingdressagerider

Some where in Rockbridge County, Virginia, USA
imported post

From what I heard on the news, students at VCU didn't know what the sirens were for. Most thought it was something not connected with the campus. :what:

I'd sure hate to be a student at one of these places at the mercy of a "gun free" zone. :banghead: I believe it is safer to take college courses on-line from the comfort of a home that has some guns!

AbNo

imported post

dichamw wrote:
All the BG gotta do is look at the bulletin board and internet for alarm test to plan a time.  All the students can sound  the alarm too .... how many will be real.

:what:

I didn't even CONSIDER that angle.

I was more thinking about the fact the system could probably be disabled one alarm station at a time, and no one would notice.

Snip a wire here, snip a wire there. Do another one a few days later. Nobody would notice.

Then, some nutbag finishes his task of disabling the call stations, then he's free to do as he pleases.

Just like Jonesboro, just like Columbine, and just like VA Tech.

But not like Grundy, VA....

dichamw

Alexandria (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA
imported post

AbNo wrote:
dichamw wrote:
All the BG gotta do is look at the bulletin board and internet for alarm test to plan a time. All the students can sound the alarm too.... how many will be real.

:what:

I didn't even CONSIDER that angle.

I was more thinking about the fact the system could probably be disabled one alarm station at a time, and no one would notice.

Snip a wire here, snip a wire there. Do another one a few days later. Nobody would notice.

Then, some nutbag finishes his task of disabling the call stations, then he's free to do as he pleases.

Just like Jonesboro, just like Columbine, and just like VA Tech.

But not like Grundy, VA....

You probably got a "student" or "students" right now thinking aboutit and are planning how to KO itor get passthis crapsystem for the hell of it ...orjust because it is fun ...orIt is ananti-rights system.... or this is school funor... hey animal house.

Just like the USF Muslim students with bombs in SouthCarolina driving around andForida Universitytazed dude, his crap might have been planned and hegot an unexpected reaction to his sh*tand the MIT student at the Boston Airport with the Bomb Art, it was just a project not real, she could have got her butt blown away. Then you think some times, how much of the stuff is actually real and did they just reallygot caughtand is it a "dry run"? I'm sorry to say some of these students are no different than "Cho" there are maybe some ticking time bombs out there, just like there are somewalking the streets and in our neighborhoods.

People and students that want be safe must be allowed to personally protect themselves. The US cannot protect its own citizen from inside andoutside threats and stupidity, how can a University protect it selfwhen it reflects the same kindinside and outside threats and stupidity?

I have increased my range time to get more better with my protection and I found my self buying up more ammo and stocking it...like the fear they are going to stop making it or restrict it next since it getting harder to restrict guns. Love my country but I gotta protect my self first....sorry that another thread.