• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't understand the question. :uhoh:

dng

State Researcher
imported post

I do think that more people are being educated and OC is becoming more common every day.

Kelly J

imported post

dngreer wrote:
I do think that more people are being educated and OC is becoming more common every day.

Aside from the places that have always had open carry can you provide a list of States that now allow the Open Carry of Weapons.

I live in Missouri, and we had a push last year for open carry, but that as far as I can tell, the Issue is temporarilly dead!

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Kelly J wrote:
dngreer wrote:

Aside from the places that have always had open carry can you provide a list of States that now allow the Open Carry of Weapons.

I live in Missouri, and we had a push last year for open carry, but that as far as I can tell, the Issue is temporarilly dead!

We cannot measure our success on a state level. True, a change in a state's policy on OC is evidence of success, but the real change happens on a personal level (changing people's opinion on guns, CCW, and OC). One person at a time is educated,then thatperson starts OC, then they become a pro-gun activists and stand up for what they believe. As a result, people will elect officials who will change anti gun laws and thus the legal system is improved. Don't get discouraged because we don't see positive changes in the legal system every day. It is a slow hard battle, but I do believe we are seeing progress.

Edit: clarifying statements

Kelly J

imported post

dngreer wrote:
Kelly J wrote:
dngreer wrote:

We cannot measure our success on a state level. True, a change in a state's policy on OC is evidence of success, but the real change happens on a personal level. One person at a time is educated,then thatperson starts OC, then they become a pro-gun activists and stand up for what they believe. Don't get discouraged because we don't see positive changes in the legal system every day. It is a slow hard battle, but I do believe we are seeing progress.

I fail to understand your response, you can not strap on a weapon and go into the public domain and get a thing started other than the reading of your Rights (Miranda).

We have to get a thing established by City, County, State National or it simply won't work.

Maybe I missed your point if so please expand it a bit, as I fail to understand the phrase "on a personal level"!

Superlite27

imported post

I also live in Missouri, and I've been told by someone who co-wrote the CCW wording in the current Missouri statute that they are working to "clarify the definition of 'open carry' state wide". (I'd give this person's name, but I haven't asked permission to quote them. As a matter of fact, I'm almost positive they definately wouldn'twant to be mentioned.)

As explained to me, the current political establishment in Missouri is becomingvery "gun friendly". People have been working for CCW in Missouri for ten or so years. Now that it has passed, the legislature has seen that blood has failed to run in the streets, and have become a little more open minded towards firearms. (This is evidenced by the recent passage of the Castle Doctrine.)

The person I know has told me that the current strategy is to keep the "ANTI-gunners" on the defensive. I'm sure you can guess, that if you are constantly fighting to keep gun-friendly laws from being passed, you can't afford to take the time to propose anti-gun legislation.

As far as I know, there are only two Missouri counties that expressly ban open carry. When it comes to city ordinances though, it's a checkerboard. So ALWAYS check the local statutes where you are carrying.

Kelly J

imported post

Superlite27 wrote:
I also live in Missouri, and I've been told by someone who co-wrote the CCW wording in the current Missouri statute that they are working to "clarify the definition of 'open carry' state wide". (I'd give this person's name, but I haven't asked permission to quote them. As a matter of fact, I'm almost positive they definately wouldn'twant to be mentioned.)

As explained to me, the current political establishment in Missouri is becomingvery "gun friendly". People have been working for CCW in Missouri for ten or so years. Now that it has passed, the legislature has seen that blood has failed to run in the streets, and have become a little more open minded towards firearms. (This is evidenced by the recent passage of the Castle Doctrine.)

The person I know has told me that the current strategy is to keep the "ANTI-gunners" on the defensive. I'm sure you can guess, that if you are constantly fighting to keep gun-friendly laws from being passed, you can't afford to take the time to propose anti-gun legislation.

As far as I know, there are only two Missouri counties that expressly ban open carry. When it comes to city ordinances though, it's a checkerboard. So ALWAYS check the local statutes where you are carrying.
Thanks for the information, I'm sure all will be watching to see if this comes to pass!